Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
kimkindle
kimkindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Kindle 3.3 - Backup

Hi folks,

just got my new Kindle WiFi (Ver. 3.3) and I totally love it, but of course I'm about to enhance it / 'break free'.

But just before I break anything, I'ld like to do a _complete_ OS backup.

So far I found these commands:

<code>
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0_7688.dmp bs=512 count=7688
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.dmp
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p2.dmp
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p3 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p3.dmp
</code>

Could they be run with '~exec dd if...'? ..._without_ jailbreaking first?

<edit>Nope! -- not sure if dd is even part of kindles original busybox!?</edit>

And what about this password-protected 'Restore Menu' I heard of? Any information on this topic is welcome!

2nd question - found '~usbNetwork' command on my kindle. Is it part of the original Kindle software? What's the difference to the usbNetwork-hack and does it take any parameters, or does it simply toggle usbNetwork?

Many thanks for Your help

Kim

Last edited by kimkindle; 02-09-2012 at 11:39 PM.
kimkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimkindle View Post
Hi folks,

just got my new Kindle WiFi (Ver. 3.3) and I totally love it, but of course I'm about to enhance it / 'break free'.

But just before I break anything, I'ld like to do a _complete_ OS backup.

So far I found these commands:

<code>
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0_7688.dmp bs=512 count=7688
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.dmp
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p2.dmp
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p3 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p3.dmp
</code>

Could they be run with '~exec dd if...'? ..._without_ jailbreaking first?

<edit>Nope! -- not sure if dd is even part of kindles original busybox!?</edit>

And what about this password-protected 'Restore Menu' I heard of? Any information on this topic is welcome!

2nd question - found '~usbNetwork' command on my kindle. Is it part of the original Kindle software? What's the difference to the usbNetwork-hack and does it take any parameters, or does it simply toggle usbNetwork?

Many thanks for Your help

Kim
I'm afraid you will have to first install the Jailbreak hack, and then the usbNetwork hack to even be able to back it up. But if you do those exactly as supposed to, you can easily undo those and have the Kindle back to factory reset if need be (and after uninstalling all you did after backing it up, of course).

'dd' is a Linux command, and since this is a linux kernel / operating system, that is why it is on the Kindle.

I am unsure about the 'Restore Menu' password-protected thing.

And that '~usbNetwork command already on your Kindle is merely a shortcut to toggle the feature, but only if you have already installed usbNetwork hack.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert