Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-06-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
Monol1th666
Monol1th666 began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX James Cook 2
Calibre freezes after opening a book in Linux Mint 20.3 (6.8.0 calibre)

Hi.
Sorry for my bad English. I am using Linux Mint 20.3 and 6.8.0 version of Calibre. It does not open a book. It's just freezes while loading. Here is video
https://youtu.be/ijHze0P39bI
Can somebody help me with this issue?
Tried to find solution, but did not find anything
Thank you.
Monol1th666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #2
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monol1th666 View Post
Hi.
Sorry for my bad English. I am using Linux Mint 20.3 and 6.8.0 version of Calibre. It does not open a book. It's just freezes while loading. Here is video
Thank you.
No problem for me with the same operating system. Does it happen with all the books or with some?
Attached Files
File Type: avi vokoscreenNG-2022-11-06_13-47-36.avi (5.08 MB, 56 views)
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2022, 11:57 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will be GPU driver issues. Update your GPU drivers or you can try turning off hardware acceleration as described here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtwebengine-debugging.html
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #4
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
It works using both mint 20.2 and mint 21 on my system. Check out this thread on hardware rendering/acceleration disabling.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=327243
bernie
Quote:
Hi.
Thank you.

Last edited by gbm; 11-06-2022 at 12:01 PM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:07 PM   #5
Monol1th666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
No problem for me with the same operating system. Does it happen with all the books or with some?
Yes with all books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It will be GPU driver issues. Update your GPU drivers or you can try turning off hardware acceleration as described here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtwebengine-debugging.html
Probably it's driver issues yes. My laptop from 2005 with GPU GeForce 7000M / nForce 61 and has no new drivers. Only old nouveau driver version.
I am sorry, can't understand where shoud i type "--disable-gpu", in linux terminal?
Advert
Old 11-06-2022, 02:33 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Open a terminal

type in:
sudo editor ~/.bashrc
enter password
go to the bottom of the file using the down arrow.

type in:
export QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS='--disable-gpu'
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-11-06 14-22-35.png
Views:	65
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	197568
save file using ctrl shift ^X
type y return

reboot.

bernie

Quote:
Yes with all books.

Probably it's driver issues yes. My laptop from 2005 with GPU GeForce 7000M / nForce 61 and has no new drivers. Only old nouveau driver version.
I am sorry, can't understand where shoud i type "--disable-gpu", in linux terminal?
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #7
Monol1th666

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
export QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS='--disable-gpu'
Thank you very much. That worked!