Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #61
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elecman View Post
Sherman, THANK YOU so much for fabricating this version to fit on Sony Devices as well as it does. I've been looking all around for a Bible with a TOC that actually works, on my PRS-350 no less . . .
I am curious which version that you download and are using?

I don't have a PRS-350, but on my PRS-650 the version 3 file would crash and lock up my reader if I searched for a bible verse like "for god so loved"

Instead of finding John 3:16 like it should, this search would crash my PRS-650 and completely lock it up so it became totally unresponsive.

If you do have version 3, and you try this, be aware that the only way I could find to recover from the lockup condition was to use the paper-clip to press the reset for several seconds, then release the reset button, wait a few seconds and press the power on slider switch to the 'on' position for several seconds (which re-boots the reader's firmware).

Last edited by delphin; 02-12-2011 at 02:36 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:02 AM   #62
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
This is a wonderfully interesting subject.

The problem is that, we use this thread to inform people about the arrival of new books. Most of you behave like squatters with oh! and ah! comments which add nothing to the book information.

The rule of thumb here on this thread is: one book, one message.None of you ever noticed it?

Why, you spiritual guys, don't you open a specific bible thread somewhere ?

I may be a little disrespecful but I think you have to be aware of it. The other advantage is that I won't trouble you there.

Thank you.

Last edited by roger64; 02-12-2011 at 03:04 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #63
Elecman
Enthusiast
Elecman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphin View Post
I am curious which version that you download and are using?
I downloaded and am using the Bible derived from the very first post Sherman made.

I tried the same search query you tried... it locked up my 350 also. I would speculate that a multi-word search such as "for god so loved" is exhaustive and wonder if it would finish if given enough time.

See, I searched that term while on the very same page and it did find it. However if I repeat the search at the beginning of the Bible, with over 1200 pages of searching for a low power device with limited CPU resources searching for a multi-word query... it is likely a search destined to fail. And as someone who writes firmware and designs circuits, without a debugger there is no telling if the device is really "working", caught up in a loop, or is suffering from overflow/stack errors when executing such a search.

So in my very light opinion, I think such a search may be beyond the capabilities of the Sony Reader itself, and not necessarily the .epub file.

Last edited by Elecman; 02-12-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Elecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #64
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elecman View Post
I downloaded and am using the Bible derived from the very first post Sherman made . . .

So in my very light opinion, I think such a search may be beyond the capabilities of the Sony Reader itself, and not necessarily the .epub file.
Try this version that I created from Sherman's HTML using Sigil to manually split the internal components of the file slightly differently.

Bible - King James Version v4c.epub

This is my final version which splits the EPUB internally into a much more manageable 80 parts or so for the whole Bible, which seems to be just about optimal.

I haven't found any reader crash issues with this version, and loading and navigation also seem faster and more reliable.

The "for god so loved the world" search completes in only 10 to 15 seconds, even from the cover page, and navigation using the TOC or by double tapping the page number and using the page select slide bar is virtually instantaneous.

I made a few other minor changes as well -

Added a cover page based on a public domain image of the title page to the 1611 first edition of the Authorized King James Version Bible by Cornelius Boel (Source: Wikipedia) The image was contrast, brightness, and gama, adjusted, then resized and sharpened for optimal display.

Updated the Table Of Contents to add links to jump directly to the Old Testament and New Testament sections, and to use the modern standard short form KJV naming for the books of the Bible. So, "THE FOURTH BOOK OF MOSES, CALLED NUMBERS" has been replaced in the TOC with simply "NUMBERS" (this is similar to the v3.0 EPUB, except for the added Old Testament, and New Testament section dividers)

Selected a default font sized for easy reading on the Sony, without having to use the Sony's font size selector to pick a larger font.

Note that EPUB files are internally structured as a zipped archive, and the internal structure the EPUB has been simplified so much in my version that, despite adding a 200k JPEG cover art image, the overall file size is now SMALLER by about 600k (down from 2.2MB to only 1.6MB)

Sherman's original file actually had a much smaller split size, splitting files simply on Bible chapter boundaries, which in theory should have been great, but for some reason many of the EPUB readers I tried had problems dealing with the more than 1200 internal sections that this creates (FBreader often could not load the file at all).

I created this version after doing quite a bit of testing to find the optimal internal split size that works best with large files like the Bible, given the limited resources of these portable reading devices.

Note: This changes I am describing are only technical internal structural changes inside the EPUB. On your reader, it still looks like the same book, and you still have the full indexing down the chapter level, so you do not loose any navigation capability.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.

Last edited by delphin; 02-15-2011 at 12:20 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #65
Elecman
Enthusiast
Elecman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
delphin, that V4 works like a charm. Searching with my 350 for that query only takes maybe 10 seconds now. Good job with that!
Elecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #66
Gae
Gae began at the beginning.

Device: Mobile
Thankyou
Gae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bible, spiritual