Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-02-2023, 07:36 PM   #31
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
You can also adjust the distance between the lines and change the boldness of the font (the latter can be done out-of-the box for fonts already loaded, but if you want to change the boldness of custom fonts, you'll need a patch.)

Kobo readers are very adaptable.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:39 PM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
You can also adjust the distance between the lines and change the boldness of the font (the latter can be done out-of-the box for fonts already loaded, but if you want to change the boldness of custom fonts, you'll need a patch.)
Not anymore, now it's also possible out of the box.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2023, 07:42 PM   #33
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not anymore, now it's also possible out of the box.
That's even better.

I tend not to update the firmware on my readers if I'm happy with how they are. I'm assuming this happened in a firmware update?
Old 05-02-2023, 07:44 PM   #34
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
FWIW, the Clara 2E is currently on sale.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:44 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's even better.

I tend not to update the firmware on my readers if I'm happy with how they are. I'm assuming this happened in a firmware update?
Yes, 4.32 if I remember correctly.
Advert
Old 05-02-2023, 07:49 PM   #36
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Yes, 4.32 if I remember correctly.
I'm still at 4.30. It does what I want (apart from not bolding Lexia dama) so I won't risk an update.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:00 PM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm still at 4.30. It does what I want (apart from not bolding Lexia dama) so I won't risk an update.
4.32 did not have any issues on my Kobos. I tend to skip updates when they don't add anything useful to me, because Kobo updates are sometimes buggy. But 4.32 was fine. (Currently I'm on 4.34, still no issues. I skipped 4.33).

Edit: you can downgrade if you don't like an update.

Last edited by Sirtel; 05-02-2023 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-02-2023, 08:47 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by direhooks View Post
The Libra 2's still iffy for me, and reading in landscape mode doesn't sound particularly pleasant.
You don't HAVE to read in landscape. It's just an option.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 09:11 PM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You don't HAVE to read in landscape. It's just an option.
The OP cannot stand the asymmetry when in the portrait mode...
Old 05-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The OP cannot stand the asymmetry when in the portrait mode...
The probably the Libra 2 isn't the right device to recommend in the first place. Especially as that was clearly stated in the beginning.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 10:15 AM   #41
direhooks
direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Yes, it's the case and it is very practical, as you get more text on the screen. Basically you can make the margins as small or large as you want, even nonexistent (text is from edge to edge). This is what the text looks like on my Libra 2:
Tysm for the photo! Obviously, this is not a Clara 2E, but given the margin size on a Kindle, I'd probably get substantially more screen real estate from the Clara than the Basic. I don't know if it matches the PW 5, but the improvement seems substantial enough that the other pulls to the Clara 2E have made my decision for me. The Clara going for cheaper on sale also helps.

I'll be asking my brother to pick one up for me. Thanks for all the help and input!
direhooks is offline   Reply With Quote