Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-12-2021, 10:43 AM   #61
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I hear you; I have high myopia and progressive lenses also. Have you tried the soap trick? If so and that's failed, try tape. I used it pretty routinely in theatre.
I haven't worn a mask since the beginning of June, so making it work is no longer necessary. So unless I need to visit someone in the hospital, I won't worry about it.

Went to calling hours yesterday, saw probably 150+ people waiting in line before and after us, not one mask anywhere. Still a few people using masks at church, those who still sit social distancing in the fellowship hall, watching a streamed feed from the worship center.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #62
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Thankfully I seldom have to wear a mask anymore too. I stay home most of the time. I too have the progressive lenses, and they need to be in a specific location to see properly, without straining my neck anyway. I never found a good solution other than learning to use a breathing technique to lessen the fog, and it is only so effective. I'm just glad I'm retired and didn't have to wear a mask very often since I could stay home most of the time.

Air pressure is going to take the path of least resistance, and unfortunately that tends to be around the upper nose portion of the mask.

Everyone's face is unique, so chances of finding a great fit is pretty slim, especially with the cheaper masks. The cloth ones probably came from China, and most of those fit worse than the cheap surgical models. A rubberized mask would be too hot, heavy, and uncomfortable. At some point I just gave up trying different masks and made do with what I had.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2021, 02:52 PM   #63
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Everyone's face is unique, so chances of finding a great fit is pretty slim, especially with the cheaper masks. The cloth ones probably came from China, and most of those fit worse than the cheap surgical models
The best cloth masks I have are those made by friends. Proper three-layer construction, axe style, and a great fit without much mouth contact.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:55 PM   #64
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The only truly effective mask is a N-100 respirator.

Everything else is about like using a chain link fence to stop a mosquito.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:04 PM   #65
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post

Last time I looked at a N-100, it had an exhalation valve which makes it useless for the purpose of preventing you from spraying the neighbourhood with droplets. Given that an N95 mask blocks 95% of 0.3 μm particles and most of the droplets exhaled by humans are in the 5-10 μm and up range, suggesting a N-100 mask with an exhalation valve for less than a 5% increase in inbound filtration is risible.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2021, 04:22 AM   #66
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Last time I looked at a N-100, it had an exhalation valve which makes it useless for the purpose of preventing you from spraying the neighbourhood with droplets. Given that an N95 mask blocks 95% of 0.3 μm particles and most of the droplets exhaled by humans are in the 5-10 μm and up range, suggesting a N-100 mask with an exhalation valve for less than a 5% increase in inbound filtration is risible.
I think there are some zones in Spain where they are forbidden because of the valve.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #67
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post

What the others have said, plus the N-100 is designed for use in construction and other industries when you need to avoid breathing in things like asbestos, lead, etc. They were never designed for healthcare.

The "everything else" you refer to are good at protecting others from your exhalations, and do a decent job with protecting you too, although no mask works as well as the N-95 for pandemic protection.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #68
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Interesting observation today - I visited my local ABC store (liquor store for non-North Carolinians) - where I had observed the highest incidence of customers no longer wearing masks.
The store employees have all remained masked and kept the huge plexiglass barriers up at the check out counter. They have now reinstated the "In only" and "Exit only" door signs, and made the aisle traffic one way again. I wasn't expecting it and nearly fell over a barrier.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:44 PM   #69
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Interesting observation today - I visited my local ABC store (liquor store for non-North Carolinians) - where I had observed the highest incidence of customers no longer wearing masks.
The store employees have all remained masked and kept the huge plexiglass barriers up at the check out counter. They have now reinstated the "In only" and "Exit only" door signs, and made the aisle traffic one way again. I wasn't expecting it and nearly fell over a barrier.
According to a CNN article, new COVID-19 cases are surging in 45 states:

Quote:
Just as health experts predicted, the combination of unvaccinated people and the more contagious Delta strain of coronavirus has led to new Covid-19 surges.

In 45 states, the rates of new cases this past week are at least 10% higher than the rates of new cases the previous week, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

In 34 states, new cases this past week are at least 50% higher than new cases the previous week.
The 4th of July holiday gatherings are likely going to drive those numbers up even more.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:39 PM   #70
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup! NC cases are increasing every day, and the percent of positive cases is over 5% again - which was the 'magic' figure to allow the mask mandate, and other restrictions, to expire. No talk of that now though.

Just got a fresh supply of KN95 masks - as long as there is a significant unvaccinated pool, the virus will keep mutating into more efficient strains.
Old 07-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Yup! NC cases are increasing every day, and the percent of positive cases is over 5% again - which was the 'magic' figure to allow the mask mandate, and other restrictions, to expire. No talk of that now though.

Just got a fresh supply of KN95 masks - as long as there is a significant unvaccinated pool, the virus will keep mutating into more efficient strains.
As one comedian said, "When you are out shopping, it's easy to recognize vaccinated people. They're the ones wearing masks."

Looking at NC's stats, it appears that 4.47 million (42.7%) are fully vaccinated and 500 thousand (0.5%) have had one shot. The other 6 million are willing to take their chances.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #72
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
As one comedian said, "When you are out shopping, it's easy to recognize vaccinated people. They're the ones wearing masks."

Looking at NC's stats, it appears that 4.47 million (42.7%) are fully vaccinated and 500 thousand (0.5%) have had one shot. The other 6 million are willing to take their chances.
Yeah, given the fact that at the height of the pandemic in 2020, armed groups wearing camouflage demonstrated daily outside the governor's mansion and burned masks in the street - NC never had a ghost of a chance to reach anything close to herd immunity levels of vaccinations. You just gotta look out for, and protect, yourself.
Old 07-13-2021, 06:46 PM   #73
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Getting on an airplane on Friday. Just realized I always wear my glasses when I fly and I'll have to wear a mask too. I never got used to the fogging glasses, I just always wore my contacts.

Oh well, I nap on flights most of the time anyway.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:20 PM   #74
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
That is more than likely true in real life.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #75
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
That is more than likely true in real life.
Not here. Very few people wear masks where I live, but 44% are vaccinated.

I'm vaccinated and I don't wear a mask.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote