Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #31
Bleuwhale
Bleuwhale began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Digital Reader PRS-700
Hi.

I had the SAME Problem - jsut that mine froze with the words "Starting Up"... I JUST got my Reader today.

I had tried to shut the reader down, and attempted a reset of the machine - nothing worked.

However, pressing the Reset, and then, sliding the power buttone twice -as someone else had earlier suggested- worked for me.

Sorry that I cant offer any more... so ..maybe, try it again ?
Bleuwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #32
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
On the PRS-505, there is an option under Advanced Settings called "Format Internal Memory."
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #33
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
On the PRS-505, there is an option under Advanced Settings called "Format Internal Memory."
Sorry, I'm an idiot--I forgot your screen was frozen.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #34
grahamH
grahamH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 700
LOL Seabound !

Thank you though.

I have decided to wrap and post it back to a friend in the USA.
Think I had gone as far as i could with it.
Next step would have been to throw it at a wall and see how it read that.

Thank you each and all for your help.

Graham
grahamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 AM   #35
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'm so sorry you weren't able to fix it. maybe you got a faulty unit though. probably best to try to exchange it in that case. hopefully, the next one will give you no trouble at all. it really is a brilliant machine, i'm sure you'll (eventually) get lots of pleasure from it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #36
Candace
Candace began at the beginning.

Device: prs 700
Unhappy Same issue

I seem to having the same issue. I got my prs 700 this morning and it has been charging for 10 hours. The light is amber and is solid yet I cannot turn it on or off. When I hit the hard reset, nothing happens. The front screen reads "Reader Digital Book by Sony
Enjoy the new revolution in reading
Starting up......
The light doesn't work and I cant see anything except the opening screen no matter what I do. Holding down the power button won't shut it down either.

Suggestions?
Candace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:14 PM   #37
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
How have you been charging it?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #38
ooo
Enthusiast
ooo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Sometimes you just have to keep pressing on the reset button. My reader freezes up, well it's stuck on "loading" numerous times. I send in a really large PDF with lots of links and it can't do those well. I end up holding the power and using the unscrewed stylus to poke at the reset. Eventually it does the trick. Can't say it's very easy. I wish we could just pull out a battery.
ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #39
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This just might be useful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #40
ddave
Enthusiast
ddave began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just bought a Sony PRS-700 and I've been having similar, though not as extreme, issues. It looks to me like it's a battery or electronic problem. When I first charged it, I had to have it charging for 5 hours and then overnight. After the 5 hour charge, from a wall charger, the screen was frozen. But, the red light was on supposedly indicating that it was charging. I then plugged it into my laptop USB overnight and it seemed to work OK.

However, I noticed after a couple days that the battery meter was showing that it already needed to be charged. I had only turned 20 or 30 pages, way way below their quote of 7000 page turns. So, I plugged it in and charged it up again. But, again, after 2-3 days the battery meter indicated it could be charged again. This time I had only read a few pages. It seemed to me that the battery has a high discharge rate (maybe due to a leakage current?).

Now at home, I plugged it into my home desktop USB port overnight. This time, when I turned it on in the morning, the battery meter was lower than the night before.

I'm concerned that the battery is bad. I plan to call Sony about this later today.

ddave
ddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #41
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This phenomenon was noted by new users of the PRS500 and 505. It takes a few cycles before the battery meter calibrates accurately. Also the device is not fully charged when you buy it.

I found (with both my 500 and my 505) that it was useful to let the battery drain to nearly empty, then to recharge it for a long time, preferably using the mains charger overnight. After a couple of charges both devices behaved perfectly.

It is possible that the same holds true of the 700.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #42
timestocome
timestocome began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I had a similar problem, the hd was munged.

In OSX I just used DiskUtility to reformat the internal HD ( Use FAT )

Once the reader came back up I used the Sony reformat just to be sure.

That fixes frozen screens when the reset button doesn't work.
timestocome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #43
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave View Post
Now at home, I plugged it into my home desktop USB port overnight. This time, when I turned it on in the morning, the battery meter was lower than the night before.
You say "overnight"... make sure your computer doesn't go to sleep or turn off while the Reader is connected - that will make the battery discharge.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #44
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Sometimes the readers get so low that a computer charge will not work anymore. The solution is to use a PSP power charger or Sony's ridiculously expensive "Reader wall charger"
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #45
ddave
Enthusiast
ddave began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Igorsk, last night, while rereading the quick start guide, I learned that the battery will discharge if plugged in to a USB and the computer goes to sleep. A common event with computers today. And, your right, Sony's Reader wall charger is rediculously expensive.

I also have a Belkin travel plugin strip that has 2 USB connectors on the end. Unless there's some communication required to charge the Reader, will these charge the battery?

Alternatively, maybe the iGo power tip for the Sony PSP (tip # A54) might allow the wall charger to plug into the 5.2 volt input?

ddave
ddave is offline   Reply With Quote