Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #181
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
Elfwreck, agree 100%. Thanks for articulating it so well.
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #182
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Elfwreck well said
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #183
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post

Someone at Kobo decided it'd be a good idea to answer customer and potential-customer questions directly and publicly. And then they decided to stop. They didn't say, "it's been two months and we're done with this phase of public outreach." A developer said he'd answer questions, but was present for less than two weeks before vanishing without explanation.

*That* tells me that Kobo doesn't follow through on its commitments. That Kobo thinks it's okay to tell the public that they'll do something, and then decide not to bother.
Well, really, you can't read anything into Kobo's policies based on one person's post, which was explicitly not meant to represent the company. For all we know, the person is no longer working at Kobo; or for any number of reasons is unable or unwilling to post to the forum.

I'm a software developer, and development can unexpectedly and without warning swallow up all time, including that which could go to volunteer activities; and of course, sometimes life circumstances take over everything, including work and volunteer time.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #184
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Well, really, you can't read anything into Kobo's policies based on one person's post, which was explicitly not meant to represent the company. For all we know, the person is no longer working at Kobo; or for any number of reasons is unable or unwilling to post to the forum.

I'm a software developer, and development can unexpectedly and without warning swallow up all time, including that which could go to volunteer activities; and of course, sometimes life circumstances take over everything, including work and volunteer time.
The developer wasn't the only one. The ux leader went quiet also but he still checks in. 15th of march if I'm not mistaken, so At least there is a chance the problems are being reported back .
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #185
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post

I think the nail is pretty much hit on the head here.

Faisal and Robin are, as far as I'm aware (had quick chat with Faisal on Friday, have seen Robin around, pretty sure it was in the last week) still here

I do know a bit about what's going on internally, obviously not up for discussion, but what I can say is that one of Kobo's motto's is about Kobo speed, and how we strive to do things at an incredible pace, and part of that means serious amounts of work, and things that are not absolutely critical to that tend to fall slightly by the wayside, to the point of not being able to say even that.

No disrespect is meant to MR by saying that, and I think that we all have times when certain things are not touched when our focus is elsewhere.

I'm certainly going to be somewhat quiet for the next few weeks, as there are a few things coming to a head that will need my strict attention, and so anything outside of that, and my family, will simply have to wait.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #186
stevov
Groupie

If Kobo motto is speed where is Jelly Bean. Just about every android device of its generation is running it including many far lesser spec devices. JB is on 4.2 now and we don't have 4.1. So much for promises and speed.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #187
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
What could be needed is an official Kobo Customer Care representative on MobileRead, to pick up and answer questions. That's not my decision to make however, and it's possible it is something Kobo does not want to do (again I'll reference my disclaimer here - that's my personal opinion, possibly not Kobo's) for whatever reason, perhaps because we already have Customer Care channels and that's where things should be directed if a response is required.
Quote:
If we have official representation here, then who is to say we should not have it on other forums, and this then adds to the amount of work that is required by the customer care team.
Perhaps Kobo should look at options, decide on a course of action and stick with it. What they have is certainly better than nothing (I think) but someone at Kobo needs to evaluate this.

Mobileread is full of people who ask questions, but more importantly there are far more knowledgeable people who help out. Absolute plethora of information here. But Kobo don't really come here anymore.

Go over to getsatisfaction.com and see official reps replying to questions issues with blanket "sorry to hear, send email to xxxx@xxxxx.com and someone will be in contact". It's fine to say people are busy, but why waste time on generic useless replies on one site yet completely ignore a very active forum elsewhere???

Now aside of this, get the damn marketing people over here. There is a thread dedicated to firmware request features, and numerous threads of what people want,what they don't like, a whole damn sub-forum of "which device to buy". We have people of varying origins/ages/sexes. This is 'free' information that no survey monkey could ever produce given all the money in the world.

Eh *hops off high horse and walks home*
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #188
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
I do know a bit about what's going on internally, obviously not up for discussion, but what I can say is that one of Kobo's motto's is about Kobo speed, and how we strive to do things at an incredible pace, and part of that means serious amounts of work, and things that are not absolutely critical to that tend to fall slightly by the wayside, to the point of not being able to say even that.
Translation: Getting new tech out the door is more important than making existing customers happy with their purchases, and more important than convincing potential customers that a Kobo is what they want.

It's not a bad thing for a tech company to be focused more on tech than on consumer reactions. It's annoying when they volunteer to address consumer reactions and then vanish, but it's not like anyone's confused when it happens.

Quote:
I'm certainly going to be somewhat quiet for the next few weeks, as there are a few things coming to a head that will need my strict attention, and so anything outside of that, and my family, will simply have to wait.
Ooh, nice dodge!

That's not sarcasm; as a veteran of internet flamewars, that's one of the smoothest "I don't have time for this drama" exits I've ever seen.

AFAIK, nobody's actively angry at Kobo over this thread. We're just... watching. We understand that BB forums aren't everyone's forte, and if someone doesn't click with the communication style here, they're not going to stick around to answer questions, much less just converse. We know that the constraints of not telling anyone about future developments can be a hassle to work around. We know that employees don't want to say anything that can be taken as "I guarantee this will fix your problem," and they don't want to say "we decided that problem wasn't worth fixing."

Doing PR on a forum that does extensive critiques is hard. If Mobileread isn't worth Kobo's effort to walk that tightrope, we will understand.

And critique the decision. Because that's what we do here.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #189
ns_angela
ns_angela began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
just to kick in and say I had an Arc update yesterday and don't like it at all. Much preferred all my icons/notifications along the bottom and larger as they were. Now that stuff and the clock are sooo tiny along the top. Seems like I'm using my phone now..it handles in the same way pretty much. Personally I preferred pre-update...
ns_angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #190
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_angela View Post
just to kick in and say I had an Arc update yesterday and don't like it at all. Much preferred all my icons/notifications along the bottom and larger as they were. Now that stuff and the clock are sooo tiny along the top. Seems like I'm using my phone now..it handles in the same way pretty much. Personally I preferred pre-update...
I'm sorry you feel that way. We wanted to make the Jelly Bean experience out side of tapestries as Android as possible.
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #191
ibabob
ibabob began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc
Quote:
I agree that since Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) I do not like the direction Google took by making the look uniform for phones and tablets. It seems like they did not consider that the ergonomics of the tablet don't go well with the placement of the controls... seems like they went like Apple and just made tablets look like big phones.

But the new update on the Arc is nice and smooth, the only things I don't like about it are Jelly Bean's fault, not Kobo's, so good job
ibabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #192
Alan_C
Alan_C began at the beginning.

New Android JB 4.1 update

Quote:
Yeah, I kind of agree - the tiny icons along the top take up another bit of space from the screen - they are so tiny that I can hardly read the clock and the temperature - and the buttons left at the bottom have got larger to fill the space there. And it is rather difficult now to access the notifications, have to drag down instead of just touch... and is it me or have I lost a little bit more screen with the introduction of a black border down each side?

Don't like the new settings pane, the old one with two columns was much better for getting at the info fast.

But I guess it isn't Kobo's fault, and on the plus side BBC iPlayer with Media Player now works, at long last!

Does anyone know where there's a list of changes implemented by this update?
Alan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #193
AlmightyTritan
AlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura about

Well if some one where to find a method of rooting the Kobo Arc you could potentially get a custom ROM with Tablet Layout and or other ergonomic tweaks, but this would also require it didn't have a locked bootloader.
AlmightyTritan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #194
Alan_C
Alan_C began at the beginning.

Question about downloading DRM books

OK, I've done it before but not, I suspect in the easiest way.

How do you download library books (protected by Adobe DRM) to the Arc?

To select and borrow the books, I have to log on to a website and select them, then use Adobe Digital Editions to download them to my pc. I can't download them straight to the Arc using the browser. Is there an app which would be able to download them from the website?

Then, when they're on my pc and listed in Adobe Digital Editions, how do I get them transferred to the Arc?

I can't remember how I achieved this before (!) but I'd like to hear how people think it ought to be done!

Alan
Alan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #195
islandgirl
islandgirl began at the beginning.

Alan...on your Arc download Overdrive Media console...free from google play apps. You can download any library book in epub format directly to Overdrive and read it in Overdrive on your Arc. Hope this helps.
islandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc