Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
arooni
Addict
arooni began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (2018)
Best way to pull and sync highlights and notes across different koreader devices

Use case. I read on my Paperwhite, android tablet, upcoming boox tablet and android phone .

I use sync thing to keep my home directory in sync across devices

Syncing progress works great.

But wondering how to improve the highlight experience so that if I make a highlighted passage on one device to propagate to another. I believe this is solved with the use of sync thing correct because annotations are stored in the same folder as the ebook file ?

Next let's say I want to export the highlights to computer or WebApp to search thru them later. Is Evernote the only way to do this ? What about other options ? I read about Joplin an open sourced equivalent but I need to host that ? Any other options?

Thanks !!
arooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
Use case. I read on my Paperwhite, android tablet, upcoming boox tablet and android phone .

I use sync thing to keep my home directory in sync across devices

Syncing progress works great.

But wondering how to improve the highlight experience so that if I make a highlighted passage on one device to propagate to another. I believe this is solved with the use of sync thing correct because annotations are stored in the same folder as the ebook file ?

Next let's say I want to export the highlights to computer or WebApp to search thru them later. Is Evernote the only way to do this ? What about other options ? I read about Joplin an open sourced equivalent but I need to host that ? Any other options?

Thanks !!
The sync plugin only syncs the reading position. If you highlight different passages or the same book in different devices each device will hold highlights and annotations of the things done in that device.

I guess you can export highlights device by device to html/json files and then join them together on your computer.

Also: 3rd party apps that sync documents between devices won't handle metadata correctly as the path of metadata is device dependant.

Evernote was deprecated, Joplin still works but the setup is a bit harder and you'll need to effectively run the app on your computer at the moment you try to export your notes.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
arooni
Addict

Didn't know Evernote was deprecated. Sounds like I should look into Joplin
Old 09-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is another solution. Only read these eBooks on one device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:26 PM   #5
arooni
Addict

But the issue of how to get the highlights and notes is still am issue. I have a feeling I'll use the box as my primary device going forward
Old 09-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #6
everdred
everdred began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Remarkable 2, Android, Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by arooni View Post
But wondering how to improve the highlight experience so that if I make a highlighted passage on one device to propagate to another.
There's a utility that helps with this, but it's still a manual process.
everdred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:37 AM   #7
nuovodna
nuovodna began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi, i'm sorry to bother you with this topic. I'm trying to give up with Kindle but i miss the ability offered by Amazon cloud services to sync progress/highlights/notes across different devices on personal documents (the only requirement is Kindle app installation).

I think koreader could be a great solution but i have no final solution after surfing the web for a solution.
A summary
Scenario: koreader installed on ebook device (e.g. Kobo), Android tablet, Android phone
Target: sync progress, notes, highlights across multiple devices
Solution: koreader-sync-server? calibre server?

Any progress?
nuovodna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:09 PM   #8
omin
omin began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Poke 3, prev Kindle Paperwhite 4
The only solution I came across is through Google Play Books. You can upload your own epub and it syncs (books, progress, notes, highlights) across Android, iOS, and Web app (pc). I moved from Kindle to Boox (Android ebook) for this.
omin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:22 AM   #9
nuovodna

ok, thanks for your feedback. But i'd like to use an opensource solution
Old 02-02-2023, 09:24 AM   #10
vurt
Enthusiast
vurt began at the beginning.

Device: KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by omin View Post
The only solution I came across is through Google Play Books. You can upload your own epub and it syncs (books, progress, notes, highlights) across Android, iOS, and Web app (pc). I moved from Kindle to Boox (Android ebook) for this.
Too bad it can't run on the Kindle. I think I need a Boox or similar next.

The issue for me is, Google Play Books doesn't have an easy sync function with Readwise, requires a fairly clunky manual export, might just have to compromise.
vurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:09 AM   #11
poltavcev
poltavcev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I set up two-way sync between my kindle and android via rclon and all notes sync perfectly
poltavcev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:30 AM   #12
vurt
Enthusiast
vurt began at the beginning.

Device: KV
Do you have a link to how to do it?
vurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:38 PM   #13
kobol2
kobol2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I'm using KOReader which creates metadata folders right beside where the ebook resides and I realized that there are different expectations of the word "sync".

For me, "sync" means:

1. all data (books, notes, highlights etc, why deal with each one separately?)
2. all operations (create, read, update, delete)

So far, syncthing does this nicely for me, at least for books and reading progress.

Since syncthing has no context on the type of files it is dealing with, I assume it also "sync" my notes and highlights.
kobol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 07:26 PM   #14
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
How does Syncthing handle situations where I add a note on both devices? Does it merge them, or choose one and lose the other?
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:32 PM   #15
nuovodna

Quote:
Originally Posted by poltavcev View Post
I set up two-way sync between my kindle and android via rclon and all notes sync perfectly
how can i set an rclone script? I have ebook library (Calibre) on a Nextcloud installation, i'd like to sync the folder on my ebook reader (Kobo) with two-ways mode (e.g. upload sdr file created by koreader). How can i run rclone command inside koreader? Thanks!