Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-01-2021, 09:28 PM   #1
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I Just Want To Read

Hello everyone. I am interested in an Eink ereader. I have my iPad and iPhone and they do what they do. I want to just read without distractions. I am nit sure what I am looking for nor which ebook formats I need to support. It would be nice to not be locked in to an ecosystem or format, but I am open to ideas. My wife has a Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Unlimited. I would prefer a larger screen so I can enlarge the font. I am near sighted and need larger font. I want a lighted display in Eink. Yes I can read from the iPad but it can be fatiguing. Where should I start? Feel free to ask questions to help me find the right item.

Update: I have purchased the Kindle Oasis.

Last edited by s1mp13m4n; 01-02-2021 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Update
s1mp13m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You might want to look at the Kindle Oasis (7" display) if you wish to remain in the Amazon ecosystem. Alternately, you can look at the Kobo Libra H2O (7") or the Kobo Forma (8"). All three have physical page turn buttons and very similar shapes. I have the Forma as my main reading device.

My personal preference are Kobo devices since they have a much more open system with better control over margins, line spacing, etc. The Kobo devices also allow you to borrow from libraries using Overdrive from the ereader. In this aspect, the Kindle devices are more limited in the number of libraries that support them and, though it doesn't matter to you, Kindle library support is only found in the USA.

There are other options such as Pocketbook, Boox, Boyue, etc. but they are less common and not as well supported in North America.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2021, 09:43 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Paperwhite has a 6" screen. If that is to small, you can get an Oasis with a 7" screen. That will allow you to stay in the same environment as your wife.

Otherwise, Kobo have the Libra H2O which is 7", and pretty much a direct competitor for the Oasis, though less expensive. They also have the Forma which has an 8" screen, but it is also fairly expensive. These are excellent devices.

Tolino is another brand, but, not easily available in the USA. They share hardware with Kobo, but, use different software.

There are other brands, but, my knowledge of them is minimal. I'm sure someone will be along in a few minutes with details.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 10:04 PM   #4
s1mp13m4n
Zealot
s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.s1mp13m4n is no ebook tyro.

Thank you for the help. I like the idea of being able to use the public library and OverDrive. As of right now it looks like the Forma or Oasis are the heavy hitters in the US.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:10 PM   #5
s1mp13m4n
Zealot

Some Things I Forgot

I have and use a very basic computer. I have a Raspberry Pi400. I assume both Kindle and Kobo devices would work with Linux. It seems that the top offerings from Kindle and Kobo are similar and it is a matter of which is best for my use.
Advert
Old 01-01-2021, 11:30 PM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
Thank you for the help. I like the idea of being able to use the public library and OverDrive. As of right now it looks like the Forma or Oasis are the heavy hitters in the US.
If you're considering the Oasis, then do think about the Libra. Many say that price is not a factor for them (I wish I was that fortunate!) but since the Libra is the direct competitor for the Oasis in terms of size and specs, its being significantly cheaper merits a look, I'd say. It's a fantastic device in my unashamedly biased and unobjective opinion
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:43 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I think you'll be okay connecting a kindle or kobo to a pi. The pi can run calibre, which is the de facto program to organise ebooks and transfer them to the ereader.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=243540
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:53 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Be aware, the kindle is Alot more locked down than a kobo. If you are happy to use your ereader the way amazon imposes, then you'll be okay with it. If you want more flexibility, then go kobo.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:51 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
If you're considering the Oasis, then do think about the Libra. Many say that price is not a factor for them (I wish I was that fortunate!) but since the Libra is the direct competitor for the Oasis in terms of size and specs, its being significantly cheaper merits a look, I'd say. It's a fantastic device in my unashamedly biased and unobjective opinion
I'll second this opinion . For me the Oasis and the Libra are practically interchangeable, which says a lot, considering the price difference.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:15 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just remember that Overdrive library books might be a challenge with Linux. Downloading from your library will require ADE and I'm sure there is not a version for Linux, a my d even if there was Pi support for it would be a larger challenge.

In some countries newer Kobo models do have built in Overdrive support which is implemented as fufilling the loan via the Kobo book store over WiFi. All Kobo's do support transferring library books using ADE via USB to the Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:29 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
All Kobo's do support transferring library books using ADE via USB to the Kobo.
But not directly over the Internet.
For this you need Tolino or Pocketbook or Android EInk Tablets.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-02-2021 at 01:57 AM.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:45 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
Hello everyone. I am interested in an Eink ereader. I have my iPad and iPhone and they do what they do. I want to just read without distractions. I am nit sure what I am looking for nor which ebook formats I need to support. It would be nice to not be locked in to an ecosystem or format, but I am open to ideas. My wife has a Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Unlimited. I would prefer a larger screen so I can enlarge the font. I am near sighted and need larger font. I want a lighted display in Eink. Yes I can read from the iPad but it can be fatiguing. Where should I start? Feel free to ask questions to help me find the right item.
Forget all Kindles, Kobos, etc. recommendations.
All of these "brands" want to bind buyers to their bookshops through the built-in software.
With an Android EInk tablet (Boox, Likebook) you are independent of all book distributors.
With the Kindle app you can read and also borrow or buy Amazon books, with Libby or the Overdrive you get overdrive books, with the Pocketbook app Adobe DRM books are no problem.
Android EInk Tablets are available in sizes 6, 7.8, 10.3 and 13.3 inches, not 7 inches.
I did learn the hard way by falling for such stupid suggestions (Kindle, Kobo, Tolino) and now only use Android devices from Boyue-Likebook and Onyx-Boox, which I have configured according to my requirements.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-02-2021 at 02:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:19 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Forget all Kindles, Kobos, etc. recommendations.
All of these "brands" want to bind buyers to their bookshops through the built-in software.
Yes they do. And what is the problem with that? They both allow sideloading books. They both allow library books (at least if you are in the right county). The books have to come from somewhere, so why not make it easy to buy if the store has what you want.

And if you read the OP's post, he seems to be fine with this as his wife is using a Kindle and Kindle Unlimited. Which is why several of us have responded in the ways we have - a little more emphasis on Kindles than maybe we want.
Quote:
With an Android EInk tablet (Boox, Likebook) you are independent of all book distributors.
With the Kindle app you can read and also borrow or buy Amazon books, with Libby or the Overdrive you get overdrive books, with the Pocketbook app Adobe DRM books are no problem.
Android EInk Tablets are available in sizes 6, 7.8, 10.3 and 13.3 inches, not 7 inches.
I did learn the hard way by falling for such stupid suggestions (Kindle, Kobo, Tolino) and now only use Android devices from Boyue-Likebook and Onyx-Boox, which I have configured according to my requirements.
The OP is after specific suggestions. Please make them rather than just insulting everyone else's opinion. Opinions which are at least as valid as yours.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:54 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that the OP is nearsighted and needs a larger font, I would suggest the Kobo Forma with an 8" screen. Using Calibre and the DeDRM plugin, his wife's Kindle eBooks can be converted to ePub.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-02-2021 at 05:56 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:40 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And, I'm still waiting for you to suggest an actual device. Not a "use an e-ink tablet", but the make and model of one the OP can look at.
Devices that can:
6 inches: Boox Poke 2/3
7.8 inches: Boox Nova 2/3, Likebook Mars, Ares
10.3 inches: Boox Note 2/3/Air, Likebook Alita