Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #16
attemptress
Enthusiast
attemptress began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
A related question:

Assuming I will someday be able to get this to work. . . I was wondering. . . ought I to transfer the PE's file system to the card (and then, obviously, back it up) before attempting this again? I ask because the one application wierdism I noticed while my storage was swithced was that the library didn't know where my .pdfs were. If it is not necessary to transfer the file system first, what do I move where in order for the library to locate its files (or will I need to re-add them)?

Well, first things first, I suppose. Step 1: get it to work. Step 2: worry about the details.

-A.
attemptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
I've been scratching my head trying to figure this out.

The issue here is that you need to get Link2SD to recognize the second partition. In fact, your eDGe is actually not going to recognize the first partition without additional assistance. Therefore, I'm not entirely surprised that you are getting the error message about not recognizing the sdcard, but I am a little flabbergasted about why Link2SD isn't recognizing the second partition.

I've noticed there is another script file in the /etc directory. I'm not sure, but I think Android runs all the scripts in the /etc directory on boot. Make sure you got your sdcard partitions. Then, try dropping the install-recovery.sh file that I attached to a previous post into the /etc directory, restart, and see what happens.

As for the library, I'm assuming you'll be able to rebuild it on your /sdcard partition once you have everything setup.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
@kennyminot, how is your method different from this one?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=82

It looks much easier.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #19
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

That method has actually been assimilated into this one. It is now "Step Three" of a much longer process.

For most people, just mapping the external sdcard onto the /sdcard directory will be a vast improvement. The main reason is that many apps still use the /sdcard directory as storage space. For instance, I have all my PDF documents stored in the content director of ezPDF Reader, and they add up to almost 2GB worth of data. If I were using the original setup, I would have already basically filled up my /sdcard directory. Also, I'm not entirely sure, but I think the eDGe library application stores information in the same space.

The problem is that you still can't move applications to the sdcard. For some reason, the Entourage folk never got around to getting apps2sd to work. If you're the kind of person that likes to install lots of apps, this method will allow you to move them over to the sdcard, just like you were using a typical 2.2+ build.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:53 AM   #20
Franky
Nameless Being

@kennyminot, so far I can read, it's all about a PE. Will this setup you did also work for an full size EE?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #21
kennyminot
Groupie

It should! Of course, the EE might have some little differences, but you should be able to get it to work.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #22
tigerszheng
Enthusiast
tigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheese

Device: 800sg
it's strange for me.

I have an 8G card, and use mini-tool partion tool to divide it into 2 partition, 1 partition is around 6.3g for FAT32, 1 partition is around 1.3g for ext3.

but if I insert the sdcard into pe, the pe will not recognize it, said it's a blank card, ask me to format it. if I format it, it will format the whole sdcard into 7.5g capacity.

I use disk utility in Ubuntu, the problem is the same.

I doesn't do it with "ClockworkMod Recovery " since I have no idea about it. Sorry for that.

Anyone have any idea to fix it.

Thanks.

Last edited by tigerszheng; 07-06-2011 at 08:44 AM. Reason: missing some words
tigerszheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:26 AM   #23
tigerszheng
Enthusiast
tigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheesetigerszheng can extract oil from cheese

Device: 800sg
I tried Clockworkmod method:

Step by Step Guide

1.Backup your SD card data to PC before start partitioning.
2.Power on your phone and don’t let go power button.
3.DFT MAGLDR Bootloader will be loaded.
4.Press call button to load 1. Boot AD SD.
5.ClockworkMod Recovery will be loaded then.
6.Use volume down button to go down to ‘advanced’.
7.Then press call button.
8.Select ‘Partition SD Card’.
9.Select the ext size that you want (128M, 256M, 512M, 1024M, 2048M or 4096M).
10.Select 0M as the Swap Size.
11.Copy back your data to SD card.
That’s all.

My mobile is Samsung i9000, and loaded with cwm to enter into recovery mode,
After step 10, it said finished(looks like it works), but I reboot into system and found the sdcard is the same capacity before repartition, and put it back to computer, no ext3 partition shown, put into pe, it's the same one partition here.
tigerszheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #24
attemptress
Enthusiast
attemptress began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
Yay! I finally got it to work!

Thanks, kennyminot for figuring out the method, and for responding to my questions. I suggest some slight changes to the overall method that might make future attempts easier.

Steps 1 and 2 work fine.

Here's where I suggest changing things slightly.

Step 2.1 Make a copy of the files you are planning to change. Put them on a usb drive, or your computer. Stick a .txt at the end, so you don't confuse your devices. This'll make it easier to change things back if the process goes "pear-shaped."

Step 3: Map your sdcard onto the /sdcard directory.dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /block/mmcblk0. . .

Download the 3 files kennyminot was kind enough to post. Replace the existing /system/etc files AND add the install-recovery.sh file (remove the .txt from the files).

Step 3.1: Make sure your partitiioned card is in the slot, and reboot.

Step 4: Setup Link2SD. Click on the program. It should automatically detect your second partition. . .

No changes needed---after reboot . . .

Step 5: Modify the Link2SD script to manually mount your sdcard's first partition. . .

. . .again. Link2SD messes with the install-recovery.sh file when it runs the setup (or, at least it did when I tried it), all you need to do is replace it again with the file kennyminot provided.

5.1 Reboot your eDGe (last time). Your system should now have mapped the first partition of your sdcard to the /sdcard directory.

6. Sort out where all your files went. Your Edge may not be able to find some of your application saved files and likely your library files. You'll need to move them over to the right folder in the sd card. If you're not sure where the Edge THINKS the files are, try saving a new one in whatever app is the problem, then find the old files (now on /extsd) and put them in the new folder. I found when using RootExplorer, that if I tried to replace the sd card library file with the folder that actually contained my library files, it made a sub-folder instead, so you may need to "multi-select," select all the files, copy and paste.

Hopefully, this'll save someone else some frustration.
attemptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:35 AM   #25
jclmaster
jclmaster began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by attemptress View Post
kennyminot:

In all of my attempts, I first formatted the card FAT32, and then made the EXT3 partition, so the first partition was FAT32, and the second was EXT3. Any insight would be appreciated.

-A
Can someone confirm that the FAT/FAT32 partition goes first on the SD card?
jclmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #26
jclmaster

My SD Card specs. Do this look right?
Update: I got the SD card to read in my PE. Copied Kenny's files over. Fired up LINK2SD and it said "ext2 not found". Going to rename the files until I figure how to verify that the ext3 partition can be read on the PE also. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDCard.png
Views:	533
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	74373  

Last edited by jclmaster; 07-15-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:19 AM   #27
jclmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyminot View Post
I attached the three files that you need to modify. However, your problem sounds related to how you partitioned the sdcard. You MUST partition your sdcard into two parts in order for Link2SD to work. How did you go about doing this?

!
Maybe a silly question . . . The files that Kenny attached to a previous msg have already been modified, correct? Thanks

Last edited by jclmaster; 07-15-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #28
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hi there, jclmaster! Maybe you've gotten your answers already, but in case not, here's a bump!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #29
kennyminot
Groupie

jcl -

These other brave souls know more about partitioning the device. As I've said, I used ClockworkMod on my phone to do it. That said, I see no immediate reason why your partitioning setup shouldn't work. Remember: the key step is that you have to get the Link2SD app to recognize the ext3 partition. Once you've swapped the two fstab files with the ones I uploaded, try dropping the install-recovery.sh into the /etc directory. Then, reboot and make sure things have loaded up before you jump into the Link2SD program.

Personally, I have trouble believing that the order in which you partition the card actually makes a difference. However, people here seem to have formatted the entire card as FAT32 and then added the EXT3 partition.

One final thing - the files have definitely been modified. You just need to remove the *.txt tags, which I put on there simply because the MobileRead forum required it.

Good luck! Report back how it goes!

Last edited by kennyminot; 07-16-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #30
jclmaster

I have tried the mini format pgm mentioned earlier. I downloaded UBUNTU and used its partition manager. No matter what I used the PE pukes on it and says either its blank or damaged (varies depending on how I set it up).

If anyone gets a chance could you look at your working external SD card in the mini tool Partition wizard and do a screen print so we can see what yours looks like? Thanks!