Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2021, 01:00 AM   #1
x20920
x20920 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Unhappy can't download word wise on 5.13.7

hello guys, after I upgraded the firmware of my kindle paperwhite 3 to 5.13.7, all my sideloaded DRM-free books can't download word wise and x-ray automatically any longer, but the books I bought from amazon works fine, has anyone met the same issue?

Last edited by x20920; 08-30-2021 at 01:05 AM.
x20920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:11 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I don't understand how a kindle could be expected to automatically download an x-ray file for a non-amazon book. How could that happen and where would it download the x-ray file from?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 02:22 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You could check the WordDumb plugin for calibre. It's readme says "This plugin will generate Word Wise and X-Ray files then send them to Kindle. Supports KFX, AZW3 and MOBI eBooks."
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It is possible that the change may be at Amazon's servers, not in the new Kindle firmware version. As far as I can tell sideloading a book will no longer cause the associated sidecar files to be downloaded unless the book is present in your Kindle library at Amazon.

I may be wrong about this because I have a limited set of devices to test with. I would be interested in hearing whether anyone else can duplicate this finding using a Kindle with the previous firmware version 5.13.6.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 05:21 PM   #5
x20920

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't understand how a kindle could be expected to automatically download an x-ray file for a non-amazon book. How could that happen and where would it download the x-ray file from?
They are amazon books, someone else bought the book from amazon, and removed DRM of the book, so that you can copy the book into any other Kindle device, and it would automatically download word wise and x-ray from amazon server. But now it doesn't work any more.
Advert
Old 08-30-2021, 05:53 PM   #6
x20920

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You could check the WordDumb plugin for calibre. It's readme says "This plugin will generate Word Wise and X-Ray files then send them to Kindle. Supports KFX, AZW3 and MOBI eBooks."
Thank you very much, I tried it and it's useful and terrific!
Old 08-30-2021, 09:49 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by x20920 View Post
They are amazon books, someone else bought the book from amazon, and removed DRM of the book, so that you can copy the book into any other Kindle device, and it would automatically download word wise and x-ray from amazon server. But now it doesn't work any more.
Ummm... Mobileread does not condone nor support book piracy.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:41 AM   #8
junioryoudare
junioryoudare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Last gen
I have the same problem, I have some amazon bought but drm-free books but they lately stopped downloading x-ray and wordwise features from amazon servers, I have two other kindle devices running different software versions but all have the same problem.

And it began approximately 2-3 weeks ago. I guess amazon found a way to prevent only drm free amazon bought sideloaded books from downloading xray-wordwise otherwise my other kindles running older versions would have downloaded those files.

I have checked some of the books from overdrive and only if when the said book showed up in my kindle content menu in servers the book downloaded x-ray and wordwise.

So I guess it is time for me to move on from using wordwise altogether. When I first started learning English, reading books with wordwise on was a tremendous help. Now, though, I do not need it that much anyway, but was using it as a habit. Also, the only reason for me to use kindles exclusively was wordwise and x-ray features I will not be able to use them now I might as well try kobo and nook devices.
junioryoudare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
never mind.
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:03 AM   #10
x20920

I suppose you are right, Amazon has banned downloading wordwise and x-ray for DRM-free books from the server end. Now I'm using WordDumb plugin for calibre to generate wordwise and x-ray for my ebooks, it is easy to use and the effect is terrrific, you may take it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junioryoudare View Post
I have the same problem, I have some amazon bought but drm-free books but they lately stopped downloading x-ray and wordwise features from amazon servers, I have two other kindle devices running different software versions but all have the same problem.

And it began approximately 2-3 weeks ago. I guess amazon found a way to prevent only drm free amazon bought sideloaded books from downloading xray-wordwise otherwise my other kindles running older versions would have downloaded those files.

I have checked some of the books from overdrive and only if when the said book showed up in my kindle content menu in servers the book downloaded x-ray and wordwise.

So I guess it is time for me to move on from using wordwise altogether. When I first started learning English, reading books with wordwise on was a tremendous help. Now, though, I do not need it that much anyway, but was using it as a habit. Also, the only reason for me to use kindles exclusively was wordwise and x-ray features I will not be able to use them now I might as well try kobo and nook devices.

Last edited by x20920; 09-03-2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:41 AM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From my testing it appears that Amazon is being very frugal about delivering these files for sideloaded books. I downloaded a book using Download & Transfer and sideloaded it to my Oasis. Shortly afterwards the X-ray and Wordwise files appeared.

I removed the book and sideloaded the same file again. This time no extra files appeared. I was only able to trigger delivery of those files by first making another Download & Transfer request for the same book.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:57 AM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by x20920 View Post
Moderator Notice
The next request for help with pirated books or reference to having pirated books will result in a ban. This is your only warning.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
From my testing it appears that Amazon is being very frugal about delivering these files for sideloaded books. I downloaded a book using Download & Transfer and sideloaded it to my Oasis. Shortly afterwards the X-ray and Wordwise files appeared.

I removed the book and sideloaded the same file again. This time no extra files appeared. I was only able to trigger delivery of those files by first making another Download & Transfer request for the same book.
Before you removed the book, did you notice or check whether the KFX version was downloaded and replaced the KF8 before the X-ray and Wordwise files were downloaded?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Before you removed the book, did you notice or check whether the KFX version was downloaded and replaced the KF8 before the X-ray and Wordwise files were downloaded?
The .azw3 file that I sideloaded was still present after the supplemental files appeared.

Tags
5.13.7, drm-free, word wise