Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
Converto
Converto began at the beginning.

Device: Windows PC, Samsung Galaxy Tab A T585
Batch processing: How to export covers out of epubs

I have here hundreds of epubs of a special series. To get a cover-gallery I want to extract all the covers out of the epub. Using "export books" Calibre exports the epub and the Cover in 2 separated files. That's fine. But the covers (jpg) are all named with title and author, but not with the number of the issue of the series, though the name of the epubs are containing the issue number.

What I have to do to get the jpgs named correctly including the issue-number?

Again:
Name of the original epub: [series][issue no][author][title]
Name of the exported epub: [title][author] (that is not important, I don't keep these files)
Name of the exported jpg: [title] [author]
WANTED name of the exported jpg: [issue no] (title, author not necessary)

If it's not possible to do it with Calibre, any idea is welcome to get the covers extracted automatically.
Converto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Change the Template in Preferences->Saving to Disk

IIRC the drop down has some templates that include Series name and Series index.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:11 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the command line ebook-meta tool https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...book-meta.html
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:23 AM   #4
Converto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Change the Template in Preferences->Saving to Disk
IIRC the drop down has some templates that include Series name and Series index.
Yes, that worked, so that the exported epubs now keep the names of the original files.
Option "Save cover separately" is activated. (sorry, I'm using non-English-Calibre, maybe different wording). But suddenly NO covers are exported, only epub and opf files.
Problem is the option within "adding books": "read metadata from file content instead of file name". I get the covers only when I have activated this option! But then the prefs (saving to disc) are ignored, so the series number is not added.
Much complicate, sorry, cannot explain it more simple.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:30 AM   #5
Converto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Use the command line ebook-meta tool https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...book-meta.html
Yes, that seems to be the solution, as I have read elsewhere. Though I have experience with command line, I am totally unsuccesfull here!
"List" does not show me any book. "Add" does not add books. I started command line as administrator ... Just trying calibredb.exe --get-cover did not do anything. The calibre manual is no help, since it's lacking examples.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:25 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Converto View Post
Yes, that worked, so that the exported epubs now keep the names of the original files.
Option "Save cover separately" is activated. (sorry, I'm using non-English-Calibre, maybe different wording). But suddenly NO covers are exported, only epub and opf files.
Problem is the option within "adding books": "read metadata from file content instead of file name". I get the covers only when I have activated this option! But then the prefs (saving to disc) are ignored, so the series number is not added.
Much complicate, sorry, cannot explain it more simple.
This worked for me, including a book with no format files and a generated cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-05 192007.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	189516

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 05:25 AM   #7
Converto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
This worked for me, including a book with no format files and a generated cover.
Attachment 189516
Thanks a lot!
The template did the trick! I had tried to edit the template before, but I guess I did it wrong.
Thank you again and have a good time!

Tags
batch, covers, epub, export