Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #61
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
First on my list has to be Harry Potter. I've read The Hunger Games but meh, wouldn't reread it. I'm currently reading the Fablehaven series and I really like it. I'm going to start the 5th book when I finish Half Blood Prince.

I have Game of Thrones but haven't read it yet. I have Lord of the Rings but haven't read it. Ever. That I can recall anyways. *gasp* I know. lol

I'm in the middle of reading Anne Rice's vampire series. I read the Mayfair witches on paper and loved them!

Oh! and Michael Scott's the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel series which I really loved. I enjoyed his mix of real life characters and events interwoven with his own story.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #62
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
^This as well as Harry Potter.

I am also enjoying:
  • The Black Dagger Brotherhood
  • The Hollows
  • The Southern Vampire (Sookie Stackhouse) series
  • The Percy Jackson series
The Honor Harrington series was up there until I flamed out twice trying to finish it.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #63
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Older/completed series:
  • Alexandre Dumas - The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later
  • J K Rowling - Harry Potter
  • Jonathan Stroud - The Bartimaeus Sequence
  • Elizabeth Peters - The Amelia Peabody series (I'm going to count this as completed, I think)

Current/ongoing series:
  • Derek Landy - Skulduggery Pleasant
  • Rick Riordan - Percy Jackson (Percy Jackson and the Olympians & The Heroes of Olympus)
  • Kalayna Price - the Alex Craft series
  • Ben Aaronovitch - the Rivers of London / Peter Grant series

There are several other current series I'm following, even up to and including pre-ordering each book as it becomes available, but I would hesitate to include them among favourites in the "really enjoy and have re-read / may end up re-reading" sense.

Dumas' The D'Artagnan Romances will always have a special place in my heart, being the books that defined my childhood and which I re-read multiple times while still in kindergarten, even though it's now a couple of years since my last re-read, while the Harry Potter books and, more recently, the Skulduggery Pleasant series are responsible for my utter immersion into fandom, gaining a number of good friends through fandom (several of whom have become "real life" friends), and are, basically, far more than just "books to read and enjoy and then move on to something else".
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #64
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Jacqueline Winspear (Maisie Dobbs)
Donna Leon (Brunetti series)
David Hewson (Nic Costa series)
Elizabeth Peters (Amelia series)
Robert Gott (William Power Mysteries)
Stella Rimington (Liz Carlyle)
Peter Klein (Punter)
Geoffrey McGeachin (Charlie Berlin)

Oh my, that's all I can remember at the moment, but I know there are more.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #65
mizzlia
mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mizzlia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook tablet 8gb, samsung galaxy tab 10.1 wifi 32gb
Alex Cross
Michael Bennett
The Womens Murder Club
They are all by James Patterson
mizzlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #66
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Flashman series by George McDonald-Fraser
Reacher series by Lee Child
Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #67
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Flashman series by George McDonald-Fraser
Reacher series by Lee Child
Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson
Bilbo1967, thanks for reminding me of F. Paul Wilson!
Time for a re-read I think, though unfortunately I only have them as paper books so I may have to use my glasses and my paper books do not glow in the dark .

Also, I just looked up the Lee Child and I think I will like the Jack Reacher books so thanks for the tip.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #68
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Harry Potter and Wallander.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #69
Nothingness
Zealot
Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nothingness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O Limited Edition
- Harry Potter by J K Rowling
- Game of Thrones (The Song of Ice and Fire) by George R. R. Martin
- The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan
- The Vampire Chronicles & The New Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice
- The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
- The Belgariad & Malloreans series by David Eddings (including Polgara and Belgarath)
- Dragonlance
- Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams
- His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
- The Rhapsody Trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon
- The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay
- The Farseer Trilogy & The Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb
- Tamír Triad by Lynn Flewelling
- Leïlan by Magali Ségura
- The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #70
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some more from me:

Boris Akunin (Erast Fandorin series)
Michael Bond (Monsieur Pamplemousse series)
Andrea Camillerie (Ispettore Montalbano series)
Kerry Greenwood (Phyrne Fisher series and Corinna Chapman series)
Martin Walker (Bruno Courreges series)
Edward Wilson (Bone)
Peter May (Lewis Trilogy)
Arnuldar Indridason ( Erlendur)
Catriona McPherson (Dandy Gilver)
Barbara Nadel (Inspector Ikmen)

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-14-2012 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Add last 3
Old 11-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #71
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Robert Rankin: Armageddon Trilogy
Robert Rankin: Brentford Triangle Trilogy
Dean Koontz: Odd Thomas
Jonathan Kellerman: Alex Delaware
Reginald Hill: Dalziel & Pascoe
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #72
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Martin Walker (Bruno Courreges series)
This is a great series. The fifth book was released in the UK in August and included ebook. It is due to be released in the US in July of 2013 in Hardback only, so far.
I did not want to wait almost a year () and bought the UK Kindle edition.
It was well worth buying. I recommend this series to anyone who likes the mystery genre.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #73
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Apache i borrowed each of the Courreges books from my local library - paper versions only. That's a long time to wait for the US edition of Devil's Cave to be released!

I really enjoy Walker's descriptions of the people and places and seasonal foods and wines. Also the provincial thinking he attributes to his characters.

When i find an author I like I tend to stick to them

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-15-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #74
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I agree. I bought the first one because of the recommendation of an MR member. Unfortunately I do not remember who or I would thank him or her.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #75
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
This is a great series. The fifth book was released in the UK in August and included ebook. It is due to be released in the US in July of 2013 in Hardback only, so far.
I did not want to wait almost a year () and bought the UK Kindle edition.
It was well worth buying. I recommend this series to anyone who likes the mystery genre.
Apache
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Apache i borrowed each of the Courreges books from my local library - paper versions only. That's a long time to wait for the US edition of Devil's Cave to be released!

I really enjoy Walker's descriptions of the people and places and seasonal foods and wines. Also the provincial thinking he attributes to his characters.

When i find an author I like I tend to stick to them
Thanks both for the recommendation. Now on my FictFact account to remind me to get round to it soon.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote