Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-29-2022, 02:06 PM   #106
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Tomorrow is the day!!!. Amazon review embargo ends at 9 am ET/3 pm CET.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:41 PM   #107
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Tomorrow is the day!!!. Amazon review embargo ends at 9 am ET/3 pm CET.
When does the embargo finish? tomorrow?

Last edited by shanghaichica; 11-29-2022 at 03:58 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 04:51 PM   #108
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
When does the embargo finish? tomorrow?
Yep 30/11
Old 11-29-2022, 05:14 PM   #109
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW3, PW4, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I always love reviews of these new devices, so that is exciting. Feels like "finally"
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:00 AM   #110
Gibbo
Guru

Reviews and device comparison online.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...one_day_early/
Old 11-30-2022, 04:11 AM   #111
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Unboxing Video
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...tm_name=iossmf
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #112
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Reviews and device comparison online.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...one_day_early/
Not much there. A pressure sensitive pen, but application fixed threshold (which makes sense), only image type notes like reMarkable, no handwriting conversion like Elipsa or Nebo on iOS (Apple Pencil) or Android (only models with digitizer & stylus).

So as predicted, far better than reMarkable, but only advantage over Elipsa is 300 dpi vs 227 dpi and Kindle sync.

No doubt the gadget blogs & goofyereader will wax lyrical and ignore the shortcomings (too big for ebooks, no handwritting conversion) and fail to say it's brilliant for proofing or reading PDFs (which are not true ebooks) and otherwise nearly pointless for ebooks and writing (an 8" Kobo Sage is far better).

Still to be answered: Kindle Print Replica and fixed layout Amazon sales not supported on any prior eink Kindle ever.

Last edited by Quoth; 11-30-2022 at 09:29 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:08 AM   #113
Gibbo
Guru

http://thekindlechronicles.com/tkc-7...-scribe-review
Old 11-30-2022, 01:18 PM   #114
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The Washington Post review isn’t nuts about it; “better for reading than writing.”

Gift article link, so no paywall restriction:

https://wapo.st/3XIbj1P
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:32 PM   #115
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The Washington Post review isn’t nuts about it; “better for reading than writing.”

Gift article link, so no paywall restriction:

https://wapo.st/3XIbj1P
Sad it doesn't mention the Kobo 8" Sage, or 10.3" Elipsa, both of which make the reMarkable look like rubbish. I have all three. I don't really know much about the Onyx, except spec and computer USB use are both far better than the reMarkable.

The Washington Post confirms my thought that this is really a PDF reader, what the DX and DXG failed at. Unless onboard handwriting conversion is added it's only good as kind of post-it notes, not serious writing.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:07 PM   #116
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Sad it doesn't mention the Kobo 8" Sage, or 10.3" Elipsa, both of which make the reMarkable look like rubbish. I have all three. I don't really know much about the Onyx, except spec and computer USB use are both far better than the reMarkable.

The Washington Post confirms my thought that this is really a PDF reader, what the DX and DXG failed at. Unless onboard handwriting conversion is added it's only good as kind of post-it notes, not serious writing.
Not everyone needs handwriting conversion. It can also fall pretty flat on it's face especially if you have to write down any jargon ever. I used to take notes in school on my Windows tablet and it would pretty quickly prove pointless to convert notes with every 20th word ending up wrong and I tried a few different apps including Nebo. For me having the notebook as a PDF is benefit enough. I don't need to type it up usually and if I do it usually needs an overhaul anyways.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:53 PM   #117
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Not everyone needs handwriting conversion. It can also fall pretty flat on it's face especially if you have to write down any jargon ever. I used to take notes in school on my Windows tablet and it would pretty quickly prove pointless to convert notes with every 20th word ending up wrong and I tried a few different apps including Nebo. For me having the notebook as a PDF is benefit enough. I don't need to type it up usually and if I do it usually needs an overhaul anyways.
I would like to have handwriting conversion. But I've never tried it with my so-called handwriting. It sounds as if it might be easier just to read it myself and transfer the notes over.

In fact, I truly believe that if software developers created software that could read my handwriting, that software might become intelligent enough to take over the world. So ... My bad handwriting is keeping us safe from Skynet!
Critteranne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:58 PM   #118
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I would like to have handwriting conversion. But I've never tried it with my so-called handwriting. It sounds as if it might be easier just to read it myself and transfer the notes over.

In fact, I truly believe that if software developers created software that could read my handwriting, that software might become intelligent enough to take over the world. So ... My bad handwriting is keeping us safe from Skynet!
SNORT, lol.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 07:19 PM   #119
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Thanks for the link. I'm always interested in the variety of goals. The comments in such a high-profile article are interesting.

Especially I'm interested in the "Electronic paper changed my life" vs. "Eh, I read books on my portable LCD/IPS/OLED device".

Also this fear of a backlight eating your battery is completely overblown. You probably remember when Radio Shack gave away (cheap) flashlights for free because they ATE batteries. Turn the flashlight on your cell phone on and look into it (WARNING: Don't!) Now imagine how bright it should be to be pleasant to your eyes. 1/1000? Maybe. I can't count how many devices that I have bought where I had to tone down the LEDs because they were too damn bright. I have a power supply with a little itty-bitty LED to show that it's running. They fed 20 mA through it! I knocked it down to 2 mA. It was still too bright. I knocked it down to 1 ma, 5% of the original current.

I run my Poke3 at "30%" brightness (it's not "30%" of the current, this is all logarithmic) ALL the time. I don't want to futz with it. When it's dark, I notice it. When it's bright, I don't notice it. Try it.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:02 PM   #120
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW3, PW4, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

No doubt the gadget blogs & goofyereader will wax lyrical and ignore the shortcomings
Well, they put up their video review on Youtube and titled it, The Best Amazon Kindle EVER (yes, in capital letters for ever)
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote