Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-24-2023, 09:50 PM   #16
direhooks
direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I haven't noticed that on my Kobo Aura (6") or my Glowlight Plus (6").

I have heard complaints that the text on the Pocketbook Era is just clearly not as sharp as the text on the Libra 2 and the current Paperwhite, though all three use the same screen and the Paperwhite and Era are both flush screen. So maybe the flush screens can be done badly.
I'd been looking into the Pocketbook Era (the asymmetry isn't as bad as the Libra so it'd be more tolerable for me), but I saw similar comments on its screen. Apparently, Pocketbook reportedly placed an extra protective layer on the screen or something, and combined with it being side-lit it apparetnly cannot compare even to other flush screen devices like the PW 5.

I've heard a lot of mixed messaging on how greatly flush screens actually impact the reading experience at this point - it seems that there's a threshold where it can be done so poorly that it can negatively affect the reading experience, and a certain happy medium where the light reduction in contrast is outweighed by other benefits.

I ended up asking my boyfriend (owns a PW 5 SE) about it, and he said the screen does look fine when he's using it, so it seems like when it's done reasonably well it's generally overlooked in daily use, though he did say the screen does appear and feel slightly less matte because of it - but I'm not sure what all that's about.
direhooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:01 PM   #17
direhooks
direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.direhooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direhooks View Post
Clara 2E: It basically has all the features and functionality I want, except for the 6" screen size. I'm also concerned about things like ease of sideloading as SendtoKindle has spoiled me, but I'm not afraid to tinker (I'm an experienced Linux user and am handy with software) and have seen that there are some decent workarounds such as KoboCloud or even some hacky ftp solutions, so that's not a worry.

Kindle Paperwhite 5: It has almost everything I want, but I'm concerned about the flush screen. I really like the recessed screen of the Kindle Basic, and I worry that the flush screen might bother me in terms of "feel".

So, what do y'all think? I feel like I've hit an impasse in terms of feature set here. I don't really know which of the features I value more. How much does the Kindle's flush screen affect the reading experience (with frontlight turned very low or completely off)? Do you think it'd be better in the long-term to compromise on "feel" or on screen-size - if that's all a concern?

Thanks in advance to all feedback!
So after looking over these responses, it seems like the flushed screen, at least on the Kindle PW 5 does not have much of an impact on the reading experience, and actually serves some quality of life improvements. Aside from the Kindle's really opaque software, I'm leaning towards that.

I reason that because I'm having so much trouble deciding, I'm at a point where I'd probably be pretty happy with either device so long as I have the warm light. I've been able to survive reasonably well with the Kindle Basic 2022, so while the screen size increase would be nice, it's not a necessity.

At this current moment, I'm leaning towards the PW 5, and might just jailbreak it in the future with KOReader for some of the better formatting experiences with sideloaded books if possible. Again, thanks for all the feedback!
Advert
Old 04-25-2023, 08:56 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No assurance you'd be able to jailbreak a Kindle. So either fix ebooks in Calibre or get a Kobo (doesn't need a jailbreak and can run KOreader easily if you need it. Use your Kindle Basic Serial ID to buy & download Amazon ebooks for Kobo if required.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 10:21 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
At this current moment, I'm leaning towards the PW 5, and might just jailbreak it in the future with KOReader for some of the better formatting experiences with sideloaded books if possible. Again, thanks for all the feedback!
Don't count on being able to jailbreak it. If that is a big deal to you, just avoid Kindle.

If you're okay with your Kindle Basic as is, but just want the larger screen and warm light, then go for the Paperwhite.

Any important reason you are eying the Signature Edition? It seems to just not be worth the extra cash as the normal Paperwhite is already pretty good. Just about every review I've seen of the Signature Edition says that as well.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 10:43 AM   #20
direhooks

Quote:
Don't count on being able to jailbreak it. If that is a big deal to you, just avoid Kindle.

If you're okay with your Kindle Basic as is, but just want the larger screen and warm light, then go for the Paperwhite.

Any important reason you are eying the Signature Edition? It seems to just not be worth the extra cash as the normal Paperwhite is already pretty good. Just about every review I've seen of the Signature Edition says that as well.
Yeah, I'm fine with putting in some extra effort to format books to get them to work. I've figured out a pretty reliable and fast way to format some of the funkier EPUBs with Calibre that's been working for me so far. I think that's more than a fine trade-off for having the larger screen. I care about more open software and all, but I prioritize having a good reading experience above that, and I do think the larger screen would contribute to that.

The Signature Edition is just because the refurb is only $like 10 more expensive than if you got a refurb'd 8 GB model and paid to remove lockscreen ads, so I might as well get the former and have extra storage space in case I ever want to read manga or something (which I occasionally do).
Advert
Old 04-25-2023, 12:34 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Yeah, I'm fine with putting in some extra effort to format books to get them to work. I've figured out a pretty reliable and fast way to format some of the funkier EPUBs with Calibre that's been working for me so far. I think that's more than a fine trade-off for having the larger screen. I care about more open software and all, but I prioritize having a good reading experience above that, and I do think the larger screen would contribute to that.
Man, that whole paragraph practically shouts 'get the Libra 2!', but then I really don't know how much the asymmetric design would bother you.

Too bad you couldn't easily get your hands on an old Kobo Aura H2O2, though it uses the Carta instead of the Carta 1200 and has 8GB of storage instead of 16GB.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 01:09 PM   #22
direhooks

Quote:
Man, that whole paragraph practically shouts 'get the Libra 2!', but then I really don't know how much the asymmetric design would bother you.

Too bad you couldn't easily get your hands on an old Kobo Aura H2O2, though it uses the Carta instead of the Carta 1200 and has 8GB of storage instead of 16GB.
Believe me, I've considered it. I've had some pretty bad issues with asymmetry in the past, and I don't want to take chances on something like that when I likely wouldn't be able to return it if it wasn't bearable for me due to where I live.

And, yeah, I'd love it if things in the same form factor as the Kindle PW 5 were more available that weren't the Kindle PW 5 . It looks like some of the offerings from ONYX BOOX may fit the bill, but they're definitely too far out of my budget.

As of right now, with my current financial limitations, I am forced to compromise either on software or form factor, and I'm leaning more towards compromising on software. Like I said earlier, though, I'd probably be pretty happy with either of the options I listed.
Old 04-29-2023, 01:47 PM   #23
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
I would factor in the ecosystem into the choice of ereaders. At a certain point in your reading life, decide whether you prefer Amazon Kindle Unlimited to Kobo Plus. I use both but I tend to have peculiar tastes (pulp fiction). Which one can you subscribe to, from India? The next deciding factor is the weight of each reader plus look & feel. Again, I use both readers, but Kobo is the preferred choice, just for the epub format, which is easier to decrypt vs. AZW8 (and Amazon's insistence in making it more uncrackable).
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:10 PM   #24
direhooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
I would factor in the ecosystem into the choice of ereaders. At a certain point in your reading life, decide whether you prefer Amazon Kindle Unlimited to Kobo Plus. I use both but I tend to have peculiar tastes (pulp fiction). Which one can you subscribe to, from India? The next deciding factor is the weight of each reader plus look & feel. Again, I use both readers, but Kobo is the preferred choice, just for the epub format, which is easier to decrypt vs. AZW8 (and Amazon's insistence in making it more uncrackable).
That's an important consideration - I don't think I plan on getting one of the subscription services just yet, though. Kobo Plus is unavailable in India, while Kindle Unlimited is accessible, but a lot of my reading is made up of public domain books that I just sideload (Standard Ebooks is great!). I'm a literature major, and a lot of what I read is related to my core subject, and a lot of that ends up being in the public domain.

For other books, I'm comfortable with buying from another site, removing DRM, and sideloading on to the Kindle as opposed to getting from the Amazon bookstore.

What I most commonly read - sideloads from Standard Ebooks, seem to format beautifully on the Kindle Basic I've used, so I wouldn't expect many problems there. Some of the other ebook files I own that I've tested (from the Kobo store, it lists which books have an EPUB download option) seem to format pretty well aside from one series sourced elsewhere that I had to put more effort into formatting with Calibre.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:19 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Right now, the PW5 comes with too new a firmware to jailbreak and there's no guarantee that you'll ever be able to jailbreak it. So unless you can do with the PW5 as it (no jailbreak), don't get any Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 09:29 PM   #26
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
I have had a Paperwhite 5 for over a year and am happy with it. I use a combination of dark mode and warm lighting to read at night, which works very well. I'm also happy with the size, which I generally prefer over a 6 inch ereader. I got a very good third party case for mine that has a stand and a hand strap inside the front cover.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:11 AM   #27
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Get the Kobo, they are so much more adaptable. Anything you don't like can usually be fixed with a patch. I'm not a techie, so a kind person from here helped me patch my Libra 2.

I understand that you don't like asymmetry, but the Libra 2 has a gyroscope: when you turn the ereader, the text turns with it. This means you can use it in landscape mode with the part with the buttons at the bottom, giving left and right symmetry.

Otherwise, go for the Clara.
I used to be a kindle person, and still have two kindles which I use, but was so glad to jump ship. You can still buy books from Amazon, remove the drm, then convert and put them on your Kobo.

Also, it sounds like you've been downloading some poorly formatted public domain books. Take a look at the books in the mobileread library which works on a life+70 copyright basis. The books here are beautifully formatted by dedicated people.

Kindle is okay, but Kobo readers are better in my opinion.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 04:04 PM   #28
direhooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Get the Kobo, they are so much more adaptable. Anything you don't like can usually be fixed with a patch. I'm not a techie, so a kind person from here helped me patch my Libra 2.

I understand that you don't like asymmetry, but the Libra 2 has a gyroscope: when you turn the ereader, the text turns with it. This means you can use it in landscape mode with the part with the buttons at the bottom, giving left and right symmetry.

Otherwise, go for the Clara.
I used to be a kindle person, and still have two kindles which I use, but was so glad to jump ship. You can still buy books from Amazon, remove the drm, then convert and put them on your Kobo.

Also, it sounds like you've been downloading some poorly formatted public domain books. Take a look at the books in the mobileread library which works on a life+70 copyright basis. The books here are beautifully formatted by dedicated people.

Kindle is okay, but Kobo readers are better in my opinion.
Yeah, honestly software has been the one holdover that's been making this decision tough. I really, really like what I've seen and heard of the software on Kobo devices and like it the more I hear about it.

The Libra 2's still iffy for me, and reading in landscape mode doesn't sound particularly pleasant. I'd love if I had a way to demo the Libra 2 and see what it feels like, but there's basically no way to do so in my country.

The screen size has more so been a problem of me needing to make text size substantially bigger to read at night without my glasses. One of my biggest issues with the Kindle Basic (aside from the software and formatting stuff and lack of warm light) and been that there wasn't enough text on screen. It's still usable, but not great.

I've recently learned you can adjust the margins on a Kobo to get way closer to the edge of the screen than on a Kindle. Does anyone know if that's actually the case and practical for normal reading application? If it is, I'd be able to make the text just big enough for what I prefer and I'd probably get the Clara 2E in a heartbreat.
Old 05-02-2023, 05:32 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I've recently learned you can adjust the margins on a Kobo to get way closer to the edge of the screen than on a Kindle. Does anyone know if that's actually the case and practical for normal reading application? If it is, I'd be able to make the text just big enough for what I prefer and I'd probably get the Clara 2E in a heartbreat.
Yes, it's the case and it is very practical, as you get more text on the screen. Basically you can make the margins as small or large as you want, even nonexistent (text is from edge to edge). This is what the text looks like on my Libra 2:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20230503_002904 (2).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	201368  
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 06:35 PM   #30
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Keep in mind that if you turn margins all the way off, the beginning or end of each line will fall in the shadow of the bezel, depending upon where your light source is located. I usually set the margins one step away from maximum in order to avoid this.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote