Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Lost Collections on K3

I've had my K3 for about 6 months. Was reading this evening and all of a sudden my page turns became slow. Well, not s-l-o-w, but there is a noticable flash between each page turn. I mean I've had this thing for 6 months and read several hours a day, I can tell when the page turns look different, it's noticeable.

So I did a Restart...still slow page turns. So then I did a hard restart, holding the power button 20 seconds until it restarted....still slow page turns, only now all my Collections are gone!!

Called CS, they had me do another hard restart...still same thing. No Collections, still slow page turns.

Anybody help?

ETA: CS just called me back. She said the only thing she could tell me to do is a Factory Reset. I told her I think I'll wait until tomorrow and call back and talk to someone in the United States.

Last edited by PG4003; 05-24-2011 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Add additional info
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
De-register and then re-register the Kindle. Your collections should re-appear.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, they did! Thanks so much.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Curious - are the page turns fixed, too, or still slow?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
PG4003
Addict

Well, last night I had almost a fully charged battery and when I got up this morning it was almost dead, and the WiFi had not been on all night. So I checked, I had 10 books that were not yet indexed. I deleted those and re-downloaded them, and it seems to be doing better.

Now I'm feeling paranoid about it, I feel like since I'm specifically watching the page turns, it seems slower, but I'm beginning to doubt myself. I wish I knew someone with a K3 nearby so I could compare mine. For now I'm just gonna live with it.
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
It does smell like an indexing problem to me. Did it suddenly decide to re-index all your books by any chance?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Patricia -- how many books do you keep on your Kindle? I've noticed a slow down if I keep all my books on it, so I've cut back substatially. (I think I've only got about 200 on their right now.) All the rest are in Calibre, and I'm using Calibre to manage and edit Collections (with the Collections plugin).

One thing about using Calibre for this, is that you don't much care if you lose what's on the Kindle, since it's trivial to re-create from the Calibre database.

Also, getting low on battery (which it sounds like happened) can be an issue. (And IME, the Kindle isn't all that good about showing current battery level. ) But I suspect that abookreader might be right about indexing being the issue.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
PG4003
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
It does smell like an indexing problem to me. Did it suddenly decide to re-index all your books by any chance?
I have no idea about that. I just know that when I did the deregister and then re-registered, there were 10 books that were not indexed.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
PG4003
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Patricia -- how many books do you keep on your Kindle? I've noticed a slow down if I keep all my books on it, so I've cut back substatially. (I think I've only got about 200 on their right now.) All the rest are in Calibre, and I'm using Calibre to manage and edit Collections (with the Collections plugin).

One thing about using Calibre for this, is that you don't much care if you lose what's on the Kindle, since it's trivial to re-create from the Calibre database.

Also, getting low on battery (which it sounds like happened) can be an issue. (And IME, the Kindle isn't all that good about showing current battery level. ) But I suspect that abookreader might be right about indexing being the issue.
I have about 450 books on my Kindle. Do you consider that a large number? I know it's advertised to hold 3500, so it seems like 450 should be just a drop in the bucket. I do have Calibre on my computer, but I don't make use of it like I should. I mostly use it to change the data on my books that are in a series, so I know what order to read them in. Sometimes it seems I spend a lot of time organizing ebooks, it took me forever to get them all into Goodreads, and then note which ones are Lendable. But I think I'm definitely going to look at putting more of them in Calibre, specifically the free ones, that frankly if I'm honest with myself, I don't know when I'll get around to reading. I have about 175 of those alone on my Kindle.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Getting everything into Calibre and organized, etc. is a bit of work. And sometimes it seems like you're organizing books rather than reading. But having them all in Calibre sure makes it easier in the long run.

I've moved to a "workflow" where I download books to Kindle4PC or ADE first, then add to Calibre, and sideload onto the Kindle. The only exception are books that I buy directly from the Kindle, the impulse buys. I try to keep those to a minimum, and stick to planned buying. But if I do grab one directly onto the Kindle, I pull it back into Calibre the next time I connect up to my laptop or desktop. This lets me change the on Kindle title to one that includes the series name/number, and also set the Collections at that point. Oh, and cleans the DRM at the same time of course.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote