Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Letizia
Letizia began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi everyone, and sorry for my English, I'm Italian. I work for a publisher who wants to start creating ePubs from his books, starting from the InDesign file. I must use this software. But I have lot of troubles, the biggest one is this error when I try to open the ePub both with Stanza and Bookworm:

Could not find required entry in archive: OEBPS/\Stile%20saggi.xhtml\E Available entries are: [META-INF/container.xml, META-INF/encryption.xml, OEBPS/Stile saggi.xhtml, OEBPS/content.opf, OEBPS/template.css, OEBPS/toc.ncx, mimetype]

where "Stile saggi" is file's name. I can open this ePub only with Digital Edition, of course, but I don't really need this, of course again.
I'm going crazy because of this error and I really don't know how to fix it. Even opening the archive and comparing files with ePubs that work I can't find any difference, I'm not really expert so I'm asking for your help and hoping that my question isn't too stupid!
One more detail: I'm using trial version of InDesign CS4.
Thanks a lot
Letizia
Letizia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It looks like somewhere there's OEBPS/\Stile%20saggi.xhtml\E while it should be OEBPS/Stile saggi.xhtml

I have no idea what's the problem, though. I've never used InDesign.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Letizia

Yes, I think so, but I think even that %20 is a way to substitute space between words, and I can't understand why InDesign uses it and/or why it is a problem. If spaces in the file name generate errors there should be an advice while saving the file itself... Thanks for help
Old 06-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's \S instead of S and \E at the end, which I don't know the meaning of. Can that be an hyperlink somewhere?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Letizia

Jellby I've noticed the \E at the end of the file extension and now I see that because I've had to type the error advice (I'couldn't copy and paste) I've forgotten a Q:

OEBPS/\QStile%20saggi.xhtml\E

I really dont'know what they stand for. The file is empty: it just contains stiles and tags to try the structure, there are no hyperlinks in it. Why do you suggest this? I'm asking to understand, I repeat I'm not expert at all. Thanks a lot
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Oh, that makes more sense. \Q and \E could be representing left and right quotes... and that leads me back to what I asked about hyperlinks, I meant that maybe there's something linking to "Stile saggi.xhtml" and somehow the quotes and encoded space are being escaped instead of just ignored (or whatever).

Can you post the problem epub here, or a smaller version having the same problem?
Old 06-23-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Letizia

Thanks a lot Jellby, as soon as I'll be at work tomorrow I'll post the file.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #8
Letizia

I'm sorry, I don't know how to upload the file... How can I do?
Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Click on "New Reply" or on the "Go Advanced" button, then, scroll down to the "Manage Attachments" button, there you can upload files (though I don't know if you need a minimum number of posts to be allowed to attach files).
Old 06-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
Letizia

Ok, can you see the file now?
Attached Files
File Type: epub Stile saggi.epub (2.1 KB, 540 views)
Old 06-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

It validates if I remove the encryption.xml file (it seems to be a bug in epubcheck), and it loads into Bookworm if I add a title and replace %20 with a space in both content.opf and toc.ncx (that could be a bug in Bookworm, but I don't know if the %20 encoding is allowed in opf and ncx files).

I'd say the %20 issue is either a bug in InDesign or a bug in Bookworm/Stanza.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #12
Letizia

Thanks Jellby!!! I'll follow your suggestions and I'll let you know if I solve the problem.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Letizia

Perfect, it works. The trouble now is that InDesign CS4 has more bugs than useful solution (at least for ePubs) but it's a war beetween me and Adobe If I'll find some other topic I'll write here, thanks a lot you've solved a really big problem!!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I'm glad it worked. Maybe you could export from InDesign to some other format and then use another converter like Calibre to generate the ePUB.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
Letizia

Actually the goal is to obtain ePubs from InDesign files with the minimum effort. So I'd prefer to avoid the use of other software or to have another conversion to do. If only InDesign works without adding errors... it's a dream!! However I think this could be an interesting topic for a lot of small and medium publishers, so I'll continue to post about problems I'll find to create a valid support at least on this forum. You're precious, go on!