Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-03-2021, 09:56 AM   #601
rantanplan
Addict
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma & Elipsa, Vision 5, Oasis (2019) and Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The database is being corrupted because something is going wrong. What, I have no idea, just something is preventing the database from be written correctly. It can happen when you don't eject the device correctly at the wrong time. It would also happen if the process updating the database had crashed without the the database being save properly.

It could be calibre. I would not expect so, but, there could be something new on the device that disagrees with calibre. To check that, you would need to test the database before using calibre. You can do that from any SQLite database management tool. And check again after using calibre before ejecting.
I had that problem with a Macbook in the past. The Libra kept randomly disconnecting during transfer and kept corrupting the database to a degree that I needed to reset the device several times a month. Back then I thought Kobo was just shit and I sold it unfortunately, but it kept happening with my Tolino and my Pocketbooks too, so just keep in mind that it could be the cable or a Macbook.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #602
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@davidfor I wonder if the addition of usb-C has introduced issues?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2021, 12:11 PM   #603
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Forma, Libra, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The errors tell me that the database has been corrupted. The messages from check says it is corrupted in ways that it cannot be recovered. Or at least I don't know of a way to recover it.

The database is being corrupted because something is going wrong. What, I have no idea, just something is preventing the database from be written correctly. It can happen when you don't eject the device correctly at the wrong time. It would also happen if the process updating the database had crashed without the the database being save properly.

It could be calibre. I would not expect so, but, there could be something new on the device that disagrees with calibre. To check that, you would need to test the database before using calibre. You can do that from any SQLite database management tool. And check again after using calibre before ejecting.

It could also be some interaction with your PC. Testing with another PC would help to check this.

It could be a hardware problem. As it seems to be happening continuously for you, that is likely. I don't think I have seen another report of a problem with the database on an Elipsa.

Other than doing some of these tests, and keeping track of what you are doing so that you can see a pattern for when it happens, I don't have any suggestions. You can contact Kobo and they could ask for a log file to look at. That gets produced in developers mode. Unfortunately, it is now encrypted so we can't look at it. Or, they might decide it is a hardware problem and exchange it.
Reading you and rantaplan, I'm starting to think that the problem is with Elipsa or its cable. I tried using other USB-C cables, and they don't work, just as Elipsa's cable doesn't work with other devices, so I can't test the cable. And my PC (a Surface Book 2 15" with bells and whistles) works fine with the Forma and Libra. Of course, there are many more books on the Elipsa, notably those I can't read on smaller Kobos, but neither of you points at problems issuing from books. And since I have the Elipsa (24 June), I synchronize Elipsa and Libra (the 4200 items present on both) every morning, since I read on the Elipsa at home, and the Libra outside.

So I probably should contact Kobo, but I won't be home for more than 2 weeks at a time until the end of September, so I will do it then. I'll have to save the database very often meanwhile, but I don't want to miss the pleasure of reading on Elipsa books I couldn't read comfortably before. And they mostly are big books I have more time for on holidays.

Last edited by anacreon; 07-03-2021 at 12:13 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #604
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O, Forma & Elipsa
FWIW, the USB-C connector is weirdly "grippy" on mine, and it *will* detect a contact very early, so, perhaps make sure it's *fully* seated (which is... somewhat impractical given its location, as you've got to get a good grip on the device with your other hand)?

(I haven't tried any other cable than the stock one, though).

I've also barely used it in USBMS mode, but I haven't had any weirdness happen over USBNet, FWIW.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #605
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
When using the cover, I've noticed that you really need to push the cable in firmly or it won't stay connected.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #606
ewphoenix123
Groupie
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Reading you and rantaplan, I'm starting to think that the problem is with Elipsa or its cable. I tried using other USB-C cables, and they don't work, just as Elipsa's cable doesn't work with other devices, so I can't test the cable.

My Elipsa works wirh the same USB-C cable that came with my Samsung tablet, and two different Amazon Basic cables.
Doesn't seem to be anything special about the connection.

Maybe try a powered usb hub, often helps with wonky usb if yor internal usb-controller is missbehaving, or can't provide enough/stable power.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 01:59 PM   #607
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
FWIW, the USB-C connector is weirdly "grippy" on mine, and it *will* detect a contact very early, so, perhaps make sure it's *fully* seated (which is... somewhat impractical given its location, as you've got to get a good grip on the device with your other hand)?

I've also barely used it in USBMS mode, but I haven't had any weirdness happen over USBNet, FWIW.
I haven't a seating problem though, since I always connect it when it is in its "dock/cover", which makes it easy to hold, and I do push, since I found from day one that it is not easy, while all my other USC-C devices are much easier than the old USCs. Anyway, once it is on its stand I never disconnect/reconnect until I exit the room after all my work between the device and the PC is done. I just unplug/plug the PC's dock.

Also I stand it on its opposing long side when I have to long-press the button, whether in or out of its stand, which makes it convenient for my severely arthritic hands, and means the light is visible. And I find that button easier than the Forma's.

You concluding sentence is Greek to me. I tried to look up USBMS on internet, but it looks much too complex for me.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #608
anacreon
Guru

comfort light

All in all, I find I prefer the simple Comfort Light for the Elipsa
  • The screen is outstanding. I often read on it at night, and my reading lamp is a led, but I don't feel like there is blue light, like what hurt my eyes with my first Kobo, the Glo.
  • Since when I turn it on, the light is set at 30%, I'm never blinded
  • I'm often annoyed with the Comfort Light Pro on the Libra, which I feel is yellowish, even with the "natural light" at the lowest. I exchanged my first Libra after 15 months, because that yellowish had become definitely yellow, but it is still somewhat yellow on the second one - and I know that first thing in the morning I should put a finger on the dented wheel at the left, because the level remains as it was when I turned the Libra off the preceding night, even though the double circle is back at the leftmost position.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #609
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Forma, LibraH20, Mini, AuraH20, Oasis3, Voyage, Nova2
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
All in all, I find I prefer the simple Comfort Light for the Elipsa
  • The screen is outstanding. I often read on it at night, and my reading lamp is a led, but I don't feel like there is blue light, like what hurt my eyes with my first Kobo, the Glo.
  • Since when I turn it on, the light is set at 30%, I'm never blinded
I agree with your assessment. The display is outstanding, in both lighting and color temperature. Surprisingly, I too prefer the Comfort Light for the Elipsa which is a nice balance for all its functions.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:58 AM   #610
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Kudos to kOBO for showing that larger display eink can have good front lighting.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #611
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
May I suggest adding Elipsa to the list of available prefixes when creating a new thread?
Done. For future reference, you can get faster action by reporting your post.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:10 AM   #612
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy Tab S2 8.0
I've been using a magnetic USB-C cable and connector with my Elipsa for a couple of weeks now, and they work flawlessly.

Edit: Brand name NetDot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

Last edited by icallaci; 07-07-2021 at 10:13 AM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #613
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was worried that 10 inches would be too big and cumbersome but I feel like it's a great size. I complained about the weight of the cover in another thread and I don't doubt that it would be cumbersome even with it in the shell and the cover detached. The only thing that makes it less than perfect is the lack of buttons on the side.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:15 AM   #614
anacreon
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I was worried that 10 inches would be too big and cumbersome but I feel like it's a great size. I complained about the weight of the cover in another thread and I don't doubt that it would be cumbersome even with it in the shell and the cover detached. The only thing that makes it less than perfect is the lack of buttons on the side.
Same thing here. I thought that I would use the Elipsa only for books that can't comfortably be read on the Forma and the Libra, but I find that all books look better on the Elipsa, because of the size AND the quality of the screen which is way better that the Forma's and the Libra's, even in the dead of night with very low (LED) lighting.
And it is quite comfortable to hold sitting in my reading corner, with my feet on the ottoman and a cushion in my lap. I read with it on its dock too, the cover giving the right angle, while my PC is working through something that needs keeping an eye on.

But I do very much miss the buttons, mostly when paging within book lists or when reading in landscape mode, and from what I read in this forum a number of readers would buy an Elipsa with buttons who don't without.

Here is my wish-list for F/w improvements, the first two items the most pressing:
  • Being able to choose a two pages layout in landscape mode, not only for PDF poetry collections with translations on facing pages, but also for PDFs built for smaller readers. I think it could be pleasant with Kepubs too - it is what we've all been used too since starting reading after all. The buttons would be particularly useful in landscape mode.
  • Being able to increase margins on PDFs, for those who have been too severely cropped. And whether increasing or reducing margins, I think I wouldn't be alone in pleading for Kobo to maintain the position we chose when turning pages, so that we wouldn't have to pan every page.
  • Access to advanced parameters for side-loaded fonts. I use the patches available for my other readers, but many users prefer not to patch and it should be accessible to all for all devices.

EDIT: I initially wrote epubs, I meant kepubs. I don't like epubs, mostly but not only because many of the books I read have notes,
which epubs on Kobo don't handle decently.

Last edited by anacreon; 07-08-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #615
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Is possible read in two pages in landscape mode in kobo elipsa?

Formats epub or kepub

For me is very important this
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote