Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2021, 02:33 PM   #16
jswitte
jswitte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Newton (maybe), iBook pdf..
Is this “S1 root-for-hire” still available? Has the method they used to do it been released? I've seen HappyZ"'s "dpt-tools" [1]. But it only seems to definitely apply to the RP1 and CP1. Will it work on the S1? (I'd have thought the older devices would be *easier* to hack than the newer ones.. That sadly seems the trend with security/lawyer-paranoid companies these days.

I'm rather ticked because I *got* the S1 specifically *because* it was older as a "hacking toy" (in addition to e-ink device bigger than a small notepad). That and the expansion port.

It seems to have an almost-dead battery, and *zero* repairability. Short of maybe X-ray to determine where the battery is. Then cut though the back with a CNC bit to avoid hitting the screen by “nanometer-ing down”.

But appears to work. The "bolt" icon won't appear when plugged in, always is the "diagonal hatched" icon. I *do* hope the processor is not throttling because of “low-power”.

Do you think that the Kozlowski Android e-reader campaign [2] would be willing to sell be the base e-paper itself to experiment with? The Sony is one of the few e-readers/e-ink displays out there that is actually big enough to actually "seem like a real book".

Is there anyone out there actually experimenting with make a real "e-book"? Meaning 70 or so pages of (flexible) e-ink sheets, and some Gawd-awful complicated addressing electronics, that could actually be used like a physical book is? (Flipped back and forth, physical book marks put in, “virtual dog-earing”? With maybe some kind of haptic capacity to "thicken" the page at the location of the dog-ear. The only thing I’m aware of to do this kind of haptics is the technology used in "digital Braille" display, but there are probably other. Or maybe even physical dog-earing. It would physically crease the e-ink "fabric", but without any functional damage.

I read somewhere about a university professor who was experimenting with nano-channel fabrication, and “accidentally” found that that had a light-diffraction effect when electrified. It said the material itself was thin - about 0.5-1 mm thick, which is the thickness you'd need for such a "real e-book". You’d have to figure out how to *interface* with a couple million pixels.. (150 psi, 8/11 inches, 120 pages; =8.5*11*150*120/10^6). LED displays do this all the time - but there they are all in two dimensions on a piece of silicon (I think), so there’s no “third dimension” to address in the “spine” of the book.

But I can't find the article anymore. It’s probably somewhere in enormous *11 GB* (compressed) dog-pile of stored "restoreSession" files I have (plus a bunch of un-compressed ones I have.. somewhere). Does anyone here remember running across this? I guess this is "crowd-sourced memory help"?

[1] https://github.com/HappyZ/dpt-tools/...-Rooting-Guide

[2] https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...oid-e-reader#/
jswitte is offline   Reply With Quote