Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 05:23 PM   #16
Moonkey
Moonkey began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
Hi there! I know this is not the same but, is it possible to have the total number of pages? I mean, for example, instead "145" "145/468". I just miss to know how many pages are left.
Moonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #17
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
Hi Moonkey

I agree, but unfortunately I don't think this is possible with re-skinning at the moment, unless there are some extra hidden settings that we've not yet discovered.

Cyberman_tm has been able to change things like text size, and a fair few other settings in an example skin he's working on, but I believe this sort of change might have to be a fairly major software change.

Labzuk mentioned he was considering looking at getting OpenInkpot onto the Cool-ers... If that happens then we're set
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #18
Moonkey

I guess it should then be a matter of a new firmware update . I may email interead people to make an effort...
Old 03-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #19
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonkey View Post
Hi there! I know this is not the same but, is it possible to have the total number of pages? I mean, for example, instead "145" "145/468". I just miss to know how many pages are left.
Doesn't look that way, unfortunately.

The skin files DO have two separate images as placeholder for page numbers - but only one is visibly used, both are on the same location.

The only case where both are used is the main library - but you know that already, it's the only case where the page numbes are actually used :-(

The interface is very primitive, so I doubt it's possible to actually get it to show more information than it does right now.
Although, the system must know the current and maximum page number, the cursor bar indicating the current position is calculated - if you change the size of the bar, it still works fine without being skewed.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #20
Moonkey

I sent an email to Interead people and this is their reply:

Hi,

Thanks for contacting COOLREADERS!

Thank you very much for your suggestion. We do value our customers
opinions and inputs and your suggestion has been forwarded to our
Technical Department for consideration.

I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Maria Luiza

COOLREADERS Support Team
support@coolreaders.com
www.coolreaders.com

The typical answer; I doubt they take it into "consideration".
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #21
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
Sorry, i'm running behind, had a few urgent work projects lately but i'll get back to it this weekend. (tbh between work, house repair, books and saxophone it's getting tough to get any extra time)
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #22
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

No apologies! If you can pull it off it'll be fairly legendary

And if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know, I'd love to get involved but wouldn't really know where to start with getting OpenInkpot or their kernel compiled.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #23
drcross
drcross began at the beginning.

Grrr! I keep getting "corrupted octal value in tar header" - even when i'm just repacking your theme! I downloaded the theme, unpacked it, re-tarred it using: "tar -cf skin.tar skin.penguin-0.9" and gzipped it using: "gzip skin.tar" and renamed the file to skin.tgz, on restart it's always that error! Im using a macbook, any ideas?? Good work by the way!
drcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #24
codeMonkey
Zealot

Hey drcross.

I tar and gzip in one step using 'tar czf' - I think this might make a difference since tar just pipes it through gzip rather than gzipping the tar file.

If you've got a standard version of tar and gzip (preferably gnu tar for compatibility with the Cool-ERs busybox version of it) on your Macbook that should work.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #25
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Klingon Inspired Design - a new theme for the EB600

Well, actually it's not that new anymore. Some may know it from the Dev Hub, I'm using it as example for the skin file anatomy.

I decided to finally present it "officially", that is, here. Originally I hoped to integrate it with a new versio of kewl-er, but it seems Codemonkey is on a hiatus. Well, no matter, should he find the time to work on it again I can always integrate it later.
The current installation procedure is taken from his kewl-er script. Without this, I would never have even started trying to manipulate the skin files :-)

In the meantime - why keep it from others, perhaps I'm not the only one who likes it? :-)

I suppose not everyone has read the text on the Dev Hub, so here are a few words about the theme:

It started as a try to create a klingon-like interface. Unfortunately, the system is far too inflexible to be useful for that.
However, a few things did work as intended, so while the result isn't all that klingon-like, it takes a few hints from klingons. :-)

Don't worry, I didn't just slap klingon symbols all over the place, nor is everything IN klingon.
The menus are the same as always too, as I didn't find a usable way to modify them without losing functionality or looking badly made, with mismatching colors all the time.

What I did change though is the status bar and a few pictures.

Here's a mock-up (including legend) for the status bar when you read a book:

If you like it, download the full theme from here: KIDesign.zip.

You don't have to install it yet - just unzip and look at the startup/power-off pictures - they're nice, I think.

If there are problems with this theme, or you find an image missing(that is, an original showing through), just tell me. I'll try to correct it.

Installation instructions are within the readme file. It's easy and should work on any CoolEr, or perhaps even on non-CoolER devices, as long as they are EB600 and use a variation of the Netronix firmware.

If you give it a try, please remember - I did test it, and I am using the same files - but it still could happen that something goes wrong and you end up with a bricked device.
I don't expect this to happen, but you should backup all your files in any case. It doesn't hurt to be prepared, right?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #26
codeMonkey
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Originally I hoped to integrate it with a new versio of kewl-er, but it seems Codemonkey is on a hiatus. Well, no matter, should he find the time to work on it again I can always integrate it later.
Hey man. Yeah, sorry!
Work got hectic, then Interead went under. I got about 90% done on the new version, but with the lack of interest it hasn't really seemed worth the last bit of effort it would take for testing and things.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:28 AM   #27
Cyberman tM
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeMonkey View Post
Hey man. Yeah, sorry!
Work got hectic, then Interead went under. I got about 90% done on the new version, but with the lack of interest it hasn't really seemed worth the last bit of effort it would take for testing and things.
No problem, I guessed you'd have more important stuff to do.

I guess it would be time now to try to expand to non-CoolEr devices :-D
Old 05-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #28
Bulten
Bulten began at the beginning.

Device: eb600em (Elonex 621eb)
I got a Elonex device with the Cool-er firmware installed on it.

This is the error message i got when trying to install the penquin skin:
Quote:
skinMod: Courtesy of a codeMonkey
=================================
ebr version 0203
Checking files in /mnt/flash/skin.tgz
./
./FONT_SIZE_ICON.xcf
./BOOK_DIR.jpg
./0828.txt
./STATUS_BATTERY_CHARGE_0.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_6.jpg
./fpreader.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_4.jpg
./BOOKMARK.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_1.jpg
./FONT_SIZE_4_ICON.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_CHARGE_7.jpg
./BACK_DIR_2.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_CHARGE_2.jpg
./FONT_SIZE_7_ICON.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_0.jpg
./FONT_SIZE_6_ICON.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_8.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_5.jpg
./POWER_OFF_.jpg
./FONT_SIZE_5_ICON.jpg
./FONT_SIZE_2_ICON.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_CHARGE_1.jpg
./1119.txt
./STATUS_BATTERY_CHARGE_6.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_CHARGE_5.jpg
./FONT_SIZE_8_ICON.jpg
./USB_LINK_PAGE.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_3.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_CHARGE_8.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_7.jpg
./FONT_SIZE_1_ICON.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_CHARGE_3.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_2.jpg
./STATUS_BATTERY_CHARGE_4.jpg
./FONT_SIZE_3_ICON.jpg

Checking whether skin file is compatible with firmware
Skin file is incompatible - unable to find 0203.txt tag file
Bulten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #29
Cyberman tM
Evangelist

As far as I remember, codeMonkey only put that check there to make sure the versions match.

So this could mean you've got an older firmware version on your device - in which case I suggest you find a copy of the newer firmware and update it.
(Would be a good idea either way, I think.)

You probably could also modify the script to remove the check.

Bear in mind that there always is some risk involved. Do not try if you cannot accept this.

(Although I don't think it's much risk. But why should you trust my opinion, I've got nothing to lose if your device is bricked. Nothing to win either, of course.)

Tags
cool-er skins themes