Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The T series battery is not user replaceable. However, I used my PRS-T1 for approximately 5 years before giving up on it and the battery was certainly still usable at that point. (I quit using it due to frequent dictionary freeze and the fact it was no longer able to directly download Overdrive books.)
UPDATE: As of a couple days ago I have no longer been able to get Overdrive library books directly on my PRS-T3. (It is still possible to get library books on a PC and sync them to the T3.) I guess Overdrive has made some kind of change. Thought I should update this thread in case anybody was thinking of getting a used T3.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #17
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobi is not "super outdated" and easily purchased here. And comparing the US and UK prices with the local prices, they are in the same ballpark.
Kobo Forma has page turn buttons.

In Australia, maybe look at Chinese stuff. I myself am contemplating a Likebook Mimas (super expensive).
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2019, 05:19 AM   #18
DarkWorld
DarkWorld began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O (1st gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post

In Australia, maybe look at Chinese stuff. I myself am contemplating a Likebook Mimas (super expensive).
I've looked at Chinese stuff (including within chinese websites like TaoBao) and JD, but they're more expensive than new Kindles and stuff.
DarkWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #19
DarkWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Quite a bit of advice about unlocking demo mode ranging from soldering and using a serial terminal to entering ;demo in the search bar.

Yeah I've looked at it, but I don't have a SD reader to write firmware to...
Old 06-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #20
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWorld View Post
I've looked at Chinese stuff (including within chinese websites like TaoBao) and JD, but they're more expensive than new Kindles and stuff.
When choosing an eink device, cheaping out is not really an option. Particularly when you live in a country where options are limited.

The two main options are:
- Buy a cheap Kindle and either be committed to buying ebooks from Kindle in Kindle-only format (which makes it extremely expensive very soon!) or, if you already have an existing library of ebooks, convert all the files to something your Kindle can display (good for organisation, but very time-consuming)
- Buy any other device and be free to buy ebooks from the cheapest site you find and load your existing ebooks on the device without a need to convert the files
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #21
DarkWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
- Buy a cheap Kindle and either be committed to buying ebooks from Kindle in Kindle-only format (which makes it extremely expensive very soon!) or, if you already have an existing library of ebooks, convert all the files to something your Kindle can display (good for organisation, but very time-consuming)
Pretty sure I can use calibre to load it can't I?

Unfortunately being a student my funds are severely limited.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #22
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWorld View Post
Pretty sure I can use calibre to load it can't I?

Unfortunately being a student my funds are severely limited.
Exactly. Don't be scared away by the thought of converting. If you have Calibre, the conversion happens automatically when you transfer the book to the device, and, depending on the size of the books, usually takes seconds.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote