Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2022, 07:13 AM   #1066
vansontv
vansontv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW5 Paperwhite
Is there a video on how to install KUAL on Kindle PAPERWHITE 11th, I can't install it?
vansontv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:59 AM   #1067
TJG
TJG began at the beginning.

Device: K4
Making Old New

@niluje: I'm new to this thread (and message board back end); please bare with me.
For kicks I started researching the capabilities of an old Kindle (K4) due to its eInk screen and read somewhere it might be possible to use USB to... (long laundry list) so I tripped across this 8+ year old thread and spent the past so many hours reading the starting and a few of the ending pages worth of posts - long story short, thanks for 'that' level of dedication!

Regardless, I have an old K4 which I was going to tinker with but ran into a brick wall with KUAL. (JB was effortless, but I installed fonts, python and ss just in case there was a dependency from there - which doesn't seem to be the case.)

kindle-mkk-20141129-r18833.tar.gz/...k4-ALL went in without issue.
Copied KUAL-v2.7.28-gb9db5b3-20221001.tar.xz/KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2 into /documents on the device and it crashed once opened. (Repeated everything and rebooted before opening KUAL - no difference.)

KUAL shows up in the top-left of the screen
A moment afterward:
Code:
Main class instantiation threw a Runtime Exception. Please contact the developer.
Log file:
Code:
[11/30/22 8:10 AM] KUAL (v. 2.7)
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.ui.UIAdapter
	at ixtab.jailbreak.SuicidalKindlet.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.KualKindlet.<init>(KualKindlet.java:46)
	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.kb.zdb(tpb:275)
	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.kb.KU(tpb:439)
	at com.amazon.kindle.kindlet.internal.lifecycle.o.call(psb:412)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(fw:491)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.IX(qr:959)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(qr:803)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:989)
	at java.lang.Thread.startup(Thread.java:1066)
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.ui.UIAdapter
	at java.lang.Class.runStaticInitializers(Compiled Method)(Class.java:1578)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.KualKindlet.getUI(KualKindlet.java:269)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.KualKindlet.<init>(KualKindlet.java:152)
	at edu.emory.mathcs.backport.java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(qr:803)
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
TJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:03 PM   #1068
picree
Connoisseur
picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'picree knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Oasis
Group Question: I have a PW1 (5.6.1.1) and a KOA (5.8.11). Both are on the latest snapshots. Both are on airplane mode so they don't connect to AWS. Since updating the snapshots they both will often forget the time. I thought connecting them to a computer would sync the time but it no longer does. This messes up the book covers hack. I can manually set the time on the kindle but not the date (which is way off).

The only option I have is to SSH into the kindle and use Linux commands to reset the date/time. Anyone have any ideas?
picree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:12 AM   #1069
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2 & PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa & Sage
@TJG: I would say double-check that you're actually launching the KDK1 variant, and not the KDK2?

I'll double-check if something wonky happened to the KDK1 build on my end whenever I find some time (and have a charged K4 ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #1070
TJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@TJG: I would say double-check that you're actually launching the KDK1 variant, and not the KDK2?
I'll double-check if something wonky happened to the KDK1 build on my end whenever I find some time (and have a charged K4 ;p).
Started from scratch:
  • Disregarded WiFi setup
  • Installed the jailbreak 1.8.N for K4
  • Installed usbnetwork
  • Installed screensavers
  • Installed Python3
  • Installed KUAL-v2.7.28-gb9db5b3-20221001.tar.gz / Update_KUALBooket_v2.7.28_install.bin
  • Copied KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2 from the same tar.gz into /Documents (empty file called /Documents/KUAL.kual was found.)
When KUAL is opened from Kindle's main screen:
Code:
An error occurred: Main class
Instantiation threw a
RuntimeException. Please contact
the developer.
Flagged by undefined javax.swing.JButton.
Code:
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax.swing.JButton
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax.swing.JButton
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.ui.UIAdapter.createInstance(UIAdapter.java:35)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.ui.UIAdapter.<clinit>(UIAdapter.java:28)
	at java.lang.Class.runStaticInitializers(Compiled Method)(Class.java:1604)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.KualKindlet.getUI(KualKindlet.java:269)
	at com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.KualKindlet.<init>(KualKindlet.java:152)
Thank you for your efforts!
T.J.
Old 12-09-2022, 12:46 PM   #1071
TJG

***DOLT!***
After the third or fourth README and a reference back to the site led me to reading:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...hp?t=323801#10
install.bin AND KDK-1.0 are not to be installed together and install.bin ended up as part of my 'image' being sent over to the K4.
MRInstaller doesn't show, but we're up 'n running otherwise!
Thanks!
Old 12-09-2022, 12:54 PM   #1072
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ha! Glad you figured it out (the traceback vaguely ringed a bell and hinted at a version confusion, but I didn't think of the Booklet variant, only the KDK1 vs. KDK2 thing :s).
Old 12-10-2022, 02:41 AM   #1073
TJG

@NiLuJe: Yes, I'd imagine so - though quite a few moons ago!
I wanted to experiment with a K4 before trying to tackle a PW (KT4) and chance bricking one of "the good ones."

The only problem I've had thus far with the K4 (once KDK1 was installed properly) is the wireless being activated. (Doing so kills dev mode and KUAL is no longer allowed to run.) I'll do some more digging in the archives before pestering anyone.

The ultimate goal here is to eventually create the means to send content (usb and wifi) from a micro to the kindle and have the content displayed on the Kindle. I know it's already been done (somewhere out there... just no memory as to where) thus I'm just now getting my feet wet in hopes it can be done via software/hacks/extensions as opposed to extracting the eInk and building controllers thus giving older Kindles a bit more "purpose" while still maintaining their original one. (Think "screensavers" just a bit more of a refresh rate and in this case, overlaying the active screen, including the "USB Screen." )

Thanks again and take care!

T.J.
Old 12-17-2022, 06:52 PM   #1074
mergen3107
Guru
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Kon-Tiki 2
@NiLuJe,

So I got a Kindle Keyboard 3G US recently. I installed your font hack, it works! Thank you! I was able to replace the main serif font for reading and the sans font for the UI. However, enabling browser/KF8 fonts does nothing in either of the books. Am I doing something wrong?
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 09:12 PM   #1075
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mergen3107: Have you gone through a framework restart already?
Old 12-17-2022, 09:14 PM   #1076
mergen3107
Guru
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@NiLuJe
Ah, sorry! It started working after a few restart I had.
Thank you! Your hacks works like a charm
Old 12-17-2022, 09:20 PM   #1077
mergen3107
Guru

@NiLuJe
Also a question on the usbnet.
During boot it says "N E failed to stop sshd". Is this OK or I messed up some settings?
I use it only in Wi-Fi mode and have it enabled on boot.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:26 PM   #1078
NiLuJe
BLAM!

No, that's okay (it usually means the device was turned off with SSHD up, which is... to be expected ;p).
Old 12-17-2022, 09:46 PM   #1079
mergen3107
Guru

OK, thanks!
Old 12-17-2022, 11:34 PM   #1080
mergen3107
Guru

@NiLuJe
FYI, FontHack's Auto Hint options makes my K3 go into boot loop. I had it first time, didn't know to fix it. Then factory resetted everything, setup again, and enabled Autohint again Then I was able to catch usbms while in bootloop and remove the autohint file. Then it booted all right.

Should I share with my fonts I used? So you can debug it for future.

Tags
hacks, kindle, niluje