Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rebel View Post
Alright, looking good. It's syncing with the desktop software. I suspect the OP had this same resolution as well.

There was a sticker on the back of the unit saying "QC passed", and it was an obvious refurb. Screen looked like it was wiped with dirt streaks. Other than that, it looks in decent condition.
Fingers crossed!

The refurb aspect makes me think the over-discharged battery is likely. Li-Ions should be stored at 40-50% charged whilst on the shelves to prevent them going flat before reaching the customer. Refurbs unfortunately don't always receive a charge before going back on the shelves.

If it is an overly flat battery then it may be that the life of the battery has been shortened, but by how much, and how annoying it will be, are for the future.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #17
barney_rebel
Book lover
barney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch/Aura, Asus Transformer TF300, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Fingers crossed!

The refurb aspect makes me think the over-discharged battery is likely. Li-Ions should be stored at 40-50% charged whilst on the shelves to prevent them going flat before reaching the customer. Refurbs unfortunately don't always receive a charge before going back on the shelves.

If it is an overly flat battery then it may be that the life of the battery has been shortened, but by how much, and how annoying it will be, are for the future.
The battery dropped to 70% all of a sudden. I'm not liking this. They want my old Kobo returned, but I'm not going to rush returning it until I'm satisfied this thing works.

The rev is a different from my old one FYI. The firmware seems older, menus seem different.
barney_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
The battery dropped to 70% all of a sudden. I'm not liking this. They want my old Kobo returned, but I'm not going to rush returning it until I'm satisfied this thing works.

The rev is a different from my old one FYI. The firmware seems older, menus seem different.
I'll wait and see what you post tomorrow ...
Old 10-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #19
barney_rebel
Book lover
barney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to behold

Battery didn't move much. Last night's reading seemed business as usual, but I'm finding the touch isn't as sensitive as it used to be (may be I was so used to my tablet during its absence). Overall, so far so good. I'll let it discharge a few times and then I'll have a better idea.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Battery didn't move much. Last night's reading seemed business as usual, but I'm finding the touch isn't as sensitive as it used to be (may be I was so used to my tablet during its absence). Overall, so far so good. I'll let it discharge a few times and then I'll have a better idea.
That's good! I think you are wise to adopt that strategy.

On the sensitivity issue, there was one of the firmware releases that had dramatically reduced sensitivity. I can't remember which one off the top of my head, but a upgrade might solve it. The build I have at the moment (2.5.2) is stable and the sensitivity is really good, and I haven't found that it has any nasty habits ... (yet!)
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
barney_rebel
Book lover

Quote:
That's good! I think you are wise to adopt that strategy.

On the sensitivity issue, there was one of the firmware releases that had dramatically reduced sensitivity. I can't remember which one off the top of my head, but a upgrade might solve it. The build I have at the moment (2.5.2) is stable and the sensitivity is really good, and I haven't found that it has any nasty habits ... (yet!)
2.5.2 is what I have too. So far it's okay. Battery is down to 35%.

I do realize the percentage doesn't always tell the whole story though.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #22
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
2.5.2 is what I have too. So far it's okay. Battery is down to 35%.

I do realize the percentage doesn't always tell the whole story though.
Ah, okay!

Regarding the battery discharge -are you using a cover? There is a long thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2661837) about certain types of cover (or other things touching the screen during the sleep process) causing the firmware to cycle at a very high rate of battery use. (I know the title refers to Glo, but we found out it applies to Touch as well).
Old 10-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
barney_rebel
Book lover

Quote:
Ah, okay!

Regarding the battery discharge -are you using a cover? There is a long thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2661837) about certain types of cover (or other things touching the screen during the sleep process) causing the firmware to cycle at a very high rate of battery use. (I know the title refers to Glo, but we found out it applies to Touch as well).
Thanks - I do have the default Kobo cover (not the sleep cover). I make an effort to pull the power switch to hibernate before I put the eReader down.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #24
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Thanks - I do have the default Kobo cover (not the sleep cover). I make an effort to pull the power switch to hibernate before I put the eReader down.
So do I, now!

Good luck - hopefully the battery will hold charge better with a few more cycles in it. If not, send it back to Kobo with a strongly-worded letter/email explaining that you aren't going to be fobbed off with rubbish again!
Old 10-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
barney_rebel
Book lover

Quote:
So do I, now!

Good luck - hopefully the battery will hold charge better with a few more cycles in it. If not, send it back to Kobo with a strongly-worded letter/email explaining that you aren't going to be fobbed off with rubbish again!
Agreed. I'm in absolutely no rush to send in the old one. That battery was good... too bad I can't salvage it.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
barney_rebel
Book lover

Alright, something fishy is going on here. I think they sent me a lemon after all.

I was reading, then all of a sudden, I couldn't turn pages. Pressing the home button, reloading the book sometimes worked. Then "Please charge your e-reader". Uh oh.

I plugged it, in, no fewer than 10 seconds and it was "100% charged". Unplugged it, and it was down to 64%. Rebooted and it was 35% again... it can't seem to make up its mind.

I think the battery gets so "low" that it can't turn pages any more, and no battery warning too. This is frustrating...
Old 10-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Alright, something fishy is going on here. I think they sent me a lemon after all.

I was reading, then all of a sudden, I couldn't turn pages. Pressing the home button, reloading the book sometimes worked. Then "Please charge your e-reader". Uh oh.

I plugged it, in, no fewer than 10 seconds and it was "100% charged". Unplugged it, and it was down to 64%. Rebooted and it was 35% again... it can't seem to make up its mind.

I think the battery gets so "low" that it can't turn pages any more, and no battery warning too. This is frustrating...
It's kna ... errr, broken I think shouty-email time has arrived. It really sounds as if a cell in the battery has packed up. If they made these things with replaceable batteries the fix would be easy ...
Old 10-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #28
barney_rebel
Book lover

Quote:
It's kna ... errr, broken I think shouty-email time has arrived. It really sounds as if a cell in the battery has packed up. If they made these things with replaceable batteries the fix would be easy ...
I noticed the "legit" EPUBs bought off Kobo have no issue with the touchpad.... hmmm. It could be a corrupted file. Well I'll give a few days a go and see. So far it's okay.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #29
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
I noticed the "legit" EPUBs bought off Kobo have no issue with the touchpad.... hmmm. It could be a corrupted file. Well I'll give a few days a go and see. So far it's okay.
I'll keep my fingers crossed again!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
barney_rebel
Book lover

Quote:
I'll keep my fingers crossed again!
I had another "Please charge your e-reader"... I rebooted and it was back up to 24% and climbing

I think the battery needs to figure out the calibration correctly. Unfortunately it takes a good week to discharge, so we'll see. Hopefully that will get me at least a couple books under my belt...