Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Is the Adam now vaporware?

With no updates on their site or blog (or anywhere else that I can find for that matter), has the Adam moved from interesting tablet contender to vaporware?

This is the one I was most interested in and looking forward to actually trying out. I guess if this one falls by the wayside all my hopes will rest with the Google tablet.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Afaik, never been anything else...
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Hard to say. Last announcement was that it was delayed. But I'd say not hearing anything since doesn't bode well.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

I tend towards cynicism when small companies say they can get hardware based on new chipsets out before the major companies by more than a few weeks.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Hard to say. Last announcement was that it was delayed. But I'd say not hearing anything since doesn't bode well.
Waitaminit! The Adam most certainly DID exist! *I* owned one back in the mid-80s! Was the most powerful piece of crap Z80-based CP/M home computer ever created by Coleco!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:46 AM   #6
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Waitaminit! The Adam most certainly DID exist! *I* owned one back in the mid-80s! Was the most powerful piece of crap Z80-based CP/M home computer ever created by Coleco!

Derek
I owned an Adam also. One propblem I had was that my brother would take my data cassettes and record music over them.

The Adam was quirky, but fun.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My guess is that the screens are pretty costly so companies are reluctant to put out devices with them right now as readers would probably cost more than the cheapest e-ink devices and tablets more than the low end iPad etc.

And thus they wouldn't be very competitive devices in the mainstream.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
My guess is that the screens are pretty costly so companies are reluctant to put out devices with them right now as readers would probably cost more than the cheapest e-ink devices and tablets more than the low end iPad etc.

In February, Notion Ink was expecting a $329 starting price point. In April they said they want to wait for a couple of months of testing after they get flash working on Android before releasing it. With Android 2.2 already being rolled out, there may be an update soon.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I am currently in Seattle at SID Display week and just saw Mary Lou Jepson in the Qualcomm Booth. She was checking out the Mirasol Displays .

She was talking with a few other people so I didnt have a chance to speak with her directly but it sounded like Pixel Qi is ready for volume production.

So between that and Froyo it looks like everything is in place now for the Adam.

I'm going to try to catch up with her later today.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:

Mary Lou Jepsen, the Pixel Qi CEO, has said that there is very little price premium with the Pixel Qi screen since they can be built on existing production lines with existing technology. She said in one video on the net that she envisioned a Pixel Qi screened device at less than $200 ... the whole device, not just the screen. That may be overly optimistic but it certainly sounds like the screens should not be the culprit with any over-priced gadget.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard

Good to know. I figured they'd be even more pricey than e-ink screens, which are already very expensive compared to LCD etc. (i.e. the price of the Que with it's limited functions being purely a reader vs. the iPad).

If they are truly cheaper (like that $329 rumored price above) that could be a boon. Not a lot of people are going to pay the $700+ for the Que when they could get an iPad for $500. Even more so when some android and other tablets start rolling out at likely lower prices for not having the Apple tax.

But if we can get some Pixel QI devices that can both do more than just display monochrome text and cost less than an iPad, they have a chance to do pretty well I think.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 05-26-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
DawnFalcon
Banned

Very little *production* price difference. However, EPLaR means the same is true of existing technologies. PVI is using otherwise hopelessly outdated plants to produce their e-ink screens.

How the market prices them? Ha, get real.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
Mary Lou Jepsen, the Pixel Qi CEO, has said that there is very little price premium with the Pixel Qi screen since they can be built on existing production lines with existing technology. She said in one video on the net that she envisioned a Pixel Qi screened device at less than $200 ... the whole device, not just the screen.
She says lots of things, like any other salesman. Let me know when you can actually buy one, and what the real price is.

OLPC (when she was their CTO) made lots of promises about price as well, which never became reality.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Question

Quote:
OLPC (when she was their CTO) made lots of promises about price as well, which never became reality.
I had heard that she did an impressive job at OLPC.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
DawnFalcon
Banned

It depends how you define "impressive". OLPC sparked a round of low-cost classroom PC's, yes, but they themselves have supplied less than 5% of them, and the education philosophy they started pushing has been effectively abandoned.