Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #1951
seabream
Enthusiast
seabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1, RIM Playbook & Z10, Samsung Note, MacOSX
@Amalthia Another option rather than having FFDL delete previous formats is to restore the original format (select the work, open the Edit Metadata window, right click on the formats section, select "Restore EPUB from original", or if you have the Book Details sidebar showing, right-click ORIGINAL_EPUB and select "Restore the ORIGINAL_EPUB format") before updating, and then polish after updating. Depending on what you're doing with Polish Books, this may be preferable because you aren't layering multiple polishes on the earlier parts each time you update the story.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #1952
seabream
Enthusiast
seabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1, RIM Playbook & Z10, Samsung Note, MacOSX
A Question of Tag ordering, mostly for AO3

Does anyone know a way to preserve the ordering of the Character, Relationship, and Freeform Tags from AO3 when doing an FFDL download? Some people use the convention where more central characters and relationships get listed first, supporting characters and relationships second, but they get alphabetised by the time they go into the columns. Likewise, some Freeform Tag strings are meant to be read in order, but appear alphabetised on the titlepage, logpage, and columns. I have looked, but if there's a setting I can toggle for them individually or something like that, I missed it. I can save the epub from the site and transfer the AO3 titlepage (which uses the site ordering) into the FFDL epub, but that's pretty cumbersome. Likewise, I can create a long text field to manually copy the information into, but again, cumbersome.

In reply to the upthread question/discussion when someone asked about what other people do with AO3 tags: I prefer to preserve as much information as practical in its original form (because what forms and conventions people use also communicates something about what communities they come from and what type of story this is likely to be), while maintaining a separate listing for searchability. So while I preserve all the AO3 freeform tags, and sometimes the original form of character and relationship tags, in custom columns for that purpose, I standardise and cull them for the main Tags column and for my hierarchical-by-fandom character and relationship custom columns. I rarely preserve the non-standard fandom markers (for instance, some pairings themselves are considered fandoms if they get big enough in a given community of writers, particularly if they are crossovers of different original works) because I'm trying to limit column numbers and they don't come up often enough in the works I read.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #1953
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabream View Post
@Amalthia Another option rather than having FFDL delete previous formats is to restore the original format (select the work, open the Edit Metadata window, right click on the formats section, select "Restore EPUB from original", or if you have the Book Details sidebar showing, right-click ORIGINAL_EPUB and select "Restore the ORIGINAL_EPUB format") before updating, and then polish after updating. Depending on what you're doing with Polish Books, this may be preferable because you aren't layering multiple polishes on the earlier parts each time you update the story.
I think what will be easier in the future is to not add a cover until the story is completed. But this is a good solution for the books that already have covers. Thank you.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #1954
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabream View Post
Does anyone know a way to preserve the ordering of the Character, Relationship, and Freeform Tags from AO3 when doing an FFDL download?
There isn't at present. However, it should be easy to add an ini config parameter to prevent sorting.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:46 PM   #1955
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
There isn't at present. However, it should be easy to add an ini config parameter to prevent sorting.
So easy, in fact, that I already did it and then forgot about it.

For each metadata X that you want to keep in original order, add a parameter to your ini keep_in_order_X: true. So, for example, you might do:

Code:
[defaults]
keep_in_order_characters:true
keep_in_order_ships:true
keep_in_order_category:true
keep_in_order_freefromtags:true
et cetera
Old 10-10-2013, 12:00 AM   #1956
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

The attached version puts all of it's debug output through a logger instead of printing it directly. This is an attempt to fix an issue unique to Mac users.

UPDATE Oct 11, 2013 - Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-11-2013 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 10-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #1957
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Quote:
So easy, in fact, that I already did it and then forgot about it.

For each metadata X that you want to keep in original order, add a parameter to your ini keep_in_order_X: true. So, for example, you might do:

Code:
[defaults]
keep_in_order_characters:true
keep_in_order_ships:true
keep_in_order_category:true
keep_in_order_freefromtags:true
et cetera
Thank you Jimm! This should help make my life easier sorting those messy tags! However I just tried the additional parameters you provided above when updating a story, using update Calibre metadata only, then Overwrite, but it didn't work-- tags are still all alphabetically sorted.

Does it only take effect on a new story? Or should I place the additions under the section for AO3 settings and not defaults? What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Sefiriot; 10-10-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #1958
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Looks like there's 2752 total stores (2252 for Twilight) and there are a lot of recent postings. I haven't made an exhaustive search, but I have found evidence that the site's been around since 2008, maybe 2007.
And it's gone up another ~10% since then. And a bunch more when you count 18+.

Attached is a version of FFDL with preliminary support for fictionpad.com.

It's not quite complete, but it's mostly there. Specifically:
  • 18+ rated fics don't work yet.
  • fictionpad.com doesn't seem to have separate Published and Updated dates - The one date that is given is being used as Updated and Published is being left empty.
  • The Get Story URLs from Web Page feature doesn't work with fictionpad.com author lists. It may never work.
  • No Series support. If fictionpad.com uses series, I haven't seen any.

Give it a try, let me know what you think.

UPDATE Oct 11, 2013 Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-11-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 10-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #1959
FFreader920
FFreader920 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nook STR w Glowlight
Talking Thank you!

Great! Yes, a recent surge in deleting stories on FFNET has has led to many writers moving their stories elsewhere. FictionPad has made it super easy for folks to import their stories.

Quote:
Hmmm. That's a very interesting way to build a site. It's certainly not another cookie-cutter eFiction site.

Looks like there's 2752 total stores (2252 for Twilight) and there are a lot of recent postings. I haven't made an exhaustive search, but I have found evidence that the site's been around since 2008, maybe 2007.

No promises, but I'll probably give a try.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #1960
BaconButty
Connoisseur
BaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 & iPad Mini & Galaxy Tab10
Quote:
Attached is a version of FFDL with preliminary support for fictionpad.com.

It's not quite complete, but it's mostly there. Specifically:
  • 18+ rated fics don't work yet.
  • fictionpad.com doesn't seem to have separate Published and Updated dates - The one date that is given is being used as Updated and Published is being left empty.
  • The Get Story URLs from Web Page feature doesn't work with fictionpad.com author lists. It may never work.
  • No Series support. If fictionpad.com uses series, I haven't seen any.

Give it a try, let me know what you think.
Hi JimmXinu
I've installed and tried to download this 16+ one-shot fic
https://fictionpad.com/author/Artemi...re-My-Sunshine

At first everything appears to work: fetching; downloading; FFDL donwload complete (log below)
Status
Title
Author
Comment
URL
Add
You Are My Sunshine
ArtemisLeaena
Download epub completed, 1 chapters.
https://fictionpad.com/author/Artemi...a/stories/5630

but there is no fic listed in Calibre when the download is completed.

I use "marked:ffdl_success" and the list is empty.
There is no new fic showing in Calibre when I sort by date modified either.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #1961
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconButty View Post
I've installed and tried to download this 16+ one-shot fic https://fictionpad.com/author/Artemi...re-My-Sunshine

At first everything appears to work: fetching; downloading; FFDL donwload complete (log below)
but there is no fic listed in Calibre when the download is completed.
Oops. I took out the Published Date at the last minute and apparently didn't test it properly.

This version sets both Published and Updated dates to the one date that's given.

UPDATE Oct 11, 2013 - Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-11-2013 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #1962
KayLee
Zealot
KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KayLee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST & iPad Air2
Quote:
Downloaded fine for me.

Remember, fictionpress.com is by the same people as fanfiction.net--both sides are now significantly slower to download. A fifty chapter story like that will take a minimum of 4 minutes.

Oh okay thanks I usually download a story in about a minute so when it when hit two+ minutes I freaked out!
Old 10-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #1963
BaconButty
Connoisseur
BaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Oops. I took out the Published Date at the last minute and apparently didn't test it properly.

This version sets both Published and Updated dates to the one date that's given.
That's much better, thank you!

It works fine.

I'll be happy to use it as soon as all rated fics are recognised!

Last edited by BaconButty; 10-11-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #1964
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

fictionpad.com adapter now with user/pass support for 18+ rated stories.

Also, due to the new Mark Book feature of calibre showing marked books so prominently, I've added an option to turn off marking new/updated/failed books. It was bugging me.

If there are no problems reported with this version, I'll likely put out a new release this weekend.

UPDATE Oct 13, 2013 - Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 10-13-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 10-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #1965
BaconButty
Connoisseur

Quote:
fictionpad.com adapter now with user/pass support for 18+ rated stories.

Also, due to the new Mark Book feature of calibre showing marked books so prominently, I've added an option to turn off marking new/updated/failed books. It was bugging me.

If there are no problems reported with this version, I'll likely put out a new release this weekend.

3 fics rated 18+ downloaded without any problem.
This works fine for me.

Great job, thank you.
Closed Thread