Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-05-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
Boekenrups
Boekenrups began at the beginning.

Device: Denver
Question I'm about to buy an eReader

Which e-reader can I buy e-books most flexibly? For a purchase price of the ereader no more than 200€. Important to me is the use of multiple dictionaries in different languages. So this ereader must also have a search option by tapping on a word to different dictionaries.

I would like to know your good advice?

Thanks Sincerely Boekenrups
Boekenrups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:12 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
You can buy a Kobo Libra H2O from Kobo for 179,99€. Kobo does support multiple dictionaries and those can be different languages.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:22 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Honestly, any currently available ereader will do what you ask. The dedicated ereaders, such as Kobo's and Kindles, all can get books from their associated store, and all can have books sideloaded to them. You just need to be able to convert them to an appropriate format, which is easy. Whether DRM is an issue will depend on the store and the book.

For dictionaries, they all do lookups by selecting a word and either the lookup is done automatically, or you select a menu item (Kobo does it automatically, I think Kindles do as well, don't know about other devices). They should use the language set for the book. For Kobo devices, you can select another dictionary once you have looked up a word in a book. I assume the others do the same, but, I haven't used them. The real difference is going to be the number of available dictionaries.

Alternatively, you can use a tablet. They will support different ereader apps. They probably work in a similar way, but, I don't use them, so I am not sure.

I don't think differentiating on the dictionary or what can be put on the ereaders is useful. As I said, the answer is pretty much, "all of them". There are other things, such as screen type, size, storage, availability, button, price and whether you want to use it for other purposes, that are more important at this point.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:21 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Kobo Libra H2O. Two perfectly working Kindle PW3 have been replaced in use by the Kobo Libra in our family.
You can add dictionaries and by default has many languages.
Easily stores about 6,000 ebooks, 40 years of reading for many people.
Kobo is best for management with Calibre. Calibre plugins and conversions allow Amazon ebooks to be read on it.
Decent battery life.
Collections, Series etc can be managed by Calibre (Kindle terrible for Series and awkward for Collections).

I don't often use the front light, but it's fine and even on our two examples. We have never bought books from Kobo, but from Amazon and Smashwords with free content from the library here and many other public domain content sites. I also create "books" for it using calibre instead of paper printouts and also proofread & annotate books on it.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-06-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 06:51 AM   #5
Anna55
Anna55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle

Any ebook reader should be fine. I'm using a basic Kindle and I'd say it's perfect for my and your case. Using Callibre you can add things more easily and without Amazon's store.
Anna55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:55 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Basic Kindle is only 167 dpi. The Paperwhite and most other ereaders are 300 dpi. Even 220+ dpi is huge difference. Don't get a 800 x 600 or Kindle Basic or less than 220 dpi ereader.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
The Kindle Basic is obsolete before you even buy it. I highly suggest going fo a Kobo Libra H2O or a Kobo Forma. The Libra is a 7" screen and the Forma is an 8" plastic backed screen.

The firmware for Kobo is much better then that for Kindle. Also when not on sale, the Kobo is cheaper then the Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:37 PM   #8
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story HD, Amazon Kindle 5, and Amazon Kindle DX
It depends what you're reading.

For works in epub or mobi, any reader can work, although some books are licensed for specific readers. You can use Calibre to convert epub to mobi or vice-versa. You could use add-ons to transfer licensed books to different devices.

I find it easier to navigate a lot of titles, organize them into collections, and move them into special collections once read easier on the Kindle, but handling large books easier on the old Story Hd or on tablets.

For works only in pdf, then you have to be more careful. If you have really good eyesight, then a small screen with high resolution might work, but if you have poor eyesight, then a larger screen might be necessary. I have more of an astigmatism than my glasses can correct for, so while I can use a 7.8" screen by squinting or by roating everything and using multiple flips for each page, I have far easier time with a 10" screen.

Scanned books are usually in pdf, with much worse epub, mobi, and text versions. Articles are usually in pdf, though pubmed often has epub versions, and dot epub may be able to create epubs from web versions. Game rules, art books, atlases, and so on are also usually in pdf.

Newer pdfs are often incompatible with older readers. Unless you want to pre-process them for your reader, you may want an e-ink tablet instead.

Last edited by MarjaE; 09-16-2021 at 07:40 PM.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:59 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I find compatibility even with basic mobi (KF7) low on other than a Kindle. Compatibility is very low with kf8 mobi, usually has an azw3 ending. So I convert all mobi, azw, azw3 etc to epub which works on everything except Kindles.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:34 AM   #10
Al1981
Al1981 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Do most people on here, prefer eBooks? Not really a big reader, but prefer a physical book myself
Al1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:46 AM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Um... Clue in the name of the site and self selection.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:56 AM   #12
Al1981
Al1981 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Good point. But still always thought that people would prefer paperbacks, lol.
Al1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #13
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8'', Kobo Libra H2O
I've preferred ebooks to paper for the last 10 years, since I bought my first ereader. I no longer like to read on paper at all, except for books with lots of photos.

Many members here are like me, but there are still some who buy and read paper books too. And some who have read ebooks for a while and then returned to paper.

In short, people are different.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:32 AM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 7, Likebook 7, Tolino 7, Kobo 5, Kindle 3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1981 View Post
Good point. But still always thought that people would prefer paperbacks, lol.
Of course there are also those who don't mind dust, paper smell and weight.
I have hired a cleaner for my paper library twize a week, and I love to sit in an armchair and read on one of my readers.
And even on the go, I have around 15,000 books with me.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 09:32 AM   #15
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, 10th gen Kindle
But assuming people on an ereader forum prefer paperbacks is like assuming people on a Mac forum prefer Windows...
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote