Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
kermodi
kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: PRS 505 and PRS - T1
Calibre not assigning icons to books

I lost all icons associated with ebooks, after formatting my machine.

I have since tried converting files - AND - opening files in the Calibre reader - and this has NOT assign an icon to the ebooks in the file. (usually .epub but also mobi and others).

How can I get Calibre to assign a file type icon to the ebooks files?

If this is a windows (vista) problem - how can I fix it?

Thanks!

Last edited by kermodi; 10-28-2012 at 07:58 PM.
kermodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermodi View Post
I lost all icons associated with ebooks, after formatting my machine.

I have since tried converting files - AND - opening files in the Calibre reader - and this has NOT assign an icon to the ebooks in the file. (usually .epub but also mobi and others).

How can I get Calibre to assign a file type icon to the ebooks files?

If this is a windows (vista) problem - how can I fix it?

Thanks!
Calibre only has 2 Icons: The Calibre (program) 'books' Icon and the Viewer, Brown Book Icon.
Any other icons were from other programs (file type associations).
You can assign ('Change Icon') any icon (present on your machine) to a specific filetype.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
kermodi
kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'kermodi knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Thank you for that ...

I had an icon for .epub books before that I was sure came from Calibre, but perhaps I'm mistaken and it was from another program. (It was a green E on a slight angle, I think).

There was also an icon for mobi and others.

I remember all the icons changing in the folder, when I opened a book in the Calibre reader.

Right now I've got the vista default icon on all formats of ebooks - (looks like a small white piece of paper).

Without seperate icons, it's sure not as easy to find what you need.

Anyway - Thanks again!

EDIT: How do I assign a certain icon to a certain file extension in Windows Vista?

Last edited by kermodi; 10-28-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for that ...

I had an icon for .epub books before that I was sure came from Calibre, but perhaps I'm mistaken and it was from another program. (It was a green E on a slight angle, I think).

There was also an icon for mobi and others.

I remember all the icons changing in the folder, when I opened a book in the Calibre reader.

Right now I've got the vista default icon on all formats of ebooks - (looks like a small white piece of paper).

Without seperate icons, it's sure not as easy to find what you need.

Anyway - Thanks again!

EDIT: How do I assign a certain icon to a certain file extension in Windows Vista?
I think I found the EPUB Icon somewhere here at MR

All WINDOWS versions use the same method (admin privileges needed on Vista, W7)
In the file browser,
Tools: Folder options: File Types (tab): <Select the type>

If you see a Restore button, some program is supplying the Icon: (note the program for later. Click Restore, the button now becomes 'Advanced'. Click it
See the change Icon Button? Navigate to a Program, DLL file and choose OR use a or ICO file
Old 10-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
kermodi

"Tools: Folder options: File Types (tab): <Select the type>"

This probably works for Windows 7 - unfortunately I'm stUck in the past on Vista - and there is no 'Tools' in Vista.

Last edited by kermodi; 10-28-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Advert
Old 10-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
"Tools: Folder options: File Types (tab): <Select the type>"

This probably works for Windows 7 - unfortunately I'm stUck in the past on Vista - and there is no 'Tools' in Vista.
you are correct. It only gets better with W8 :^)
Everything is hidden from the user (remember your 'Windows' keyboard shortcuts, you will need them )