Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #1
johngreen99
johngreen99 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sleep/a4

Hello, I am thinking of buying an Iliad but was shocked to here there was no sleep mode and it took 45 seconds to startup! Is sleep mode an option in the future? Also any comments on a4 pdfs on the iLiad would be great! Thanks alot.
johngreen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:53 AM   #2
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Slow start:

No sleep mode and the 45 secs start was something that I thought about a fair bit before buying. It made me think more carefully about how I want to use this device and why I want to buy it. I decided in the end that I should not be thinking of this as being a PDA, but as an addition to my computing equipment, something for reading at length that is kind on my eyes and something that will allow me to makes notes on what I read.

Also, it should run for 10+ hours on a full charge so it is also possible to turn it on in the morning and leave it on all day. If you also have the charger by your desk during the day (assuming that's how you work) you can also plug it in and leave it in and have it charging when you are not reading. That's what I do, so I've side-stepped the start up time.

A4:

If you rotate the page and zoom in a little you can usually get to around 90% of the natural size of an A4 page (but only half a page at a time). Using continuous mode the flip bar takes you down roughly half a page at at time, so this works well for single-column A4 docs.

Try getting a piece of cardboard and cutting out a window that is about 124mmx164mm. Then print something out at about 90% full size and view it through your cardboard iliad to see what it is like to read. Bear in mind that the "print" quality/resolution is very good (better than I usually get from our office laserjet) and that the background is a colour that is almost but not entirely unlike white (the sort of grey you get when you mix up your white and coloured clothes in the washing machine).

If you have multi-column docs (like journal articles, Guardian/Telegraph PDF newspapers, etc) you can zoom in and pan around. You having several options for panning/moving around, including dragging the page with the pen, and a modified version of the PDF viewer that is aware of columns of text and follows then (mostly correctly, and it is easy to correct with the pen if it gets lost). Try reading something at full size, portrait view with your cardboard iliad.

And if your eyes are reasonably strong it is possible to read a whole page. As a test try printing on a very high resolution printer and shrink to around 45%. Then put your cardboard iliad over it.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Quote:
As a test try printing on a very high resolution printer and shrink to around 45%
Resolution makes a difference: iLiads Resolution is not as high as a laser printer. The lower resolution makes it difficult to read very tiny letters. But there are very good possibilities on iLiad like rotate and zoom...

Gogolo
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'd say the contrast is similar to newsprint.

Sometimes I wish the startup was faster, as when I want to make a quick note. I use mine as a notebook a lot, and I try to remember to turn it on a while before I'm going to need it. When I was at a conference last fall, I kept it on all day, and even with heavy use of the Wacom pen input, the batteries lasted 8+ hours each day.

I also kind of wish it had onboard HWR, at least to index and search my notes. Maybe someday.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote