Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
vevel
vevel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard, android phone, PC
Alternative to Amazon/Kindle personal document service?

I currently have an Amazon Kindle (the keyboard version). One of the great things about it is that I can mail documents to the @kindle address, and get the content delivered to my e-reader. Also nice is the fact that there are some browser plugins and apps (Later On Kindle, Kindle It/Push to Kindle, etc.), that let me send web pages (including technical articles, rss content, etc.) to the Kindle for reading.
Now, that being said, there have been some great sales this December on various e-readers not made by Amazon. I've thought of picking up another e-reader for work (so I can occasionally take a break from the computer screen).
Are there other vendors that have similar services? Would I have to use something like Evernote or Calibre and so on to get formatted devices to a non-Amazon reader?
Thoughts and comments appreciated. Thanks!
vevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I believe that there is no alternative. With those other readers, you have to sideload content by wiring the eReader to PC or Mac.

To confirm this, I googled:

"Send to Kindle"

and then:

"Send to Nook"

and then:

"Send to Sony Reader"

and then:

"Send to Kobo"

and then:

"Send to iRiver"

It's evident that only Amazon has the feature. You'd think that with their massive server farm, Google would have done it for the iRiver Story, but, as far as I can tell, they have not.

I feel need to wire-connect my Kindle to my PC at least a few times a week anyway, for reasons that can be discerned from my web site noted below. It's hard to say how much harder the Nook would be for me to use without spending time to figure out how to get past the lack of an email address.
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Not sure if this helps, but I use Instapaper to send articles to my devices. I have a Kindle 3G that Instapaper will send documents to on a schedule(or right away if you go to the site and tell it to) and it also works my other devices. These being an iPod Touch and a netbook. Instapaper can also send stuff to other services like Evernote.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote