Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2021, 03:02 AM   #1
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kindle Gen 2 Black Screen

Hello all,

I have had my very faithful Kindle Gen2 since 2009 and it has been great.

Two weeks ago I plugged it into Calibre to sideload a novel, and when I unplugged it, I ended up with a half black screen which I have not been able to fix. (see image)

I've read to plug it back in and sideload another book and that may fix it. No luck. I then tried the hard reboot (about 20 times) and no luck with that either. I then thought to try and install the latest firmware over the top, but I can't access the menu. I've tried a few blind tries to get the right menu option to update, but no luck

Would anybody know of any other tricks to fix this or is my Kindle pretty much dead?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	189274  
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It might be that the display cable connector has worked loose and needs to be reseated.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi j.p.s

Thanks for the reply. Does that require removing the back case and fiddling? Do you have a post you can point me to that shows how to do that?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Yes, it requires removing the back and fiddling with the connector, but, no, I do not know how to do it and I can not find a post showing how.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Looks to be as simple as making chocolate chip cookies. (I have no need for a pie this early in the morning.) To verify what Karellen said, then check here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrcxn5mQKe4

Look at around 3:00 for the display cable. (Better find something to hold all those screws while it's being disassembled.)

My two units are in storage, so I can't confirm the reliability of this, but it looks as if it's disassembly is the same as my now decrepit (re: 13 year-old) Kindle DX-G, which was simple as hell to take apart.

Probably time for you to buy a state-of-the-art ebook reader. They're now so good it will mess with your mind...

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-17-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:14 PM   #6
Karellen
Wizard

Thanks @Dr. Drib that is a great youtube link. And yes, time to upgrade. When I looked a few weeks ago for new Kindles, Amazon was out of stock of every kindle model and looks like they are still out of stock as I checked again just now. Only some reconditioned models are available.

Though with a single connector it might be less likely it is a connector problem, or else the entire screen should be black? Anyway no harm in trying.

I won't try immediately though as I'll wait until I get my new Kindle. Even though the screen is unusable, I can still purchase books and deliver them to the Kindle which I can sync into Calibre. I am not aware if that is possible off an iPad or off a pc.

"State of the art"- Kindle or other? I suppose I'll stick with a Kindle though as that is where I have purchased my ebooks for the last decade. (yep, keeping myself locked into the amazon environment)

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:34 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You're welcome.

By "state-of-the-art", I meant a newer Kindle.

I own both Kindles and Kobos, but probably lean more toward Kindle. But readers from both companies are perfectly fine.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-18-2021 at 02:59 PM. Reason: end-of-sentence redundancy deleted
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote