Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Bugs of the Hisense A5

Hello,

I'm using the Hisense A5 for nearly a year. I'm completely sold to the eink phone concept but the device is completely buggy.

1) For several weeks, autofocus on the camera has been broken. It was already the case a few months ago and solved itself. This times, it did not. It means that I'm not even able to scan a QR code.

2) The phone unlock itself randomly. It has done it less frequently since I disabled the "face unlock" but still does it. I've witnessed the phone unlocking for no reason on my desk, without even touching it.

3) Once unlocked in my pocket, it does a lot of strange things. For days, I*now have a white circle on my screen that I*can move but not disable. Other things it does : reordering apps, changing settings like switching to no disturb mode.

4) It regularly disable the light. Which is very impractical when I'm in the dark and need the phone.

5) It doesn't ring for approximately 1 call every 3 or 4. Once again, I've witnessed it on my desk :*the phone didn't ring but the symbol "missed call" immediately appeared.

Do we agree that this is just the "cheap chinese crap" syndrom. Would I*have any more change with a A5*pro or another model?
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Sorry to hear about the issues which you're having with your A5. As I'm not experiencing those issues, I'm wondering what version of the A5 are you using?

Did you get the unofficial so called "international" version with Google Play Store somewhat enabled? I seem to recall reading others having some issues with that.

If not, have you updated to the latest firmware version? I'm currently on version L1657.6.11.01.00. It last updated in September.

From what I understand, the unofficial "international" version does not receive updates to the firmware.

I mainly just use my A5 as an ereader and an emergency phone. Occasionally I use the camera. So far, it mostly seems to work fine for my needs.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:33 AM   #3
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I don't have an international version, I*don't have Google Play Store (I*sometimes wish I*had but that's another topic ;-) ) and I'm on the same OS version than you.

I*think that it's because I*really use it as a daily phone all the time, every day. I'm maybe pushing it more to its limits than someone using it as an ereader.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:40 AM   #4
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
What you could do is a full system android backup* followed by a factory reset and the updates. Than test whether the problems are resolved. If not restore the backup. Otherwise install your apps piecemeal to see which is causing the problems.

As autofocus is mostly software, you at least know that it worked with that system before, so if the problem persists, you might have to look into physical problems. E.g. scratched lens, condense on lens preventing autofocus.

Of course, you could just say that it is Chinese crap: It justifies you to bin the phone and buy a new one. Consumer power! That is also an approach. To me my Hisense A5 pro cc doesn't seem like crap, not Chinese nor otherwise. However, I've only had it a month, so I don't have any experience with its durability.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
ploum
Zealot

Mine is note the pro (it's the A5 first gen). And I must add that problems started to appear gradually after a few months so it "looks" like hardware is crap and software buggy.

But you are right:*I*should first reset it completely to be sure.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:33 AM   #6
ploum
Zealot

I encountered a random tip on the web about autofocus bugs on cheap smartphone. The fix ? Tap the camera with your finger.

And you know what ? It works with my A5.

Problem is that it works only once : each time I want to take a picture, I need to tap the lens.

This seems to confirm the "cheap crappy hardware" hypothesis.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:08 PM   #7
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Where did you purchase your A5 from ?
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:36 AM   #8
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
Hello,

I'm using the Hisense A5 for nearly a year. I'm completely sold to the eink phone concept but the device is completely buggy.

1) For several weeks, autofocus on the camera has been broken. It was already the case a few months ago and solved itself. This times, it did not. It means that I'm not even able to scan a QR code.
i found "a better camera" app to be way better focusing than the default app camera on my k1
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:08 PM   #9
StuartJ
StuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas, Kobo Aura One, LG V20
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
3) Once unlocked in my pocket, it does a lot of strange things. For days, I*now have a white circle on my screen that I*can move but not disable. [...]
I don't know if the OP still has this problem (or has now given up on the A5!) but in case anyone else hits this issue, I saw it too recently, and found the fix (at least on version L1657.6.10.04.00): Settings > Intelligent Assistance > Floating Navigation > toggle off.

So far I've been happy enough with the A5 as a pocket e-reader that is occasionally useful as a phone, or for email, or a browser, alarm timer etc. It will do until there a really good e-ink phone comes along!
StuartJ is offline   Reply With Quote