Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #31
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Nice review...it is really helping to see these devices reviewed by end users. I agree your buds have a thumb fetish, but, hey, the IQ was outstanding and we know you don't bite your fingernails!! hehehehe...

I really liked the Jetbook, but now after seeing it in use sense it's not likely for me because the page turn control on the left is a slider. I would have liked to hear and see how easy it was to use one handed. When I could still hold books I always read one handed. Even would turn pages with my left thumb some days, but, as a rule I probably almost always turned pages right the right hand. Then came my PDA's and the clie nx73v which, with it's jog wheel and Mobireader software make one handed use my fav way to use a smaller form factor reader.

I still think I need to try out one of these are BB&B to know first hand...thanks!!
Actually there are three page turn controls. The slider on the left (which I never use), a rocker switch on the lower left, and the right left arrow keys on the four way switch. So it doesn’t matter if you hold it in your right hand or left hand, there is a convenient page turn button right under your thumb.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #32
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
where is the jackass pengin.. wait there is here 3rd from the right on the buttom
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #33
onewayherway
Enthusiast
onewayherway began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505
How is it in sunlight?
onewayherway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #34
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Apparently luBIB is my twin brother.

BOb
apparently this thread has been completely taken over by discussions of penguins thanks to pilotbob, kris, and daffy lol
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #35
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Actually there are three page turn controls. The slider on the left (which I never use), a rocker switch on the lower left, and the right left arrow keys on the four way switch. So it doesn’t matter if you hold it in your right hand or left hand, there is a convenient page turn button right under your thumb.
thanks wodin for bringing that up.

i actually forgot to mention it in the video but when holding it with either hand you do have the ability to turn the page on the left or right side using the buttons provided.
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #36
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewayherway View Post
How is it in sunlight?
with the TFT screen there isn't really a glare at all.

indoors as well, under fluorescent lights you won't get a blind spot on the text at all.

it also works well under dim lit conditions so reading at night with a small lamp (like i do lol) is really easy and the words still remain crisp.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 AM   #37
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
I want a jetbook now. but its still pricy. if it drops 50 bucks or I can find it used I will get one in an instant.
jetBook available on NEWEGG for $169.99 now. I don't know how long they will have this sale.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:48 AM   #38
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

jetBook - Superior eBook Reader

I like this jetBook review - written on NEWEGG website:

Pros: Excellent value, well designed, and a convenient easy-to-use device; very simple to navigate since the controls are consistent and logical; for the many file formats supported, simply throw the books on an SD card (or load via USB) and start reading; jetBook combines SD files seamlessly into file views; display very readable from direct sunlight to lower light conditions even with small font size; many advanced features (dictionary & language translate/lookup per word, text search, records portrait/landscape plus font size for each bookmark per file, can play MP3 in background while reading); native PDF and Mobi/PRC support; long battery life per charge; excellent size to fit in coat or pants pocket; protective case included; regular software feature upgrades/patches (e.g. new file formats); page turns are relatively quick (but PDF images take longer on every other page); monochrome graphics (in JPG, PNG, GIF or BMP) are surprisingly good for only 16 shades on 640 by 480 TFT display

Cons: Minor issues: no native DJVU support yet; device documentation is minimal (not all capabilities written up so user is left to discover them) but less needed since the context menus function so logically; I don't believe hyperlinks are supported with the software but it could via navigational controls (even without a touch display); audio hardware geared toward speech reproduction (don't buy as an MP3 player) but that's consistent with jetBook's primary purpose; minor but noticed light-gray appears to "strobe" in bright sunlight especially with a larger font size (and _underline_ character)

Other Thoughts: I've only had it for a few hours but can see it doesn't have the same deficiencies as my eBookMan 911 (e.g. long battery life, more font size choices, file conversion steps not necessary). jetBook is not a PDA so all features are consistent with providing an excellent reading experience. Not really competing with Kindle since that product focuses on book buying via 3G connection; I wanted a device to leverage my existing library of ~30K ebooks. jetBook delivers the features with no negative surprises. Tried all file formats so far (except RTF); especially pleased with versatile FB2 format so may convert many titles to FictionBook. I found that PDF in landscape mode is best plus you control the zoom level. Sort by author or title if you use jetBook's author#title convention. Easy file management of internal flash or SD card is unusual. Newegg delivery was fast and set a good price; another happy customer!
Old 07-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #39
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
jetBook available on NEWEGG for $169.99 now. I don't know how long they will have this sale.
Wow Kris. You are really on top of these sales. Thanks to your earlier post I bit the bullet and ordered one from BBB for $160 yesterday. If Ectaco can keep it up they might be in a good position to undercut everyone else with e-ink screens and gain market share. The key is advertising.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:14 PM   #40
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Wow Kris. You are really on top of these sales. Thanks to your earlier post I bit the bullet and ordered one from BBB for $160 yesterday. If Ectaco can keep it up they might be in a good position to undercut everyone else with e-ink screens and gain market share. The key is advertising.
Interesting. As I know BBB sell jetBook for $199.99. Did you use the coupon code to get $40 discount?
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=16571865
Old 07-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #41
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Interesting. As I know BBB sell jetBook for $199.99. Did you use the coupon code to get $40 discount?
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=16571865
Yup.
Well actually I ordered it in-store where the 20% off coupon is valid.

Last edited by akira28; 07-17-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #42
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Yup.
Well actually I ordered it in-store where the 20% off coupon is valid.
It sounds like a nice deal
Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #43
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm in the U.S. for 10 days, having arrived yesterday.

I just ordered the Jetbook and was able to get it for the price of $159 and free shipping.

It should arrive here by Wednesday or Thursday.

I'll also be ordering a Kindle2 and will be taking both back to Peru with me, to keep my incredible Sony 505 company.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #44
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm in the U.S. for 10 days, having arrived yesterday.

I just ordered the Jetbook and was able to get it for the price of $159 and free shipping.

It should arrive here by Wednesday or Thursday.

I'll also be ordering a Kindle2 and will be taking both back to Peru with me, to keep my incredible Sony 505 company.

Don
You will have a good collection of eBook readers soon . Did you order jetBook from BBB?
Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #45
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
You will have a good collection of eBook readers soon . Did you order jetBook from BBB?
Yes, from BBB.

However, just now I recieved confirmatin of my order and that it would take approx. 2 WEEKS; whereas, at BBB they said it would be here probably Wednesday or Thursday.

I'm only in the country until July 27.

I'm going to call them and find out if they can get it here before I leave. If not, it will take about $40 to ship to Peru (and there is no insurance available in that counrty). Also, electronic items are sometimes "unaccountably" missing when they arrive. (Peru is a third-world country.)

So....I'm keeping my fingers crossed to see if I can get it before I leave.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote