Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #16
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok... for all you doubters...
There we go then. Of course, they could of cleaned this up weeks ago with a one-line announcement, heh.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #17
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
There we go then. Of course, they could of cleaned this up weeks ago with a one-line announcement, heh.
How could they do that before they had looked into the app and seen what it does?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #18
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Hm... "Yes, we will allow bookstore apps on the iPad"

Oh, logic, nm.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:30 PM   #19
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Quote:
Hm... "Yes, we will allow bookstore apps on the iPad"

Oh, logic, nm.
"yes we will allow VNC clients" "yes we will allow calculator apps" "yes we will allow email apps"

why would they make all those statements? all of those apps were allowed on iPhone and many did the same as core apps, Apple never hinted or stated taht they wouldnt and most people who havent declared Apple the next big bad believed it would be available and they were right.

Should they respond to rumour and scaremongering by uninformed bloggers and forum members? of course not.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
DawnFalcon
Banned

There wasn't a major question mark over allowing those apps on the iPad, as you fullwell know. You are simply making excuses for them for their sloppy handling of a PR situation they could of cleaned up very easily.

And I see, the devs of least one major reading app which hasn't had any iPad work done because the devs were simply not prepared to waste work if it wasn't allowed on the iPad are now uninformed bloggers and forum members, right. I'll tell them so!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #21
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
There wasn't a major question mark over allowing those apps on the iPad, as you fullwell know. You are simply making excuses for them for their sloppy handling of a PR situation they could of cleaned up very easily.

And I see, the devs of least one major reading app which hasn't had any iPad work done because the devs were simply not prepared to waste work if it wasn't allowed on the iPad are now uninformed bloggers and forum members, right. I'll tell them so!
NO im not im explaining that there was never any doubt that it would be allowed apart from amongst bloggers and on forums!

I certainly never dobted it and neither did many others on here.

No they are devs and as such i would hope they would email Apple and ask if their app would be allowed! Im not suggesting they would get an answer but Appleresponding to a devs question makes much more sense than them doing a press released based on forum and blog rumours.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
DawnFalcon
Banned

"i would hope they would email Apple and ask if their app would be allowed"

As I've said before: Apple DO NOT ANSWER those questions. Period. They refused to do so for Electronic Arts, for instance, and they're pretty darn big so it's not a matter of size...
Old 04-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #23
stustaff
Wizard

Quote:
"i would hope they would email Apple and ask if their app would be allowed"

As I've said before: Apple DO NOT ANSWER those questions. Period. They refused to do so for Electronic Arts, for instance, and they're pretty darn big so it's not a matter of size...

I know my whole quote was "i would hope they would email Apple and ask if their app would be allowed! Im not suggesting they would get an answer"

however we werent talking about devs you said apple should have done a press release to say they would allow book apps. Im saying they didnt need to as there was never any actual reason to think they would!

so they cant release a press release everytime people on blogs or forums worry about something.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #24
DawnFalcon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Im saying they didnt need to as there was never any actual reason to think they would!
I think you need to check that sentence for sense.

But once more, it was literally impossible to call given the highly, highly inconsistent policy on app submissions and it was a perfectly legitimate issue which Apple chose not to address pre-launch.

I also have a response from the devs of the reader app in question: "Apple do what the hell they want, and we're tired of wasting time on stuff they veto. So heck yes we've been waiting until we saw reader apps were allowed some of the apps on before we started to work on an iPad version. In other news, the Android version is coming along nicely, and that's coming first".

But no, they are of course worriers on blogs and forums. Or maybe, just maybe, they devs.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #25
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
I do wonder why anyone would now buy a book from Apple given that with the Kindle app you can read on multiple devices.
At the moment, I wouldn't, but I'd rather buy an ePub from Apple that I can rip the DRM from than an inferior Mobipocket file from Amazon.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #26
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I guess it was to much to expect "gee, I guess I was wrong about Apple banning other book apps"

But -- you were...wrong

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #27
DawnFalcon
Banned

Who's that aimed at? Because, you know, if it was aimed at me? I said "We don't know"

Anything else is simple misthinking on your part.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #28
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I'll freely and happily admit I didn't think this would happen. It certainly doesn't go with the model they followed on the iPod or iPhone. (Where's the app for purchasing from the Amazon MP3 store?) The move makes sense from the standpoint of wanting to get as many books as quickly as possible on the iPad, but it's counter-intuitive if you were looking at their music distribution as a model.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #29
d2photo
d2photo began at the beginning.

Device: iphone/software readers
OK, this is the first chance I have had to reply to this post since I received my iPad yesterday. BN Hope they get their app approved soon. So I have yet another source for books. I will be downloading the Kobo app - (forgot is was available)

As far as the Amazon app. VERY nice app. downloaded my existing content and am very happy with the viewing experience. Have been reading books and using the device for the past 8 hours with no eye fatigue. For those of you complaining about the backlight /reading books issue (non, in my opinion) there wasn't one. We stare at screens all day long and that is a fact of life. The quality of the screen however will change or affect your value/hindrance to enjoy your content.

One thing I would love to see and will change how or if I am to keep my physical Kindle.

Subscriptions. As far as I can tell I will not be able to transfer my existing subscriptions through amazon to a non kindle device. (readers digest, the new yorker, onion, one story) those are pubs that I read every month and would like to be able to continue, just on another device.

Now that being said, there is a way to "download to computer" for offline viewing. This does not negate the fact that there is no way to transfer the files to the pad for consumption afterward.
d2photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #30
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2photo View Post
Subscriptions. As far as I can tell I will not be able to transfer my existing subscriptions through amazon to a non kindle device. (readers digest, the new yorker, onion, one story) those are pubs that I read every month and would like to be able to continue, just on another device.
Amazon's site is pretty clear that subscriptions are for a specific device, not a specific account.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote