Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 06:58 AM   #106
Matthew Standley
Matthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l / Kindle Paperwhite (using Japanese/English)
Thank you for making Calibre available.

Kindle 2 Int'l (UK Amazon account) / Kindle-PW (Japan Amazon account)

Calibre 0.9.8 OSX.

First
I tried to use Calibre 0.7.28 (another person's computer) to put these files on my Kindle PW:
1. mobi files from my PC.
2. azw (I assume) purchased book files from my Kindle 2 Int'l, via "save to disk".
I had the same problems as mentioned above, then I found this forum and read the above posts.
I reset the Kindle-PW.

Second
Reregistered Kindle-PW.
Downloaded 4 dictionaries.
Kindle-PW now contains 4 dictionaries / User's guide, Set-up guide / Welcome book.
Using Calibre 0.9.8 OSX / Kindle-PW setting: do not use sub folders.

Sent purchased ".azw" book file (Amazon UK on Kindle 2 Int'l) to Kindle-PW.
Result: "This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user"
NOT a DRM hack request.
Pointing this out for other disappointed users. Old purchased books are no good on a new device with a new Amazon account. Anyone know if Amazon would help with this?

Sent ".epub" to Kindle-PW.
Result: Book appears in "all items" and "books", list and cover views, book opens.

Sent ".mobi" to Kindle-PW
Result: Book appears in "all items" and "Docs" (Personal), list and cover views, book opens.

Sent ".azw3" to Kindle-PW
Result: Book appears in "all items" and "books", list and cover views, book opens.

** Sent 5 ".mobi" files at once to Kindlle-PW.
** Result: Failure
"My Items" = 0 in both cover and list views.
"Books" = 0 in cover and list views.
"Docs" = 4 in cover and list views. However, there are 6x ".mobi" files / 1x azw3 / 1x pub in total actually on the device, plus the downloads from Amazon.

4 out of 6 mobi files, and zero other files now show on the kindle screen.
All above mentioned files still show on the Calibre screen.

Removing all mobi files restores normal functionality to the Kindle - the .azw3 / .epub / Amazon downloads are now visible on the Kindle screen again.

As I experiment more with this, I will continue to update this post or add others if updating is not possible / follow advice from other users or Kovid Goyal.
Matthew Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #107
Matthew Standley
Matthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toysMatthew Standley shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l / Kindle Paperwhite (using Japanese/English)
Addition to post #105

It seems that if only one book is added at a time, the chance of causing a (disappearing books) problem is reduced. However, it also seems that certain books cause the problem, too. I can not identify why.

Example:

(Add 1 book)
Add 1 book, it appears as "on device", eject device and check, Kindle screen shows 1 book more than before. OK
(Add 2 books)
Add 1 book, it appears as "on device", repeat, eject device and check, Kindle screen shows 2 books more than before. OK
(Add 3 books)
** Add 1 book, it appears as "on device", repeat, repeat, eject device and check, Kindle screen shows "My Items = zero".

Deleting those final 3, one at a time, did not fix the problem, until I deleted the final one of the offending 3.

Then noting what the 3rd book was, I added that alone. Problem occurred again. So, skipping this book, I added the other 2, as above. Those 2 books appeared on the Kindle screen.

For the time being, I will do this: Add 1 book, eject device, check Kindle screen, if good, next book, and if bad, remove that book and leave it on the PC.

Sorry if I have missed a point that someone has made that explains or fixes this.
I wish I could explain it more clearly in fewer words.

Still impressed with what Calibre can do for me.
Matthew Standley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #108
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your kindle is probably choking on that one file. Do a mobi to mobi convert in calibre before sending it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 AM   #109
ext233
Enthusiast
ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ext233 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Your kindle is probably choking on that one file. Do a mobi to mobi convert in calibre before sending it.
I seem to have this problem of certain books crashing the entire library. What could be causing that?

Also, I notice you suggest 'mobi to mobi' conversion quite a lot...what is the best way to do this in bulk, overwriting the old files? I don't want to have one mobi that works, and one that doesn't, and no way to tell them apart.
ext233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #110
lowfive
lowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire
This appears to be the main Paperwhite/Calibre discussion thread (please correct me if I'm wrong) so I'd like to ask a quick question.

My wife just got a Paperwhite and I would like to help her transfer all of her books to it. I believe most are .mobi format. Am I to understand that the newest version of Calibre incorporates the most up-to-date solutions for the Paperwhite? In other words, should I expect all books to behave nicely when moved onto the Calibre or and I still going to have to worry about troubleshooting stuff like converting mobi to mobi, modifying metadata, changing Calibre settings, etc etc etc?

Basically just trying to figure out how long this is going to take me before I commit to doing it.

Thanks!
lowfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #111
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The necessity for doing mobi to mobi conversion comes from the brokenness of Amazon's firmware, or the brokenness of older mobi files that dont allow metadata to be updated, neither of which has anything to do with calibre.

If all your mobi files work on an older kindle, they are likely to continue to work on a newer kindle. And if not doing a bulk mobi to mobi conversion is just a couple of clicks in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #112
Sapa888
Sapa888 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
I'm having a problem with my PW where it isn't remembering my last page after going back to the home page, it just starts the book back at the beginning. I've tried this with several books, removing them and trying again and also restting the device. Has anyone experienced this?
Sapa888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:13 AM   #113
lizardlix
lizardlix began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Fixed!

Boom! Fixed my problem. I added some books this morning and then everything disappeared except a few in my "docs" section. I couldn't figure out what was going on and since it was a new paperwhite that I'd not used in a couple of weeks and even then only a couple of times, I was thinking it was all kinds of problems.

I deleted all the new books and baam! the rest were back. Then I did the mobi to mobi conversion and everything looks good. thanks! I never would have figured that out.
lizardlix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #114
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Now my brain is mush. I do not care if the cover shows. I just want all the books I send to the paperwhite to show. So do I convert all my mobis to mobis ? or to azw3? and do I need to select share in this process? I do not sync my books to another device or the cloud.
This is very frustrating and I have now had to reset my paperwhite 3 times.
Thank you for any help

applesauce

Last edited by applesauce; 05-19-2013 at 10:44 PM.
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #115
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
so nobody can tell me if I should convert my mobi books to the new mobi or axw3 ?

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #116
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
so nobody can tell me if I should convert my mobi books to the new mobi or axw3 ?

applesauce
Both mobi and azw3 work fine on the Paperwhite. It is a matter of preference. I have 100% mobi on mine. Other people prefer azw3.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #117
dlessnau
dlessnau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Sending books by email

Every time I try to email a book to my Paperwhite using Calibre it fails. Any idea on how to fix it.
dlessnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #118
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlessnau View Post
Every time I try to email a book to my Paperwhite using Calibre it fails. Any idea on how to fix it.
This section of the FAQ might help.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #119
ctm3rd
ctm3rd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I just received a new pw and I'm having issues with Calibre transferring my collections. I've updated to the latest Calibre and I even updated my software on my kindle however, no matter what i try the collections do not show up on my PW.
The collections worked on my 3G keyboard kindle.
Any solutions?
ctm3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #120
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm3rd View Post
I just received a new pw and I'm having issues with Calibre transferring my collections. I've updated to the latest Calibre and I even updated my software on my kindle however, no matter what i try the collections do not show up on my PW.
The collections worked on my 3G keyboard kindle.
Any solutions?
Unless something has changed, your PW must be jailbroken in order for the collections plugin to work. You can thank Amazon for that.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote