Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
GNWalker
GNWalker began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
E-Book in Kobo locked

Hi, this is my first posting and I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I'm having with Kobo. I downloaded 2 books last Friday and have had no problems with reading them. I downloaded another from the Kobo website Sunday and when I try to read it, I get a message that states that the book is locked. I looked at other postings in the blog and found that if you change the file name that this will often correct the problem. The problem I'm having is I can't figure out how to do that. I can't find in the Kobo software where I can do this and I cannot find the books on my laptop in order to change the name. I would really appreciate it if someone could post some information that would walk me through the steps.
GNWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, GNWalker

You've come to the right place for help....stand by,.........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Is the locked book an ePub file...or some other format? If ePUB, have you tried loading it through Adobe ADE? If it is not ePUB and you are using the new desktop version, you may be a player in what is currently a bit of a gong show with the 1.7.3 desktop not playing nicely with sync at the moment. So tell us a bit more about the book format, which Kobo reader etc. and maybe someone can help you a bit more.

The other issue that locks books is using two different ADE encryptions. This can happen when you are trying to add books from two different Kobo accounts or using two different ADE accounts.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
GNWalker

It is an ePub file that I purchased from the Kobo website. I have the newest version of Kobo but had trouble on Friday when I first purchased it. I purchased a book from Kobo and it would download to my library on my computer but could not get it to appear on my e-reader. I contacted the help line and they had me download a fix and I was then able to synch my e-reader so that the book appeared. The second book downloaded fine and was able to read it. The third book is the one I have all of a sudden run into problems with.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNWalker
I can't find in the Kobo software where I can do this and I cannot find the books on my laptop in order to change the name. I would really appreciate it if someone could post some information that would walk me through the steps.
When you select to Download a standard epub book from the Kobo site after purchase or from your Library, you save it in a directory of your choice. It is saved as a .acsm file.

Double clicking this .acsm file opens Adobe Digital Editions application and creates the DRM protected .epub file which is located automatically in:

C:\Users\YourName\My Documents\My Digital Editions\xxxx.epub

This book file can be dropped into the e-reader with ADE, Calibre, or Explorer into the main Kobo e-reader root disk directory as an epub file.

Note that epub books that are Sync'd with the Kobo desktop application are stored in the sqlite.db database file located in the e-reader at disk:\.kobo\kepub. You have no access to the individual books in that database.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
GNWalker

Thanks for all your help. Between the postings and the help line, the problem is rectified.