Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
My most deepest apologies... I hadn't realized that you were the bar against which all things are measured.
I'm glad you apologized. (I was running out of popcorn and bubble gum. Warning: Do not eat both at the same time!)

I love the new firmware, but that's just me.

I tried turning my Kobo Aura One upside down, just to see if it made any difference in my reading, but nothing changed except now everything is upside down!

What kind of hammer did you have in mind, by the way?

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-03-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I agree with OP, I really dislike any header, and I also dislike how often Kobo does firmware updates. Coming from a Sony 350 which I think had 1 (maybe 2 at the most) firmware patches over the course of its life (the reader just worked, it didn't need constant patching). Kobo's updates are often risky, they fix something but that breaks something else that worked well. In the past I also had firmware that constantly gave me those same error messages no matter what I tried. Constantly having to restore the reader to factory gets old quick.

My solution at that time was to downgrade to another firmware and the errors and not being able to connect to my computer instantly went away. I stayed on that firmware with my original Kobo Glo for almost 2 years before I risked updating it again.

Now I have the Kobo Glo HD and just stick with firmware that I know has the options I like. I never risk updating when new firmware comes out, I wait to read through the threads about any issues and what the real changes are. I keep wifi off, I prefer to sideload all my books so that's not an issue for me. I also patch the firmware. It's very seldom the firmware updates actually improve anything (for my reading tastes at least, I know others love some of the newest features). Right now I'm on firmware 4.12.12111 before the header changes and have no intention of letting it upgrade.

Compared to other reader hardware though, I absolutely love Kobo the best. And the patches allow you to tweak most anything to your liking. If SirLoyne doesn't need wifi on, just downgrading to a firmware that plays nice with his PC and that has the features he likes would be the best option. Once you get to that point, it's an absolutely great ereader, a joy to use. Yes, there's some fiddling around at first, but most readers don't even let you do that, and downgrading is actually quite easy.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #18
Pumpernickel
sandwich
Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.Pumpernickel composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: none
Sorry to hear about this. I had issues with the Kobo Aura ONE but mainly from their uneven lighting. I find that it's easy to toggle the header and footer off on Kobos. Koreader might help you get a better reading experience.

Kobos dominate the Canadian market, and if they were doing very badly then they would not be releasing more devices. Yet they have been with Best Buy and Indigo for years. Give them a chance and drop the hostility, because I don't see why it's necessary to be so hostile to members on this board who just want to help you
Pumpernickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
I'm sorry... what forced you to jump to the conclusion that I didn't look around in the update. My complaint began with a very specific change. How would I know that I couldn't put it back the way it was if I didn't look?
The thing I don't like about 4.18.x is that KePub page numbers change with the size of the font. Makes the page numbering pretty much worthless... but I've ranted about this already in another thread.

Last edited by rcentros; 11-03-2019 at 01:44 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
What you don't get is that I would have the page nubers displayed at the bottom withe the chapter so I would know how much of the chapter was left.
I'm with you there.

There's a patch out, but since it's new it currently only works properly if you leave both header and footer on.

To me, that's too much wasted space, so I leave the chapter info in the header. Don't believe Jon. You don't get used to it. It continues to suck. But at least there's the hope that a proper fix is in the works.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
BTW: I'm sure it says something about me. But having read through this whole thread, and replied, I still read the subject as Boy, Do I Hate My Job
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #22
Claude_C
Zealot
Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Claude_C solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Take a deep breath. Go take a walk. Buy a beer or something. Punch a pillow.

I don't know... But don't take your frustration on a forum where people are here to help...

My 2 cents.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:45 PM   #23
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi, Kobo Aura 6", Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Boy, Do I Hate My Job
Give it a little more time, and check out all the options, and you might like it better...
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I agree with OP, I really dislike any header, and I also dislike how often Kobo does firmware updates. Coming from a Sony 350 which I think had 1 (maybe 2 at the most) firmware patches over the course of its life (the reader just worked, it didn't need constant patching). Kobo's updates are often risky, they fix something but that breaks something else that worked well. In the past I also had firmware that constantly gave me those same error messages no matter what I tried. Constantly having to restore the reader to factory gets old quick.
Kobo comes out with new firmware when they come out with new Readers. Sony hardly came out with new Readers. Also, most older Kobo Readers can run the new firmware. Your 350 didn't get the new features of the T1 because Sony switched to Android. You can keep your Kobo at an older firmware if you want. I was running 4.7.x before I switched to 4.18.x, The 4.7.x firmware working without issue. I just wanted some of the new features of 4.18.x.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:16 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm with you there.

There's a patch out, but since it's new it currently only works properly if you leave both header and footer on.

To me, that's too much wasted space, so I leave the chapter info in the header. Don't believe Jon. You don't get used to it. It continues to suck. But at least there's the hope that a proper fix is in the works.
It's already been said that the header and footer share some of the same code and a new patch was not going to happen. So your choices are to swap the header/footer and leave both on, leave both as is and on or leave both as is and turn one or the other off. I like having the page numbers for the chapter and I am not going to give up the page numbers for the full book.

Yes, you do get used to it.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #26
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony, Nook, Onyx, Boyue, Kindle
Run Koreader. Done.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:54 PM   #27
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's already been said that the header and footer share some of the same code and a new patch was not going to happen. So your choices are to swap the header/footer and leave both on, leave both as is and on or leave both as is and turn one or the other off. I like having the page numbers for the chapter and I am not going to give up the page numbers for the full book.

Yes, you do get used to it.
Actually what was said was

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
No, it turns out too much of the code for the header and footer is shared with each other for me to easily change it for only one of them (and I don't have time to do it the long way right now).
Emphasis mine. Which is a rather far cry from “not going to happen”.

There’s also the choice to roll back to a previous firmware which displayed the info how you liked with all the various steps doing so requires.

And please spare the argument of “4.18 is better they should upgrade” its just hilarious coming from someone who stuck with 4.7 rather than adjust to issues they had in 4.15.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:09 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
And please spare the argument of “4.18 is better they should upgrade” its just hilarious coming from someone who stuck with 4.7 rather than adjust to issues they had in 4.15.
Even more hilarious when you consider how many "Don't use this thread as there is a new firmware version out" posts he has made.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:20 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Actually what was said was

Emphasis mine. Which is a rather far cry from “not going to happen”.

There’s also the choice to roll back to a previous firmware which displayed the info how you liked with all the various steps doing so requires.

4.15 has a bug where sometimes it forgets where you left off in an ePub. So I didn't go for 4.15. Then 4.16 came out and by the time the patches were ready, the first version 4.17 came out. By the time the patches were ready, we had a second version 4.17. I did install that. Then 4.18 came out and I went for that once the patches were ready.

So yes, I have experience with many different firmware version. I've had my H2O for 5 years.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #30
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
4.15 has a bug where sometimes it forgets where you left off in an ePub. So I didn't go for 4.15. Then 4.16 came out and by the time the patches were ready, the first version 4.17 came out. By the time the patches were ready, we had a second version 4.17. I did install that. Then 4.18 came out and I went for that once the patches were ready.

So yes, I have experience with many different firmware version. I've had my H2O for 5 years.
But you could have adjusted to using kepub you get used to whatever it is you dislike in it.
MGlitch is online now   Reply With Quote