Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
Gettin' close - I'll add more screen shots later......
I've got something that seems to work in all the renders I've got handy. Instead of messing around with the more esoteric "display" values I'm setting a negative "text-indent" on the paragraph containing the drop cap. Modified version of the test EPUB attached showing what I mean (although other modifications are possibly necessary, as I change the properties of the .initial class).
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.epub (1.21 MB, 350 views)
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:07 AM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
So... negative "margin-left" causes havoc and "position: relative" is not supported.

Another "trick": negative indent for the paragraph and a correspoding marging-left for the drop cap (but I'd have to alter the code for the A and L case).

EDIT: Sorry, Llasram, I didn't see your post, being in page 2.
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.epub (1.21 MB, 335 views)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
1/9 3:40 pm, llasram versions attached. Any chance of getting the drop cap to drop a smidge?

Stanza included this time for fun - hardly any formatting at all in Stanza, and no hyperlinking.

Oh, one other thing I don't understand. Calibre is missing this line:

"I — The Birth of the Prince and the Pauper"

that all the other readers seem to pick up. Any ideas as to what we're seeing?

-bjc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	better drop cap - calibre 1.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	20974   Click image for larger version

Name:	better drop cap - sony.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	20975   Click image for larger version

Name:	better drop cap - sony 13.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	20976   Click image for larger version

Name:	better drop cap ade 1.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	20977   Click image for larger version

Name:	better drop cap ade 13.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	20978   Click image for larger version

Name:	better drop cap - stanza.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	20979   Click image for larger version

Name:	better drop cap - calibre 13.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	20980  
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
1/9 3:40 pm, llasram versions attached. Any chance of getting the drop cap to drop a smidge?

Stanza included this time for fun - hardly any formatting at all in Stanza, and no hyperlinking.

Oh, one other thing I don't understand. Calibre is missing this line:

"I — The Birth of the Prince and the Pauper"

that all the other readers seem to pick up. Any ideas as to what we're seeing?

-bjc
that means, calibre is the only one correctly rendering the code : that line is the page header, which should either be displayed as a running page header if that is supported, or not displayed at all. so far all the other displays incorrectly interpret it and include in the flow.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's easy to make it drop... but it's not quite "portable", I mean that the exact positioning and size will depend on the font, line height, etc., and what looks fine in some configuration might look terrible (the drop cap overlapping the text, or huge blank spaces) in others. These settings are a compromise, something that is kind of guaranteed that won't look terrible in any configuration, at the cost of not being "perfect" in most of them.
Advert
Old 01-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #21
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's easy to make it drop... but it's not quite "portable", I mean that the exact positioning and size will depend on the font, line height, etc., and what looks fine in some configuration might look terrible (the drop cap overlapping the text, or huge blank spaces) in others. These settings are a compromise, something that is kind of guaranteed that won't look terrible in any configuration, at the cost of not being "perfect" in most of them.
The result is good enough for me. Llasram, Jellby, do you mind much if I use that code for my books with drop caps? Of course, if you find any ameliorations, please lemme know. Thanks bunches, guys. One more solution to a problem.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 01-10-2009 at 11:08 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Laasram, Jellby, do you mind much if I use that code for my books with drop caps?
Not at all, it's free if you like it
Old 01-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #23
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Attached are a couple more shots, 1/9 3:40 pm, llasram version, with the largest and smallest typesize selected in ADE.

The proportionality seems consistent with the positioning of the drop cap to the rest of the paragraph. So altering the code to lower the drop cap should continue to provide consistent viewing regardless of size.

The code will have to be tweaked when a different typeface is selected. Or a different porportion of initial cap to regular type size is needed.

Have I pulled the right code out here?

css:
p {
text-indent: 1em;
margin: 0;
}
p.initial {
text-indent: -0.5em
;
}
span.first {
font-variant: small-caps;
}

span.drop {
font-size: 400%;
font-weight: bold;
float: left;
margin: -0.15em 0.125em 0 0;
text-indent: 0em;
line-height: 1em;
height: 1em;
}

.afterA {
text-indent: -1em;
}

.afterL {
text-indent: -1.5em;
}

xhtml for chapter 1:
<p class="initial"><span class="first"><span class="drop">I</span>n</span> the
ancient city of London, on a certain autumn day in the second quarter of the
sixteenth century, a boy was born to a poor family of the name of Canty, who
did not want him. ...</p>

xhtml for chapter 13:
<p class="afterA"><span class="first"><span class="drop">A</span>&nbsp;
heavy</span> drowsiness presently fell upon the two comrades. The King
said&mdash;</p>

(Bad Coloring Job Mine. All Mine.)

So, if I've read this right, you've got more than 1 after-the-drop-cap-code, depending on, of course, the width of the letter (I's take up less horizontal space than W's. Err, A's).

Refresh my memory - even without scripting, doesn't css support some kind of variables that could detect the width of the letter for us, so we wouldn't have to hand-tweak the after-spacing on every drop cap? (ever the lazy one, I am).

-bjc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dropcap ade largest.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	21002   Click image for larger version

Name:	dropcap ade smallest.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	21003  
Old 01-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #24
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Attached are a couple more shots, 1/9 3:40 pm, llasram version, with the largest and smallest typesize selected in ADE.

The proportionality seems consistent with the positioning of the drop cap to the rest of the paragraph. So altering the code to lower the drop cap should continue to provide consistent viewing regardless of size.

The code will have to be tweaked when a different typeface is selected. Or a different porportion of initial cap to regular type size is needed.

Have I pulled the right code out here?

css:
p {
}
p.initial {
text-indent: -0.5em
;
}
span.first {
font-variant: small-caps;
}

span.drop {
font-size: 400%;
font-weight: bold;
float: left;
margin: -0.15em 0.125em 0 0;
text-indent: 0em;
line-height: 1em;
height: 1em;
}

.afterA {
text-indent: -1em;
}

.afterL {
text-indent: -1.5em;
}

xhtml for chapter 1:
<p class="initial"><span class="first"><span class="drop">I</span>n</span> the
ancient city of London, on a certain autumn day in the second quarter of the
sixteenth century, a boy was born to a poor family of the name of Canty, who
did not want him. ...</p>

xhtml for chapter 13:
<p class="afterA"><span class="first"><span class="drop">A</span>&nbsp;
heavy</span> drowsiness presently fell upon the two comrades. The King
said&mdash;</p>

(Bad Coloring Job Mine. All Mine.)

So, if I've read this right, you've got more than 1 after-the-drop-cap-code, depending on, of course, the width of the letter (I's take up less horizontal space than W's. Err, A's).

Refresh my memory - even without scripting, doesn't css support some kind of variables that could detect the width of the letter for us, so we wouldn't have to hand-tweak the after-spacing on every drop cap? (ever the lazy one, I am).

-bjc
Being lazy myself, how does it look like if one inserts the space on pure principle? Would the I look so bad for that? I'll have to try that, but finally I'll just have to check the practical usage in a book.

I think the
p {
}

won't work for me. I will have to define a special p class for the first paragraph as I use points to define my indent, normally (15pt) (works better for mobi making). Or could I use the points for defining the indent? Or do I have to completely rewrite my code for those drop caps, thus having to make 2 source files?

Last edited by mtravellerh; 01-10-2009 at 03:11 PM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 AM   #25
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Yes, that's what I expected. Since the lengths are given in ems, there should be no problem changing the font size, but changing the typeface or the line spacing (which different devices may allow, or have different defaults) could be different.

Quote:
More than the width of the letter, it's about the shape of the letter. If the letter does not quite reach the top right corner, I add some negative spacing for the rest of the line, otherwise the flow is a bit strange, a sort of kerning. This happens for A and L. If the drop cap would not drop, i.e, if it would extend above the first line, but not below, I would use special code for letters that don't reach the bottom right corner, like T and W.

Another thing. In my tests, with a browser, the drop cap position was affected by the negative indent (it was displaced to the left), so I had to add a matching margin-left to the span.drop definition, and that would need to be changed in the .afterA and .afterL cases... I don't know if this behavior is normal or a "bug" in my browser, tough.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #26
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Being lazy myself, how does it look like if one inserts the space on pure principle? Would the I look so bad for that? I'll have to try that, but finally I'll just have to check the practical usage in a book.
I don't know if I follow you... There is a default spacing for all caps defined, only A and L have something "special", because of their shape.

Quote:
I think the
p {
}

won't work for me. I will have to define a special p class for the first paragraph as I use points to define my indent, normally (15pt) (works better for mobi making). Or could I use the points for defining the indent? Or do I have to completely rewrite my code for those drop caps, thus having to make 2 source files?
That is the definition for normal paragraphs, you can have whatever you want there ("text-indent: 15pt"), yes, you can use "pt" or "px" as units, I just prefer using relative units when possible, but it's true that maybe the indent should be defined in relation to the page width something like 3%, maybe? The special class for the first paragraph is already there: p.initial.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #27
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer

Hmmm. don't think we're done yet.

The Evil Empire has a surprisingly elegant solution to the drop cap problem: It's a menu item in Word, and it creates a 1-celled table with the letter (or word) larger, with text wrapping around it to the right. It's undoable/redoable, and it manages all the drop caps' typeface etc with a style.

It works ok in output html, in the epub built by and read in calibre, but not in ADE.

#########################

Here's the code, attached is a pic and the epub:

<html>

<head>
<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name=Generator content="Microsoft Word 11 (filtered)">
<title>I</title>
<style>
<!--
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{margin:0in;
margin-bottom:.0001pt;
text-indent:.2in;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
p.MsoBodyText, li.MsoBodyText, div.MsoBodyText
{margin-top:0in;
margin-right:0in;
margin-bottom:6.0pt;
margin-left:0in;
text-indent:.2in;
line-height:115%;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
-->
</style>

</head>

<body lang=EN-US>

<div class=Section1>

<div>

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 hspace=0 vspace=0 align=left>
<tr>
<td valign=top align=left style='padding-top:0in;padding-right:0in;
padding-bottom:0in;padding-left:0in'>
<p class=MsoNormal style='line-height:38.55pt;page-break-after:avoid;
vertical-align:baseline'><span style='font-size:46.0pt;font-family:Arial;
color:black'>I</span></p>
</td>
</tr>
</table>

</div>

<p class=MsoNormal style='text-indent:0in'><span style='font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial;color:black'>n the beginning God created the heaven and the
earth.* And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the
face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.* And
God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that
it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.* And God called the
light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning
were the first day.</span></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

Ideas?

Open Office's solution works more like a real css, but the code it produces isn't modifiable from within Writer, and each one is a modification of the style on-the-fly, so if you were to use it, you'd have to hack the file every place you did it, and the default makes a bad drop cap (in both the html and resultant epub) anyway.

............Lazy-boy here wants something he doesn't have to hand code......

-bjc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	word drop cap.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	737.7 KB
ID:	21177  
Attached Files
File Type: epub In the - Unknown.epub (3.2 KB, 294 views)
Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #28
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
The Evil Empire has a surprisingly elegant solution to the drop cap problem: It's a menu item in Word, and it creates a 1-celled table with the letter (or word) larger, with text wrapping around it to the right.
Ewwwwwww. Simple rule for if things should be a table in HTML: is the content actually a table? If no, then no. It appears MSWord creates a table here so that they can set the HTML 3.2-ish "align" attribute to "left," which has the same result as setting the CSS property "float" to "left" on a block-level element in any contemporary renderer. In other words, it achieves the same thing that all the basic previous drop-cap content does, only with 300% (or so) more evil.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #29
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Ewwwwwww. Simple rule for if things should be a table in HTML: is the content actually a table? If no, then no. It appears MSWord creates a table here so that they can set the HTML 3.2-ish "align" attribute to "left," which has the same result as setting the CSS property "float" to "left" on a block-level element in any contemporary renderer. In other words, it achieves the same thing that all the basic previous drop-cap content does, only with 300% (or so) more evil.
MS Word : now with 300% more evil !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 AM   #30
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I wonder if there is a way to have reader-specific CSS code, some rules that would be applied only by ADE, or only by Calibre... that would allow to work around known bugs or limitations.