Notices

Old 08-15-2021, 06:51 PM   #1291
papaholmz
Just a Dude with a Kobo
papaholmz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE 32GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I'm a little surprised a moderator hasn't come around to warn that detailed help is not permitted on MobileRead and you should go to Harper's GitHub or Alf's blog, where you can post logs.
Apologies, I didn't know that level of detail wasn't allowed, next time I'll post over on Alf's blog.

Quote:
I'm not sure you'd necessarily get an error message if chmod failed, though the fact the program crashes on exit is a good sign. See above note about the .voucher file. If you see a .voucher file, you're getting KFX.
I verified the .voucher file is NOT present, so looks like the chmod command worked.

Quote:
If going back to Calibre 4.23 and Alf 6.8.1 doesn't work, and if a clean install of K4Mac doesn't work, please try Harper's GitHub or Alf's blog.
This did it, book now opens fine. I'd also like to note, I did a full uninstall of calibre using AppCleaner this time instead of just downloading and over-writing the old calibre .app file. I don't know if that helped or not, but it deleted a bunch of other stuff that could have been messing with settings.

Anyway, I'm all fixed up now, and I think I'm going to just stay with these versions of calibre and tools until they stop working in the future. I do my best to NOT buy Kindle books and instead buy them from other online stores (Rakuten Kobo, etc) , but every once in a while that's the only place I can find the book I'm looking for. And it seems like every time I buy one I have to go through this entire process over again because (like an idiot) I updated the various software to newer versions. Well, no more! I'm sticking with these versions since they work!

Thanks again for all the help.
papaholmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #1292
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Has anyone had any experience with "Great on Kindle" books?

There is a post on Alf's blog for this book: https://www.amazon.com/Four-Agreemen.../dp/B005BRS8Z6

It downloads to K4Mac as qa7sq_th.azw (an unusual filename!) and is identified as KF8, but doesn't work with Alf.

I have no experience with "Great on Kindle" books. Wondering if "Great on Kindle" books are a problem for Alf, or if the problem lies elsewhere.

(The same poster has another issue on Alf's blog that also poses an interesting puzzle, if anyone is intrigued by puzzles.)
Downloading a sample of that book for my Oasis gave a KF8 which worked with Alf.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2021, 09:58 PM   #1293
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Downloading a sample of that book for my Oasis gave a KF8 which worked with Alf.
I just downloaded a free "Great on Kindle" book, using the transfer with computer option. It downloaded as AZW3 and had no Alf issues either.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 10:55 PM   #1294
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I just downloaded a free "Great on Kindle" book, using the transfer with computer option. It downloaded as AZW3 and had no Alf issues either.
Did you try downloading to Kindle for PC/Mac? I'm not 100% certain, but "Great on Kindle" books appear to have special features when read on Kindle for iOS/Android rather than eink Kindles. Wondering if the file format or file content is different depending on device. Also, there was that weird filename the poster got: qa7sq_th.azw when downloading to Kindle for Mac.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:06 PM   #1295
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Did you try downloading to Kindle for PC/Mac?
Yeah, still AZW3. But then I only have an ancient version of Kindle for PC, 1.17. It's not even capable to download a KFX.

Last edited by Sirtel; 08-15-2021 at 11:08 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2021, 11:40 PM   #1296
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I download the sample for The Four Agreements using K4PC 1.32.0 with KFX blocked and that got a file that worked with calibre/DEDRM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:02 AM   #1297
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah, still AZW3. But then I only have an ancient version of Kindle for PC, 1.17. It's not even capable to download a KFX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I download the sample for The Four Agreements using K4PC 1.32.0 with KFX blocked and that got a file that worked with calibre/DEDRM.
Great! Thank you! Good to rule out "Great on Kindle" as the problem.
Old 08-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #1298
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Also, there was that weird filename the poster got: qa7sq_th.azw when downloading to Kindle for Mac.
Seems like the temp file name you see in calibre logs. Haven't seen anything like that directly from Amazon before.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:33 AM   #1299
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Seems like the temp file name you see in calibre logs. Haven't seen anything like that directly from Amazon before.
Aha! I see what's going on now. Thank you for enlightenment. Hopefully the OP will be able to get it working.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:17 AM   #1300
wakakaka
wakakaka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hey guys,
The discussion is (rightly so) mostly about the ability to block the new formats generation and get a Calibre-compatible format out of the Kindle app.
I successfully get azw files for magazines from Amazon. However, I noticed an intriguing detail today: a magazine I generated as azw weights 58.8 MB according to Calibre. On the Amazon page, they write: "File size : 344479 KB".

This is a huge size difference which most likely explains why I when I zoom to 200% it stars to get blurry. Is there a way to generate the highest quality possible when making the Kindle4Mac app download the file?

Thank you all for your extremely helpful advice.
wakakaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #1301
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakakaka View Post
I successfully get azw files for magazines from Amazon. However, I noticed an intriguing detail today: a magazine I generated as azw weights 58.8 MB according to Calibre. On the Amazon page, they write: "File size : 344479 KB".
I do not understand what you are comparing here. What do you mean by "a magazine I generated"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakakaka View Post
This is a huge size difference which most likely explains why I when I zoom to 200% it stars to get blurry. Is there a way to generate the highest quality possible when making the Kindle4Mac app download the file?
The size of a book downloaded from Amazon will often be less than the size as stated on their website. Amazon delivers different image size and quality based on the Kindle device or app that it is being used to read it. Here are some previous discussions of this topic:

How to download full resolution images?

Some questions regarding Oasis 2 & comics/manga

In any case the image quality will never be better than whatever the publisher provides to Amazon.

Last edited by jhowell; 08-23-2021 at 10:13 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:04 AM   #1302
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it's worth, the KFX blocking batch file for Windows (link in message # 1265) works with K4PC 1.33.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-13-2021 at 01:06 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:33 AM   #1303
LoveDicts
LoveDicts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
Hi everyone,

I cannot believe how complicated this is. First and last time I'm buying a book from Amazon

In the meantime, I really need to convert the one I got, but I'm afraid I am completely stuck. I've tried methods 1 and 4 so far:
Method 1: I installed Kindle 1.17, couldn't log in, deregistered the newer Kindle in my Amazon account, waited, tried again, it still didn't work... I reinstalled it, it still didn't work... Am I missing something?
Method 4: I installed the KFX Input plugin in my Calibre. I couldn't install the DeDRM plugin, however, as it requires at least Calibre 5.0, but the installer refuses to work because I am still using Windows 7...

Before trying to jump through more hoops, I thought I'd ask: do I have any hope of getting anywhere with method 2?

What would you recommend?

Thank you.
LoveDicts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:10 AM   #1304
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I suggest buying an eink kindle, new or S/H, new enough to support KF8/azw3. But select Download to PC and then THAT Kindle. You copy & paste the serial number in to Alf from your Amazon page as it's tricky to be sure of O vs 0 on the settings on the Kindle. You can re-download all previous purchases.
Don't enable the WiFi after registering (or even temporarily change your WiFi point password to register).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #1305
LoveDicts
LoveDicts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
Thank you, Quoth.
However, I'd rather avoid buying a whole new device just for this one book.
I think I'm gonna try to find and install version 1.24 in order to attempt method 2...
LoveDicts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc