Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-18-2021, 05:22 AM   #1
MurkyMurlock
MurkyMurlock began at the beginning.

Device: Basic Kindle
Reader for comics?

Hi there!

I have been using a very basic Amazon Kindle for reading books and it suffices. I don't need any special. But recently I got into reading graphical novels, manga especially and I know there is a ton of them online, together with fanfics, etc. That made me wonder, is there a reader setup for comfortable reading comics? I would be interested in that but I am not sure how to look and where to look for it.
MurkyMurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I love my eink reader, but for comics, I either read on my Surface or my Samsung 12.2" tablet.

Manga being black and white is a different story. The Kobo Libra would likely make a nice manga reader, though storage is limited compared to a tablet and I'm not sure about reading stuff online.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
rowe
Zealot
rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rowe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hisense Hi Reader Pro, Boox Mira, Dasung Paperlike Colour
An Onyx Boox Nova 2/3 is probably ideal for manga. Similar size to source and runs the best manga software e.g. Tachiyomi.

For graphic novels, 13" B&W devices like the Boox Max have been the best e-ink could offer. But 10" colour e-ink devices have just started appearing in China, so something better could be on the way fairly soon.
rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:52 PM   #4
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I use a reasonably priced 10" Lenovo tablet for reading comics. Works great. (Tab M10 FHD 2nd Edition.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:21 AM   #5
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
I'd also suggest getting an 8 or 10 inch tablet. Depending on your use cases, either get a cheap one like Amazon fire tablet or something more powerful lik a Samsung galaxy tab / iPad.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2021, 09:55 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I use a reasonably priced 10" Lenovo tablet for reading comics. Works great. (Tab M10 FHD 2nd Edition.)
Yes, for colour anyway, my Lenovo 10" Tab (about €120) is best. Though comics do work on the 7.8" Likebook Mars. Configurable contrast. The Kobo Libra (7") is a shade too small and more awkward.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
Lenovo seems to make the best cheap Android tablets. I've had a Lenovo Tab2 A10-70 for four or five years that is still as good as new. If it gave up the ghost suddenly, I'd likely replace it with the Tab M10.

For reading comics, I use my Surface, which has a 12" screen. The screen is about the same size or slightly larger than a standard US comic page. And its 3:2 screen ratio seems to fit a comic page better than an iPad's 4:3 or Android 10:16 (though Android seems to have the best comic readers for CBZ/CBR files, in my opinion).

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-30-2021 at 11:06 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:23 AM   #8
cm1
Enthusiast
cm1 doesn't littercm1 doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurkyMurlock View Post
Hi there!

I have been using a very basic Amazon Kindle for reading books and it suffices. I don't need any special. But recently I got into reading graphical novels, manga especially and I know there is a ton of them online, together with fanfics, etc. That made me wonder, is there a reader setup for comfortable reading comics? I would be interested in that but I am not sure how to look and where to look for it.
The Pocketbook Color might interest you
cm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #9
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm1 View Post
The Pocketbook Color might interest you
I've tried it and it's too small for comics.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
I've tried it and it's too small for comics.
Maybe the new (not yet released) 7.8" version will work better.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:37 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Maybe the new (not yet released) 7.8" version will work better.
7.8" screen at low res with a 100DPI screen. Not worth the price. Get an iPad instead.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I read comics on an onyx nova 7.8". It's okay for most comics as long as they dont have a super weird panel layout. The 10" Note would be even better. Onyx Neoreader software is good for comics because it allows you split the page up into panes.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
7.8" screen at low res with a 100DPI screen. Not worth the price. Get an iPad instead.
I don't need color eInk or a tablet (I think it's been about 4 or 5 months since I charged my Kindle Fire). But one big reason to prefer the 7.8" color PocketBook to (I assume) the 10.2" iPad, is weight. PocketBook 225 grams vs iPad 495 grams. There's also the superiority of the eInk battery life to consider.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 05:32 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't need color eInk or a tablet (I think it's been about 4 or 5 months since I charged my Kindle Fire). But one big reason to prefer the 7.8" color PocketBook to (I assume) the 10.2" iPad, is weight. PocketBook 225 grams vs iPad 495 grams. There's also the superiority of the eInk battery life to consider.
You could get an iPad Mini 5 at 300.5g.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:00 AM   #15
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I have the Nova 3 and recently installed Tachiyomi, which seems to be the generally recommended app for manga. The screen is a tad too small to make it an enjoyable experience. A 10" reader would probably be better for reading manga. That would still be too small for graphic novels and western comics, but you'd probably want colour for them anyway.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote