Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-28-2023, 07:38 AM   #46
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIE18 View Post
I am not a programmer and do not work in IT. Working with code is space for me. I don't understand your recommendations.
Is there an easy way that even a child can handle?
I have not tested it myself so I cannot make any guarantees, but this webpage claims to do online conversion from one character encoding to another. Windows-1252 and UTF-8 are both listed as supported encodings. In my outline above, you would replace step 2 with using this website. You would still need to do steps 1 and 3.

https://www.freeformatter.com/conver...-encoding.html
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 10:22 AM   #47
KIE18
Enthusiast
KIE18 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
I have not tested it myself so I cannot make any guarantees, but this webpage claims to do online conversion from one character encoding to another. Windows-1252 and UTF-8 are both listed as supported encodings. In my outline above, you would replace step 2 with using this website. You would still need to do steps 1 and 3.

https://www.freeformatter.com/conver...-encoding.html
Apparently I'm doing something wrong. I give up trying to change it.
KIE18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2023, 10:27 AM   #48
KIE18
Enthusiast

Thank you all for trying to help me.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:37 AM   #49
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is there an easy way that even a child can handle?
Just replace the incorrect letters with correct ones one-by-one (be sure to set the Case Sensitive checkbox).
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:37 AM   #50
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apparently I'm doing something wrong. I give up trying to change it.
I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. As somebody with more experience than you dealing with this kind of issue let me reassure you that it is a frustrating issue to try to fix. I didn't test that webpage that I linked so I have no idea if you're doing something wrong or if the tool is simply broken.

If you are willing to keep trying then another avenue to try would be to revisit the command I shared previously, and repost here for the sake of being explicit:

Code:
read -r -d '' bash_script <<'EOF'
if [[ $(chardetect "{}" --minimal) == "Windows-1252" ]] ; then
    iconv -f cp1252 -t utf-8 "{}" -o "{}.utf8"
    mv "{}.utf8" "{}"
fi
EOF
find . -type f -execdir bash -c "$bash_script" ';'
Although you are on Windows, these days I understand that Windows has something called WSL, the Windows Subsystem for Linux. I am not familiar with how to install or use WSL but once you have it working then as far as I understand it should allow you to use Bash and more or less run that code I shared exactly as it's written. (You would first need to do step 1 – explode/unzip your book – and make sure that you are inside the directory you unzipped your book into.) In Bash you can see your current directory by typing pwd (and then Enter), the contents of the current directory with ls (and then Enter – note that you need to use options to see hidden files), instructions for any given command with man command e.g. man ls, and you can change your directory with cd subdirectory_name e.g. if you explode the book into a directory called My Book then you would type cd "My Book" (paths and filenames with spaces should almost always be surrounded by quote marks in Bash).

I wish I knew of some simple GUI tool to help with this but my searching did not turn up anything that looked more useful than the webpage I linked previously.

Last edited by isarl; 02-28-2023 at 11:41 AM.
Advert
Old 02-28-2023, 01:31 PM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I was playing with this and found the page at Online Universal Cyrillic Decoder seemed to work when I selected from the first <p tag in the body of the file to the last </p> tag before the ending div/body/html. I've attached a screenshot of the conversion when I clicked on the OK on the expert line.

@KIE18 I would like to send you a private message though I am surprised that this is not already enabled. This is in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If you don't see it there, please post a request in the Requests to enable Private Messages thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2cyr_screenshot.png
Views:	67
Size:	437.1 KB
ID:	200015  

Last edited by DNSB; 02-28-2023 at 01:34 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:47 AM   #52
KIE18
Enthusiast

You can download this problem book here: https://liolib.org/book/275/3
If you can fix the problem so that the text in the code is displayed in Russian, then send a screenshot to know that this is possible.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:01 AM   #53
KIE18
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I was playing with this and found the page at Online Universal Cyrillic Decoder seemed to work when I selected from the first <p tag in the body of the file to the last </p> tag before the ending div/body/html. I've attached a screenshot of the conversion when I clicked on the OK on the expert line.

@KIE18 I would like to send you a private message though I am surprised that this is not already enabled. This is in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If you don't see it there, please post a request in the Requests to enable Private Messages thread.
It seems to be included.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-03-01_12-58-38.png
Views:	60
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	200031  
Old 03-01-2023, 07:35 AM   #54
isarl
Addict

Quote:
It seems to be included.
Private messaging should be a separate option above the visitor messages options. I think what you see there matches what David said about posting in the thread to request that private messages be enabled on your account.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:17 AM   #55
KIE18
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by isarl View Post
Private messaging should be a separate option above the visitor messages options. I think what you see there matches what David said about posting in the thread to request that private messages be enabled on your account.
Send a screenshot of where and what I need to include.
Old 03-01-2023, 09:23 AM   #56
isarl
Addict

Quote:
Send a screenshot of where and what I need to include.
It appears to be absent from your screenshot. You would need to follow the link in David's comment and post in the thread to request that they be enabled for you, I suppose.

This thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819
Old 03-01-2023, 10:29 PM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You can download this problem book here: https://liolib.org/book/275/3
If you can fix the problem so that the text in the code is displayed in Russian, then send a screenshot to know that this is possible.
See attached images, one is Sigil showing the epub after conversion and a touch of cleanuop and the other is the edit options showing the private message options.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sigil_cyrillic.png
Views:	55
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	200047   Click image for larger version

Name:	edit_options.png
Views:	53
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	200048  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:08 AM   #58
KIE18
Enthusiast

Quote:
See attached images, one is Sigil showing the epub after conversion and a touch of cleanuop and the other is the edit options showing the private message options.
I wrote in the topic about unlocking private messages. When unlocked, I would like to know how you did it: "epub after conversion and a touch of cleanuop".
Old 03-02-2023, 09:18 AM   #59
KIE18
Enthusiast

Quote:
Now there are private messages. Let me know how you did it: "epub after conversion and a touch of cleanuop"?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-03-02_17-15-14.png
Views:	49
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	200058  
Old 03-02-2023, 12:07 PM   #60
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Why by PM? Others could benefit from hearing the solution.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote