Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
mphuie
mphuie began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770
Simple browser scripting for content?

As a automated way to get content for my e-reader, I'd like to be at a page, be able to click a scriptlet/bookmarklet (whatever you call it), and have the browser save the page and send it a processing script (rip out html, convert, copy/email, etc..).

I've noticed that for a lot of long articles that I don't have time to read, it'd be nice to have a 'a one click send to e-reader' function for later reading.

This sounds easy to do, but does anyone know how I can do it? It should be as easy as saving the rendered HTML to a temporary file then calling a command line script with the path as the parameter. Preferably in firefox, but any browser will do.

FWIW, I have a Mac program called yflicks has this functionality (navigate to a youtube page and click a scriptlet->download the movie), so I'm pretty sure sure its possible.

Last edited by mphuie; 01-29-2008 at 06:51 PM.
mphuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
GreaseMonkey maybe? Not sure if you can do disk writing and call programs from it though.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
google it someone set up an automator script to integrate libprs500 with safari a while back.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote