Notices

Old 11-19-2023, 06:33 PM   #1
am_mread
Head Goat
am_mread is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11.
Kindle PW Gen11, AZW3 files & calibre Webserver

Howdy Friends,

I've just noticed that the Web browser on my PW no longer will no longer allow me to download an AZW3 file from the calibre web server. Error is "Invalid File Type... Only files with the extension .AZW, .PRC, .MOBI, or .TXT".

This is new behaviour on the Kindle, prior to firmware 5.16.4 it would allow .AZW3 downloads.

Seems lie a bug to me on the Kindle side, but not sure if there is some way that calibre can help work around it.

Thanks,
Arthur
am_mread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 06:54 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Create a "dual mobi" in Calibre. Ancient models will see the mobi part and the other part is actually an azw3 and should be perfect if you select "Publisher", or may default on some models. Works on a PW3 and has a mobi file ending.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
am_mread
Head Goat

Thanks @Quoth, I'll research how to do that and give it a try.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:57 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Create a "dual mobi" in Calibre. Ancient models will see the mobi part and the other part is actually an azw3 and should be perfect if you select "Publisher", or may default on some models. Works on a PW3 and has a mobi file ending.
That doesn't help when the original file is in KF8. It also means each eBook will take up maybe more then twice the size and you end up with less free disk space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 01:42 PM   #5
am_mread
Head Goat

Thanks @Quoth & @JSWolf.

I got it to work and exactly how I wanted it to. I was able to download the MOBI to the PW via the calibre Webserver, the cover image works, and it was not classified as a "Document".

For reference here's what I did:

Mobi Output Options:
MOBI file Type: "new" (I have a PW Gen 11, so don't need to worry about compatibility).
Personal Doc tag: "[EBOK]" (this ensures that the book is not classified as a "Document").

In my case by not using "both", the difference in size is comparable to the increase in size of a converted AZW3.
Advert
Old 11-20-2023, 02:52 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I forgot about "new" which might really be an azw3 made to look like a mobi (I never figured why I'd want that! You have!).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote