Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #871
IVressE
IVressE began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Thumbs up

Hi,

First off, thanks for all the hard work on this thread and hack. I've now installed on 20+ devices for friends and family and myself, and it was always a breeze to follow the instructions.

However, I have a bit of a remark after installing the jailbreak+ screensaver hack on the PW2. While installign the JB almost felt like cheating (What? Not even needing to put device in maintenance mode? Just copy-paste a file and done?), I did not manage to make your package work before a couple different tries. It is only when I saw what features you were speaking of (random, overflow etc) that I thought that Python would have been great to do that, and asked myself why you used Python only for the Covers part.

That's when it hit me to try and install the python package before trying to install the hack, which made it work like a charm.

Now this might just be me being a bit of an idiot, but right now it kinda looks like from the formatting and from some phrases in the text, that the python package is optional and only useful when using the Cover function, so maybe you'll want to clarify it a bit (then again, it really might just be me).

Anyway, keep up the great work, and cya!
IVressE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #872
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@IVressE: It actually is only used for the cover function (and even then, only part of it). And while installing Python first is recommended if you do intend to use the cover feature, it's not the end of the world if you don't .

So, yep, you got the right idea from the first post .

The extra dependency, and the fact that most of the code was written before Python was built for the Kindle explains why it's mostly written in shell, and not Python .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #873
cordage
cordage began at the beginning.

Device: kinle paperwhite
I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2, forst 4 is 90D4

THe jailbreak seems to work, I get the text at the bottom, and the links installs, however I cannot get custom screensavers. I do not wish to have cover or last, just random images so I skipped the python install. In fact, the python install failed each time I attempted (6 Dec 2013). Am I doing something wrong?
cordage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #874
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@cordage: The Pyton install shouldn't fail, but since I updated Python, I'll check.

Anyway, that's irrelevant if you don't want/need the cover feature anyway.

What doesn't work, exactly? (Assuming this isn't a Special Offers device).

Check the FAQ.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #875
cordage

Everything. The default screens come up. I have a screensavers folder with grayscale png images 758x1024, a file named shuffle

When timeout or short button press, the custom screens do not show up.

Not a SO device
I get no welcome message
Old 12-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #876
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
How come linkss is better at extracting cover image than the PW2 software? I get actual cover in linkss cover mode where in the kindle's library cover view I often get the ugly generic cover.

Anyway, NiLuJe rules!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #877
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@cordage: Then let's do it again, step by step.

* Uninstall
* Delete the linkss folder
* Install
* *STOP*

Don't do anything else, don't try to put your own stuff, don't try to play with the settings. Just check what happens when the device goes to sleep.

@Barty: The thumbnails (for official content) are downloaded from Amazon's servers, and I have no idea how much care they take in making those decent, but I do know that they might not even match the cover the book happened to use at the time you bought it. For content sideloaded with Calibre, Calibre builds those from the cover in its db, so provided you have a decent one, those usually look good, unless you murdered Calibre's settings.
The hack uses the actual cover embedded in the file (the one you see w/ Go To > Cover, only with better scaling & dithering ;P).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-09-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:11 PM   #878
cordage

@NiLuJe

I uninstalled, restarted, delted the linksys folder, restarted, for good measure [jailbreak][https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?t=186645] again, restart, install linksys, restart, stop

now I get the screen saying the screensavers have been successfully installed.

I used the default image in the screensavers folder (the welcome screen) to redo my custom images. Now it works.

Thank you
Old 12-13-2013, 02:55 AM   #879
pgfiore
Enthusiast
pgfiore began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I feel I read this hack survives to the new 5.3.9 firmware... Is there anybody who could kindly confirm?
pgfiore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #880
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@pgfiore: No, nothing survives a 5.3.x or 5.4.x update (besides the device jailbreak, provided all is in order).
Old 12-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #881
HxS
HxS began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Okay so even though the devices support a jailbreak, we still have to wait for this individual hack to be updated to support the new jailbreak? Sorry for my inexperience; I'm new to this.
HxS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #882
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@HxS: What?

Check the first post again. (I'm curious as to what got you confused, though).
Old 12-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #883
HxS

I'm assuming this won't work on a Kindle PW on 5.3.9 just yet, correct? If it is supposed to, I can't get it to work.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #884
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@HxS: Er, yes, it does .

I'm gonna need as much details as possible though, because right now I can't really tell what you've done/tried .
Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #885
HxS

Oh okay that's good to hear! I downloaded it and after just restarting my kindle, I got the screensaver that says it was a success to show up. Now I am trying to make it so the cover of my last read book appears as my screensaver. I placed a blank .txt file named "cover" in the linkss folder located at the root of the Kindle, but I am not having success with the cover actually showing up when the kindle is locked. Instead I continue to see the success screen for the ScreenSavers hack. Perhaps I'm making an obvious mistake, but I am not having much luck getting it to work.

Last edited by HxS; 12-20-2013 at 05:41 PM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch