Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2022, 04:30 PM   #196
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 14PM, Kindle Paperwhite SE, iPad mini 6, PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
PR are really just a proprietary PDF with Amazon DRM. They ought to add it to Scribe, but it seems like the reading aspect of Scribe is based on Kindle eink, a sort of 10.2″ version of Oasis.
PR can also include audio and video files that are packaged with the PDF and create links to that. Of course PDF tools like Acrobat Pro or Foxit can embed multimedia in the PDF itself, but it seems Kindle Create assumes the PDF you ingest doesn't have any of that and gives you a way to add it.

It's not clear how many PR with multimedia are published, and obviously Scribe is not set up to handle that (so it could just say 'multimedia not supported' like it does with regular 'multimedia' ebooks). Still, if I wanted to publish PR I would want it to work on Scribe. And Amazon could promote Scribe as eduction device with more plausibility if it could read all of the textbooks published with in that format.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #197
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad, Nexus 7
Amazon's web page for the Scribe states, "Scribe does not support handwritten sticky notes on manga, comics, graphic novels, magazines, or newspapers, though they are still available for download and look beautiful on the 10.2” 300 ppi display." The Fix Issues page I linked previously advises, "Try sending the document again through Send to Kindle to make sure it has the latest features enabled for Kindle Scribe and Send to Kindle."

This make me wonder whether Amazon did not bother to implement sticky notes for MOBI format. That would explain the lack of support for periodicals and a potential need to resend documents to have them converted to the correct format.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #198
HLS
Fanatic
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Kobo Sage, Ipad Pro's and Airs and minis. Kobo Libra.
I am tempted to get it. The sticky note feature is on the ipad app already so I am not in a hurry but i do love shiney new toys lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:35 PM   #199
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
The sticky note feature is on the ipad app already…
I have not seen this yet. What version of the app? How does it work? Do you need a stylus?
Old 11-24-2022, 08:56 PM   #200
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 14PM, Kindle Paperwhite SE, iPad mini 6, PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have not seen this yet. What version of the app? How does it work? Do you need a stylus?
I also do not understand what the the post is referring to.

As you know, the latest updates let you view Notebooks created on Scribe, and presumably also allows you to view Sticky Notes created for books on Scribe, but it definitely does not let you create Sticky Notes. I've seen nothing to indicate that it (ever) will. You can, of course use Pencil or some other stylus to highlight or create text annotations (with iOS native handwriting recognition).

I'm still unclear about what Kindle app will let you do with a PDF with annotations and sticky notes created on Scribe. Currently you cannot view annotations or create them with the Kindle apps, only with Kindle devices.

I also have not seen anything to indicate if other Kindles (running latest firmware) will be able to view Sticky Notes.

To the extent that I'm interested in using a stylus to create annotations (not very), I find it a weak point that you can only create and edit these on a Kindle Scribe. I'd want this feature on at least one other platform before I'd 'invest' in making a lot of scribbles or documents ('notebooks') that are effectively tied to one device. Is there a way to export, if only to an image file?

You cannot get a Scribe without a stylus, and if you want more than 16GB storage, you also have to pay ($30) more for the included 'deluxe' stylus, whether you have any use for it or not.

As a first-generation 'concept', there are bound to be feature gaps. These are a few of them:

No support for external keyboard
No support for Print Replica (fixed layout textbooks)
No ability to create or modify (or delete?) sticky notes except on Scribe
Mismatch between PDF annotation features for Kindle vs Kindle apps (which have none)
No handwriting recognition ('maybe next year')
(AFAICT) no two column view in Landscape orientation. With a screen this large, it is sort of expected.

Given this, I'm surprised to find myself thinking about getting one.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-24-2022 at 08:59 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2022, 05:26 PM   #201
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
It appears that Amazon is having a Black Friday deal of $40 off if you purchase two 16 GB Scribes at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/promotion/psp...A1AWWTU5LEU2CF
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #202
untilyouarrived
untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Scribe, Remarkable 2, HiSense Hi Reader
Actually, this is a better link: https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20221125-2521830/
untilyouarrived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:14 AM   #203
eilon
Enthusiast
eilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura abouteilon has a spectacular aura about

Device: Oasis 2017
The Kindle Scribe 5.16.1 firmware is now available for download

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

Whoever wants to anaylyze it
eilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:19 AM   #204
untilyouarrived
untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.untilyouarrived once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Couple of things of note from the translated post:

* There is no pressure sensitivity - so my Remarkable is safe
* The screen appears to be lightly textured
* 18 templates included
* You can organise your notes into folders
* Outputs to PDF
* No external storage by USB? (I imagine that will annoy many people if true)

More devices to come?
Quote:
"I don't think it's a model that everyone will like, but on the contrary, with this sense of size and handwriting, I would like to expand the Kindle experience to new users that Amazon has not been able to reach until now." ( Shimizu).

Personally, I'm also curious about the future appearance of a "small version Kindle Scribe" that can be held in one hand. Mr. Shimizu said, ``I think it can be realized even with the size of Kindle Oasis,'' and that it will not be possible to meet the needs of ``I want a large e-book reader. ``I decided that the 10.2-inch large screen was the best for the first release,'' he said.
Old 11-28-2022, 10:52 AM   #205
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Another review from Japan:

https://www.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1458437.html
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:36 AM   #206
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by untilyouarrived View Post
No external storage by USB? (I imagine that will annoy many people if true)
The Google translation of that part of the article reads:

Quote:
By the way, the USB-C terminal on the main unit is only for charging and power supply, and does not support external storage.
I strongly doubt that. There was a leaked draft of the Scribe User Guide and that described the same USB drive mode that other Kindles use. And Amazon has already posted a firmware update file for the Scribe. It would be pretty useless without some way to load it, although I suppose the built in web browser might be able to do it.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #207
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
It will work as external storage via USB to a host, but won't use (host) external storage itself is what they mean.

Maybe some Android eink can host external storage, but I never saw such a thing via USB on any ereader, only SD card slot if available.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 11:59 AM   #208
untilyouarrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It will work as external storage via USB to a host, but won't use (host) external storage itself is what they mean.
That makes much more sense. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:14 PM   #209
HLS
Fanatic
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Kobo Sage, Ipad Pro's and Airs and minis. Kobo Libra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
You press down on text like your going to highlight and there is an option to take a note pops up in the highlight menu. looks like a pencil over a square. You hit that and a sticky note pops up but you need a stylus to actually write the note. When you save the note it shows up as an annotation on the page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xxxxx.jpg
Views:	943
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	198075   Click image for larger version

Name:	yyyyy.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	198076  
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:09 PM   #210
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
You press down on text like your going to highlight and there is an option to take a note pops up in the highlight menu. looks like a pencil over a square. You hit that and a sticky note pops up but you need a stylus to actually write the note. When you save the note it shows up as an annotation on the page
That is the text annotation interface long supported by Kindle apps and devices. The keyboard pops up on the bottom so that you can type a note.

What Amazon is calling sticky notes are hand drawn images. Are you saying that with a stylus you can draw a picture that will save as a note in the app?