Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #136
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

the first batch of M96 shall be delivered within of the next week. Onyx prepares it for shipping now. Actually, it could be delivered earlier, but we decided to wait for T68 batch too. Now because of some reasons (optimisation of manufacturing tool) the delivery of T68 has been postponed to around 14 June. So we decided to ship the M96 batch earlier.
Sounds like an interesting option. Is there a specific asking price from your side, yet? And if it is attractive will there be a preorder option?

Last edited by joblack; 05-28-2014 at 04:45 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #137
Avenger
Connoisseur
Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.

Device: iREX DR 1000S
It looks like the M96 is only capacitive touch. Does it still have the function to draw on the screen to add annotations to PDF files? I kind of like Wacom pens so maybe the older model is a better fit for me..
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 PM   #138
FantoM
Enthusiast
FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FantoM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
It looks like the M96 is only capacitive touch. Does it still have the function to draw on the screen to add annotations to PDF files? I kind of like Wacom pens so maybe the older model is a better fit for me..
Where did you get that information?
I think M96 has a stylus support/technology equal to M92...
It says here "electromagnetic"... Don't know if it's really Wacom, but stylus input it's not capacitative.
It can, however, has capacitative touch (hand input) and electromagnetic input (stylus), I don't know, since not many people have tried it yet. But that would be good
FantoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #139
Avenger
Connoisseur
Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.

Device: iREX DR 1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantoM View Post
Where did you get that information?
I think M96 has a stylus support/technology equal to M92...
It says here "electromagnetic"... Don't know if it's really Wacom, but stylus input it's not capacitative.
It can, however, has capacitative touch (hand input) and electromagnetic input (stylus), I don't know, since not many people have tried it yet. But that would be good
Ah. You may be right. It does say electromagnetic touch and that usually relates to a stylus. I wish it would be clearer that it supports stylus input.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #140
tsmithe
tsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-bookstsmithe has learned how to read e-books

Device: None yet
M96 now on ereader-store.eu!
tsmithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #141
Alf77
Enthusiast
Alf77 began at the beginning.

Device: M92 & M96
Keyboard? Play Store?

Great news.

I need two answers:
- Is it possible to connect a BT Keyboard?
- Which limitation (if any) are on the play store?

Thanx,
alf
Alf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #142
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
The fact that's only 319€ is a great surprise! That about what I paid for the M92 when I bought it. Granted, the hardware is not that much better but having Android opens the door for using much more software.
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:40 AM   #143
derball2008
derball2008 doesn't litterderball2008 doesn't litter

Device: none
I've been waiting for the M96 for a almost a month now and almost bought a M92. Now I would buy the M96 straight, but I am not sure if the device is really worth it for 319 €. Sure, I have to wait for the first reviews (unfortunately, I am not an early adaptor :/) to see if someone can recommend it. But for 319 €, that's quite a lot, even for somebody who could afford it.
derball2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:49 AM   #144
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by derball2008 View Post
I've been waiting for the M96 for a almost a month now and almost bought a M92. Now I would buy the M96 straight, but I am not sure if the device is really worth it for 319 €. Sure, I have to wait for the first reviews (unfortunately, I am not an early adaptor :/) to see if someone can recommend it. But for 319 €, that's quite a lot, even for somebody who could afford it.
I can recommend the Onyx M92 and I'll try the M96.

I generally concur with your assessment but with e-ink e-book reader I don't.

Bigger e-book reader generally cost more (e.g. Kindle 4 - 49 Euro, Kindle DX around 200 Euro). On the other side you gain the opportunity to read PDFs, complex e-books and, in the case of the M96, probably comics with Android apps. And that's priceless for me.

Last edited by joblack; 06-06-2014 at 03:51 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #145
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
In my tortured experience with past androids, 1ghz with 512mb ram is a "pita" for Android 4 (ICS).

It will be interesting to see a review of how the M96 is holding up.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:29 AM   #146
2holdon
Enthusiast
2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough2holdon will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox M96
So it seems that my M96 may arrive later today.

As a courtesy to this forum (somebody may be interested) and because this is my first eReader I would really like to get your advice on what to test with this reader right away to make sure it is the right one for me and to make sure it is working fine.

Any ideas what I should try out on the device (apart from the really obvious )?
2holdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #147
CampGareth
CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.CampGareth can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
In my tortured experience with past androids, 1ghz with 512mb ram is a "pita" for Android 4 (ICS).

It will be interesting to see a review of how the M96 is holding up.
That very much depends personal experience and the device. I had a samsung galaxy S1 (think it's still around here somewhere) which runs cyanogenmod based on 4.1 and does it pretty darned well if you don't ask too much of it. Angry birds? No problem, more than 5 tabs in chrome though and old ones need reloading when you come back to them. At the end of the day that probably isn't a problem given we're always waiting on the eink display to refresh.

Separate note, my M96 is due to arrive on Thursday (thanks Booxtor!), I'm currently preparing a microSD card with difficult PDFs and so on so I can review it as soon as it arrives. Can't wait, my nook simple touch died months ago!
CampGareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #148
sao
sao began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2holdon View Post
As a courtesy to this forum (somebody may be interested) and because this is my first eReader I would really like to get your advice on what to test with this reader right away to make sure it is the right one for me and to make sure it is working fine.

Any ideas what I should try out on the device (apart from the really obvious )?
Thanks for the kind offer!

Hardware questions:
(1) How much free storage is available? (go to setting->storage)
(2) Does M96 support USB OTG? (i.e. can M96 read a flash driver connected to the usb port? -- to test this you would need a OTG cable)

Software questions:
(1) Does M96 have access to the google play store?
(2) Suppose it does; can you install the app "lecturenotes (trial version)" and see how well it works -- uploading pdf's (speed?), writing (lag? smooth?), saving (speed? format?)
For sample pdfs could you try a random paper from e.g. http://arxiv.org/list/hep-ex/recent ?
(3) Is the M96 rooted? You can check this by running the free app "Root Checker".

THANKS!
sao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #149
sao
sao began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampGareth View Post
That very much depends personal experience and the device. I had a samsung galaxy S1 (think it's still around here somewhere) which runs cyanogenmod based on 4.1 and does it pretty darned well if you don't ask too much of it. Angry birds? No problem, more than 5 tabs in chrome though and old ones need reloading when you come back to them. At the end of the day that probably isn't a problem given we're always waiting on the eink display to refresh.
I concur with your assessment. Case-in-point: My nook simple touch has just 256M of ram (!) with a single-core CPU overclocked to 1G, and I have no problem reading pdfs with equations and diagrams (even before OC it was working fine at 800MHz). Loading/switching apps does take a bit longer (2-4 sec?), but once it's loaded I have no problem (e.g. webbrowsing with opera mobile).

Of course my NST is not the same as a high power full feature tablet, but it serves its purposes well. And if M96 works like a big version of NST -- with functioning wacom digitizer -- I'd be fine with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampGareth View Post
Separate note, my M96 is due to arrive on Thursday (thanks Booxtor!), I'm currently preparing a microSD card with difficult PDFs and so on so I can review it as soon as it arrives. Can't wait, my nook simple touch died months ago!
Thanks -- look forward to your review!
sao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #150
outremer
outremer began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
thanks

Can't wait to know your first impressions on the m96. Thank you! Could you please test the fast refresh mode (a2)? Is it better than the one found in the rooted nook ? Can you browse as smoothly with no flashes of the monitor ? Thank you
outremer is offline   Reply With Quote