Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
Fizz
Fizz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505/SC
Help with conversion from PDF to EPUB

Hi - I'm new to this whole ebook thing and need help!
Awaiting delivery of a PRS-505, and I want to put some of my XFiles fanfiction on it. (Some of the stories are quite short e.g. 0.5mb)

I have saved each story as a PDF file and then used Calibre to convert to EPUB. The finished document looks fine in the viewer, but the original text has been converted four times within the same document!
How do I prevent this? ( I haven't fiddled with any conversions settings yet because I don't know what I'm doing!)
Should I avoid PDF completely?
Any help would be gratefully received.
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
What format do you have this book in before you saved it as PDF? PDF is probably the worst format to convert from.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Fizz

I saved the file as a PDF directly from the net.
Should I copy and paste into Word instead?
Old 10-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
I saved the file as a PDF directly from the net.
Should I copy and paste into Word instead?
Oh, yeah. Avoid PDFs whenever possible.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
What format do you have this book in before you saved it as PDF? PDF is probably the worst format to convert from.
Absolutely. It's never going to look great converting from pdf. The pdf's themselves will probably look better on your device.

If I want to make something for my Reader, I use Word to make it look decent, then to save it as "web page, filtered" and use calibre to convert it to lrf or epub.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Fizz

Thanks so much for your replies
I will take your advice and sort things out in Word before using Calibre.