Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
klausy
klausy began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
help

Just got my Kobo and was told yep just use calibre its super easy. I've found it nothing but difficult so far. I have downloaded e-books but when i try to send them to disk I get this errot : kobo database version unsupported... Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version As Calibre has not been updated, database editing is disabled. You can enable support for your Kobo in plugin preferences. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset. before selecting the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option you should be familiar with restoring your Kobo to factory defaults.

I'm not sure what this is asking me to do... any help appreciated

Klausy
klausy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Go to the calibre Preferences menu, and then look down at the bottom under Advanced.

Find the Plugins icon and select that.

Expand the Device Interface Plugins line and look for Kobo Reader Device Interface; highlight that line and select Customize Plugin.

Finally click the Attempt to support new box and click OK

This was a new "feature" just added this week.....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't like Calibre much. It's a bit confusing, at least for me it is. Instead I go to the codes and tweak here and there manually. Most formatting issues can be fixed straight in the .css file.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Maybe it's an obvious question, but did you check out the Kobo forum? This was posted there about 6 hours before you posted here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
I don't like Calibre much. It's a bit confusing, at least for me it is. Instead I go to the codes and tweak here and there manually. Most formatting issues can be fixed straight in the .css file.
What does this have to do with anything? Calibre is not an editor. It's a book manager/database with conversion functionality. If you're editing a book, use a tool designed for editing a book, like Sigil. But that's completely unrelated to klausy's issue.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Moved to the Kobo forum
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #6
Delfic_Clearo
Delfic_Clearo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
What does this have to do with anything? Calibre is not an editor. It's a book manager/database with conversion functionality. If you're editing a book, use a tool designed for editing a book, like Sigil. But that's completely unrelated to klausy's issue.
Ah, but it gives the poster a chance to flare his advancedskill-set. He tweaks here, posits there, and, if it were 35 years ago, he 'goes straight to the assembly language and doesn't puss around with the interpreted code'.

So there!

An at Klausy's expense, I fear.
Delfic_Clearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 AM   #7
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Go to the calibre Preferences menu, and then look down at the bottom under Advanced.

Find the Plugins icon and select that.

Expand the Device Interface Plugins line and look for Kobo Reader Device Interface; highlight that line and select Customize Plugin.

Finally click the Attempt to support new box and click OK

This was a new "feature" just added this week.....
Huh? You must have a different kind of crystal ball. Device Interface Plugins/Kobo Device Interface is not in Calibre 0.8.60, is not listed among the plugins at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=237 and is not mentioned in the Calibre Plugins subforum, as far as I can see.

Plugin not released yet or released but withdrawn?

Be nice to have to try to get some control of my, er, new brick.
GvilleBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #8
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by klausy View Post
Just got my Kobo and was told yep just use calibre its super easy. I've found it nothing but difficult so far. I have downloaded e-books but when i try to send them to disk I get this errot : kobo database version unsupported... Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version As Calibre has not been updated, database editing is disabled. You can enable support for your Kobo in plugin preferences. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset. before selecting the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option you should be familiar with restoring your Kobo to factory defaults.

I'm not sure what this is asking me to do... any help appreciated

Klausy
Calibre v0.8.60 includes a check for firmware compatibility due to a new firmware issued by Kobo. This is what is causing your problem. This was new in 0.8.60 and is not in previous versions. It's further complicated because Kobo have now temporarily pulled the firmware update. On earlier versions you shouldn't have a problem, unless you run into the USB drop out issue, hopefully you won't.

The simplest answer is to uninstall Calibre v0.8.60 and download a previous version from the Calibre previous version page here. I'm running 0.8.59 and it runs fine with the Kobo. Thereafter I'd hold off on processing any Calibre updates until the dust settles on the Kobo firmware update.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleBridge View Post
Huh? You must have a different kind of crystal ball. Device Interface Plugins/Kobo Device Interface is not in Calibre 0.8.60, is not listed among the plugins at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=237 and is not mentioned in the Calibre Plugins subforum, as far as I can see.

Plugin not released yet or released but withdrawn?

Be nice to have to try to get some control of my, er, new brick.
There are a lot of plugins included in the base calibre install. The "Kobo Reader Device Interface" is one of these. Follow PeterT's instructions to get to the configuration for this plugin.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur
GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.GvilleBridge knows the chase is better than the catch.

Quote:
There are a lot of plugins included in the base calibre install. The "Kobo Reader Device Interface" is one of these. Follow PeterT's instructions to get to the configuration for this plugin.
So now we have the problem of different Calibres on different PCs? It is to laugh.

My first version of Calibre was like 0.7.29 around Jan. 2011. I've been updating virtually weekly (?) ever since. And my Calibre 0.8.60 (the one that doesn't like Kobo firmware 2.0 either) does not produce menus like PeterT's or davidfor's. Screenshot1 shows the Preferences top menu: no Advanced submenu. 2 and 3 show the alpha section of the plugins that should have either Device Interface Plugins or Kobo Reader Device Interfaces: no such plugins.

When I updated to 0.8.60 I happened to install it by clicking through from the homepage to the Windows version. If that's not a "base Calibre install" I don't know what is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreScreenshot1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	89161   Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreScreenshot2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	89162   Click image for larger version

Name:	CalibreScreenshot3.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	89163  
Old 07-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
So now we have the problem of different Calibres on different PCs? It is to laugh.

My first version of Calibre was like 0.7.29 around Jan. 2011. I've been updating virtually weekly (?) ever since. And my Calibre 0.8.60 (the one that doesn't like Kobo firmware 2.0 either) does not produce menus like PeterT's or davidfor's. Screenshot1 shows the Preferences top menu: no Advanced submenu. 2 and 3 show the alpha section of the plugins that should have either Device Interface Plugins or Kobo Reader Device Interfaces: no such plugins.

When I updated to 0.8.60 I happened to install it by clicking through from the homepage to the Windows version. If that's not a "base Calibre install" I don't know what is.
To get the advanced menu for Preferences, click on the icon not the arrow on the side (which is what gives you the menu you are showing). The plugins menu that Peter refers to is near the bottom of the next screen. Or re-run the welcome wizard so you can choose the correct device interface. You're not looking in the right place for what Peter suggested to do.
I understand your frustration but people are trying to help you, out of the kindness of their hearts, not because they are obligated. It helps to be somewhat more positive if you want them to continue to do so...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 07-14-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It is NIT a user plugin; it is a DEVICE INTERFACE plugin.. This is why I said Preferences | Advanced | ....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
GVC2031
Enthusiast
GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.GVC2031 's soul has travelled the oceans between the stars.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It is NIT a user plugin... (snip)
I love it when people speak like Inspector Clouseau!
GVC2031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
GvilleBridge
Connoisseur

Gee, I had no idea I was such a dummie! Not supposed to read submenus, must only look on icons!

You honestly think that's a good user interface?

But, anyway, thanks for leading me by the hand!

Last edited by GvilleBridge; 07-14-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #15
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Gee, I had no idea I was such a dummie! Not supposed to read submenus, must only look on icons!

You honestly think that's a good user interface?

But, anyway, thanks for leading me by the hand!
I, and many others have no problem with it... It's FREE, and like MobileRead supported by many generous people who give their time and expertise for FREE and it does a lot of amazing things to help you convert books and manage a library and you're not OBLIGED to use it.. Thanks...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote