Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 10-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #136
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Better to ask them about flashing tools and image files (for example onyx company released it for sellers and ereader-store re-released it for the users) then you won't have to send your device away.
Now when Boyue developing their rom you should ask them about each feature you're lacking because later they will abandon updates like they did with likebook plus.
DarkCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:25 AM   #137
Sonofrobot
Connoisseur
Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCookie View Post
Better to ask them about flashing tools and image files (for example onyx company released it for sellers and ereader-store re-released it for the users) then you won't have to send your device away.
Now when Boyue developing their rom you should ask them about each feature you're lacking because later they will abandon updates like they did with likebook plus.
I did ask for all that but the seller claimed it was proprietary etc etc and wouldn't release it.
Sonofrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #138
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I've emailed the Amazon seller. I'll see if I get the same response.

Edit: The seller has responded. (I give them credit for responding relatively quickly.) Here is the response: I'm so sorry that the first batch of items cannot support Google play. It's still needs a manual upgrade. Then can support Google play. Can you send the item to our US office this week? We will send you back after the upgrade.

Sounds - more or less - like the response that Sonofrobot had.

I've responded, asking them if "the first batch of devices" can support the promised auto-refresh fix. I'll let you know what response I get.

If I could root the Mars, I could install Google Play if I wanted.

I wish that Boyue would share flashing tools and image files like Onyx does.

Last edited by downeaster59; 10-04-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Updated info
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:36 PM   #139
romevi
Enthusiast
romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Likebook Mars
Wait, what?
What constitutes the first batch?

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread in a week and shocked to see some won't be able to support it.
romevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #140
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We'll have to ask the seller what "the first batch" is!
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #141
Sylph
Sylph began at the beginning.

I bought a Mars from the only seller on UK Amazon marketplace (for the Amazon purchase protection). It doesn't have Google Play despite running the latest software installed OTA. You might all be interested in this: https://twitter.com/BoyueTechnology/...98353748430848. On my reader that framework option simply isn't there. Seem's like we're screwed.

I've put in a refund request and will likely buy either here or here.

Regarding that last link, does anyone know whether that's Boyue's official store? Also what's the difference between the two "versions"? Google translate calls them "Standard version" and "Package A" which is delightful opaque.
Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #142
downeaster59
Wizard

Well, I requested that the US seller send me a link to this "manual upgrade" with instructions so that I can install it without sending the device in. I've done firmware upgrades on my own before. They said they would get back to me on that request. So, we might not be SOL just yet...

I'm guessing that the hardware is the same in both 'versions'; it's the firmware that is different. I'm guessing again that Boyue began production before they had authorization from Google to include Google Play, etc. in the Mars. Thus, the first batch is without GP. Then, Boyue got authorization to include it, but in such a way that the end user must activate it. Makes things confusing on our end - not to mention discouraging!

But, Boyue, if you're reading this, it's not too late to fix it!
Old 10-05-2018, 01:22 PM   #143
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
I also contacted the Amazon seller, and so far, I have been told, "I still need to ask the R&D engineer to see if you can get the upgrade firmware and instructions later.
If there is the latest news, I will let you know the first time."
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #144
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
I also contacted the Amazon seller, and so far, I have been told, "I still need to ask the R&D engineer to see if you can get the upgrade firmware and instructions later.
If there is the latest news, I will let you know the first time."
That's almost word-for-word what I was told! Hmmm....
Old 10-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #145
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
I have a couple questions for other people with a Likebook Mars.

1) What CPU speed is reported for yours by system info apps? Mine is reporting that it is 1.2 Ghz, whereas it is advertised as 1.5 Ghz.

2) If Google Play is working on yours, are you able to get the Nook app to work? I don't have Google Play yet, and I'm hoping that getting it will enable this app to work. Apart from not being able to access paid versions of apps, not being able to use the Nook app is the main problem I'm having with the Likebook Mars.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:09 PM   #146
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
I have a couple questions for other people with a Likebook Mars.

1) What CPU speed is reported for yours by system info apps? Mine is reporting that it is 1.2 Ghz, whereas it is advertised as 1.5 Ghz.

2) If Google Play is working on yours, are you able to get the Nook app to work? I don't have Google Play yet, and I'm hoping that getting it will enable this app to work. Apart from not being able to access paid versions of apps, not being able to use the Nook app is the main problem I'm having with the Likebook Mars.
Having Google Play won't make the Nook app work, as far as I can see. I tried installing and running the Nook app on my Mars, which does not have Google Play. Once I tap the Nook icon, I get a popup that says "Can't play this video". Then the app freezes on the "nook" screen - just a gray screen with the work "nook" near the center.

I installed Nova Launcher, and tried running Nook from that. Same result.

Looks to me like the inability to play the video makes the app freeze. Google Play won't fix that.

The Kindle app works, but that's no help to you!

I installed my paid version of Calibre Companion (got it from my Android tablet) and it works fine on the Mars so far.

Edit: Looks like you may be right about the link between the Nook problem and the lack of Google Play. In some cases, videos on Android apps have some link to Google+, or need it in some way. No Google Play, no other Google apps, and therefore we have video problems! So, anyone with Google Play have a working Nook app?

Last edited by downeaster59; 10-05-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #147
romevi
Enthusiast
romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.romevi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Well, I requested that the US seller send me a link to this "manual upgrade" with instructions so that I can install it without sending the device in. I've done firmware upgrades on my own before. They said they would get back to me on that request. So, we might not be SOL just yet...

I'm guessing that the hardware is the same in both 'versions'; it's the firmware that is different. I'm guessing again that Boyue began production before they had authorization from Google to include Google Play, etc. in the Mars. Thus, the first batch is without GP. Then, Boyue got authorization to include it, but in such a way that the end user must activate it. Makes things confusing on our end - not to mention discouraging!

But, Boyue, if you're reading this, it's not too late to fix it!

I've installed Arch Linux on a MBP with zero CLI experience. How hard can manual firmware installation be?!
romevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:23 PM   #148
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by romevi View Post
I've installed Arch Linux on a MBP with zero CLI experience. How hard can manual firmware installation be?!
See, good people of Boyue? We can do it!
Old 10-06-2018, 03:05 AM   #149
FastFingers
FastFingers began at the beginning.

Device: C67ML Carta 2
A pretty good comparison with the Amazon Oasis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHat2omvR1U

I think I'll wait until 11/11, a popular sale day. Seems like there's still remaining software issues and that'll reduce the chance I'll get a first batch by accident.
FastFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #150
Sylph
Sylph began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCookie View Post
You got your Mars from Boyue's official store, right? Can you please give me the URL.
Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote