Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #91
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Product: Aura
Firmware: 2.5.2
Plugins: KoboTouchExtended 1.3.3
File types: kepub (?)
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: sideloaded
On external SD: main memory

I was editing (in html) a scanned book, added it to Calibre. Transfered it to the Aura. When there was italic on words in a sentence the space around the italic words doesn't show.

Ex. "This is an example." shows as "Thisis anexample."

First I thought I was doing something wrong (as a newbie to Calibre and Kobo) but I later realized that it was the same in an Amazon-bought book (Inferno).

Anyone else seen this? I have not tried to change fonts etc.
Nearly every single case of this I have seen the spaces were missing in the source. The ones were that wasn't the case, it was a font issue. The font used made it hard to see the spaces. Changing fonts or sizes made it more obvious. Changing the alignment between justified and left can also change the spacing so that it is more obvious.

Any chance of seeing the book? If it can't be posted, PM for an address you can send it to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #92
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Plugins: KoboTouchExtended 1.3.3
Quote:
I was editing (in html) a scanned book, added it to Calibre. Transfered it to the Aura. When there was italic on words in a sentence the space around the italic words doesn't show.
I think there is a problem with spacing in the KoboTouchExtended driver. See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...211135&page=20
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #93
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Product:

Aura HD

Firmware:

File types:

ePub

Sideloaded or from Kobobooks:

Sideloaded

On external SD:

No

Steps to reproduce:

Long-press any book in library, choose "Mark as finished". Nothing happens.

Current result:

Book is not marked as finished.

Workaround:

Mark as finished using another method.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #94
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
Product:

Aura HD

Firmware:

File types:

ePub

Sideloaded

On external SD:

No

Steps to reproduce:

Long-press any book in library, choose "Mark as finished". Nothing happens.

Current result:

Book is not marked as finished.

Workaround:

Mark as finished using another method.
Can't reproduce that. Worked as it should (same "setup"). Also works normal on other types of books, sideloaded or from Kobo.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #95
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Can't reproduce that. Worked as it should (same "setup"). Also works normal on other types of books, sideloaded or from Kobo.
Ok, I might have got the location the wrong way round - perhaps it works fine when done in Library, but does nothing when done from elsewhere - try long-pressing a book on the homescreen tile and choose "Mark as finished".
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #96
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
Ok, I might have got the location the wrong way round - perhaps it works fine when done in Library, but does nothing when done from elsewhere - try long-pressing a book on the homescreen tile and choose "Mark as finished".
I can only select "dismiss tile" or "open" when long pressing a homescreen tile. There is no "finished" option.

I can mark the book as finished from the shelves and from inside the book normally as well.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #97
gers1978
Addict

Ok, I'm not sure where I seen it then, but last night I *definitely* long-pressed a book and chose "Mark as finished" and nothing happened. I tried a few times. Then when I did "Mark as finished" on the same book, from somewhere else in the UI, I got a message saying "Marked as finished", and indeed "Books finished" on the home screen increased by 1...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #98
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
@gers1978: can you reproduce now the same bug with the same book?
@Jaden: have you used a sideloaded epub to test this bug?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #99
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
@Jaden: have you used a sideloaded epub to test this bug?
Yep (that was what I meant by "same setup" ).

I tried with sideloaded epub, sideloaded kepub, kepub from kobo, cbz and a pdf - worked well with every book from the library, a shelf and inside the book. Can't do it from the homescreen since there is no option to do that.

@gers1978: Maybe it's not a general bug but has to do with that one book only?
Old 06-02-2013, 04:01 AM   #100
dimm
dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis
Product:
Aura
(maybe Glo, Touch, Mini)

Firmware:

File types:
any

both

Steps to reproduce:
With time: few books finished with extensive using of dictionary (relevant for non-native English speakers)

Current result:
Dictionary starts to work very slowly. After word selection is done, pop-up window with definition starts to appear in 5-6 seconds. Opening full dictionary take same time.

Workaround:
Connected Aura to computer, find KoboReader.sqlite database file and open it in SQLite browser (or any util that can work with sqlite database).

You need to remove entries of specific type from Event table.
Write and execute SQL query:
DELETE FROM Event WHERE EventType=9;

After that restart device.
dimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:49 AM   #101
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Added to Unconfirmed bugs for now, I hope someone can confirm it, with use or adding some fictional db entry
Old 06-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #102
dimm
dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.dimm is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis
Very easy to reproduce. Just add 6000 (as it was in my case) entries into table Event, where EventType is equal 9. And try to use dictionary.

Why Kobo logs each call to dictionary I don't know. It's not very clever idea. Such design definitely not good for people working extensively with dictionary.
dimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #103
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Does it log also identical searches (same book, same string) to different rows?
Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #104
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I can confirm the problem and workaround. I only had 408 rows, but I have done a factory reset recently. Removing all except one, made the dictionary lookup a lot faster.

The bug is probably that rows are not being deleted. The database updates tend to be an insert and a delete, rather than updating the existing row. And it isn't updating the EventCount properly. The row doesn't show what you looked up, just when and the total number of lookups.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #105
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

This is very strange. What is the convenience to have a lookup table without the searched string? Maybe they have created another table, but why?

You said "The database updates tend to be an insert and a delete, rather than updating the existing row". Do you intercepted the firmware queries?

Tags
pocket app