Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #61
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Apple used to be in the same situation with the iPod and itunes DRM, which they finally got rid of. I think the difference is that Apple wanted to get rid of DRM (never wanted it in the first place), and the music industry finally gave up on it. The question is whether or not Amazon wants to get rid of DRM, and if the publishing industry is smart enough to learn anything from the music industry.
Amazon does have to get rid of DRM to allow Mobipocket to be on all the readers in the world. They just have to change their internal policy.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #62
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Amazon does have to get rid of DRM to allow Mobipocket to be on all the readers in the world. They just have to change their internal policy.

Dale
True. I thought the question I was responding to was the long term existence of DRM in general though, not the Mobipocket format in particular.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #63
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
True. I thought the question I was responding to was the long term existence of DRM in general though, not the Mobipocket format in particular.
Oh, the thread title is about losing DRM mobi books after the software upgrade that includes ADE support. I would presume the topic is the thread title but perhaps I am wrong.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #64
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
The future of Mobipocket (as a site and as a format) and the future of DRM are somewhat connected.
With the decline of prc in favor of epub we experience the first major eBook store and one of the most popular eBook formats to gradually vanish and lose significance. Should Mobipocket.com ever close its doors, no other major eBook store will mainly support prc.

As one format among others, of course. But will shops still stick to DRM prc then? More, will customers even WANT to rely on DRM prc?
Should Mobipocket.com ever have to close, Amazon loses its major asset to capitalize on prc, especially on DRM prc. The exclusivity clause simply would become irrelevant then. As long as there are non-e-Ink devices out there , there's a market for DRM prc, but it will steadily decrease.

There's quite some lessons to be learned from this "casus DRM prc" in the months to come, and I do hope that shops, publishers and manufacturers are willing to look closely and avoid any unfortunate decisions in the future.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #65
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
I think anyone who can read (and follow instructions) can convert ebooks with Calibre.
Would you be kind enough please to point me to the 'instructions' on converting books with Calibre? I can read, but am having a lot of trouble converting books from XHTML/CSS to Mobipocket, especially in getting the Table of Contents right.

So any help you can give would be appreciated.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #66
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Oh, the thread title is about losing DRM mobi books after the software upgrade that includes ADE support. I would presume the topic is the thread title but perhaps I am wrong.
Threads are supposed to stay on topic?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #67
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
Amazon is evil. Anybody who didn't already know that, isn't paying attention.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 AM   #68
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
It's mostly just speculation at this point, but iRex customers will likely be in the same boat soon. They are also adding Adobe ePub/PDF support to the DR1000, and will likely have to remove Mobipocket DRM support. No official word from the company, but that's the only scenario I can see happening.

It sounds like a lot of devices are dumping the Mobi format. I'm sure their insistence on the exclusivity term in their license is causing a lot of this. Makes you wonder if Amazon will drop that term in order to try and save the format, or if they'll just let it die. I'm not sure how much Amazon really cares about Mobipocket other than what they do with it on the kindle.
I just had a nasty suspicious thought. What if, once DRM-Mobipocket support isn't available anywhere else, Amazon changed the Kindle firmware so people could read DRM Mobipocket e-books on it? Do you think they would pick up those readers with pre-existing DRM Mobipocket ebooks who can't read their old books on any other new reader?
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I just had a nasty suspicious thought. What if, once DRM-Mobipocket support isn't available anywhere else, Amazon changed the Kindle firmware so people could read DRM Mobipocket e-books on it? Do you think they would pick up those readers with pre-existing DRM Mobipocket ebooks who can't read their old books on any other new reader?
You would have to go to all the eBook shops you purchased your eBooks, put in the new PID and redownload. And if the shop is not there or the book is not there, you'd be out of luck.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, drm, firmware, mobipocket, update